Now We Can Die In Peace?

The Boston Red Sox

Now We Can Die In Peace?

Postby Rickey Sez » 24 Apr 2005, 02:52

Dopes, feel free to move this thread... 8) (look at me! I'm Cool Sunglasses Emoticon Guy! LOOKOUT!)

So Simmons has a new book coming out called "Now I Can Die In Peace". Yeah, he's been getting a lot of flack in other threads for it.

But seriously. Those of you out there who are Sox fans... don't you feel this way?

When Rickey got the news ten years ago that Grampa Rickey died, Rickey said "No! No he didn't! The Sox didn't win the World Series yet! He's just tired!"

And then when Rickey had to throw The Dirt on the ol' bastard, Rickey sed "don't worry pops. I'll see 'em win! Rickey's got at least another 77 years in him! Rickey will bet you a glass o' whiskey on that!"

Sonofabitch didn't get to see it.

First think Rickey did after Minky tagged that bag was call The Rickey Gramma.

She said "Hello?"

Rickey sed "Get a shovel and wake that summabitch up, cuz he owes me a drink!"

Rickey hung up the phone and poured two glasses of Jameson.

Rickey Gal was all "they did it! they did it! holy shit!"

Shush, babe. Rickey's gotta go do what Rickey's gotta do.

The full moon was red. Red Sox red. Rickey don't buy into astrology an' all that shit... but man. THE MOON WAS FUCKIN' RED!

The moon was red, and Rickey took a shot out as a shout-out to his dearly-departed.

"Pop," Rickey Sed, "we never had the chance to do this properly. We do this now. Go Sox!"

I drank mine. The glass next to me was emptied. I don't remember how, exactly. Maybe the wind knocked it over. Maybe a squirrel drank it. But I swear I heard the wind make a sound as it passed through the falling leaves, crying "Go Sox!" as I packed up to go inside. I swear.

And I thought, as I went inside, "now I can die in peace. Now my children, and my children's children won't have to make that promise to me. The promise I made to my grandfather as he went on his way."

Every time I take a piss, I look at my balls and see future generations of Red Sox fans.

I see a generation that won't have to bury me with pity, but bury me with pride instead.

Cuz I saw it.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby fatty » 24 Apr 2005, 03:41

yep, dust...that's what it was, dust in my eyes...

I won't defile that in any way, but I want to make 2 comments...

- for the first time in 86 yrs, sox fans had reason to celebrate a WS...and you chose Jameson. I can't tell you how proud that makes a sloppy mick like me. god bless the irish!

-
Rickey Sez wrote:everytime I take a piss I see my balls...
- umm, dude? shouldn't they be tucked a little lower, or do you like hang horizontally to piss? Inquiring minds want to know.

With that out of the way, thank you for the touching story Rickey...as one who was blessed with Tug McGraws dancing and bear hug of Bob Boone at only 4 yrs, then Marlins (now my team) winning, but with only 7 years of history, I never fully understood how much it means to win one after so long. This makes it clear.

A Jameson for you, one for me, and one for the wind...
"I remember reading that he (Jeffrey Maier) went to a mets camp a couple years back and Tony Tarasco was there....If I was him, when no one was lookin, I'd violate him in the bathroom with a metal bat." - Tremendous_side Potential
fatty
Smartest Guy In The Room

Location: velvet bob ross knows not the physical limits of "location"

Postby sportsdorkhater » 24 Apr 2005, 06:09

i agree with most of your sentiments, except for the "when i look at my balls part" but fatty covered that nicely in his comments.

i think any type of shit that sports dork is getting about the book is just becasue there are a ton of red sox books out. my question is why now? sports dork always seems late to the party. (also see, "fever pitch" column that came out about 2 weeks too late) that book wont be out until the fall ? just seems odd.
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby fatty » 24 Apr 2005, 06:37

sportsdorkhater wrote:i agree with most of your sentiments, except for the "when i look at my balls part" but fatty covered that nicely in his comments.

i think any type of shit that sports dork is getting about the book is just becasue there are a ton of red sox books out. my question is why now? sports dork always seems late to the party. (also see, "fever pitch" column that came out about 2 weeks too late) that book wont be out until the fall ? just seems odd.

Seriously, this just seems a little odd for him. You'd think if the book was about the Sox WS, one of two cases would hold true:

1 - He'd already have a good portion written (finishing the "how I felt when it happened" part). I think we can agree he's sold out enough that even his sox fandom would be compromised enough that he wouldn't worry about jinxing them by starting this book before or even during the season

2 - He'd have written the whole thing YEARS ago, as a goof/project/"some day I'll publish this but make myself semi-famous in the meantime" idea. Maybe he writes it as BSG. Maybe he writes it as a mock "fever pitch" script. Maybe he writes it in college and says, "fuck it, if they ever win, I can publish this. If I'm where I want to be as a writer in 10 years, it'll sell millions".

I said before, yeah, I'm gonna buy this, if for no other reason than it has "Bill Simmons" on the cover. But I'm WAY disappointed in his choice of topic.

But all this doesn't belong here. This is a thread about feelings (wow, that sounds quite gay, but ok), and opinions on the book don't belong. I'm off topic...what else is new?

Rickey, the jameson was good. I hope it doesn't sound cheap, but Pops was remembered in Tucson, if only for one night...
"I remember reading that he (Jeffrey Maier) went to a mets camp a couple years back and Tony Tarasco was there....If I was him, when no one was lookin, I'd violate him in the bathroom with a metal bat." - Tremendous_side Potential
fatty
Smartest Guy In The Room

Location: velvet bob ross knows not the physical limits of "location"

Postby Frank the Tank » 24 Apr 2005, 18:42

Rickey, I agree that this thought ("I can die in peace now") went through my head shortly after the Sox won. However I've already got my kids so when I look at my balls I see a liability more than the future (a snip-snip is probably somewhere in my near future). It was more important to me that my son can hold his head high with pride at his school, which is full of front-running Yankees fans. I wanted him to grow up without any stigmas, and this is the theme from the championship that resonates best with me. Simmons' line about being "just another team" would've been more interesting to me as a book title.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rickey Sez » 25 Apr 2005, 21:21

Folks, just to set the record straight, Rickey'z ballz hang down around his shins. (According to legal standards, Rickey can claim this as a "handicap", cuz Rickey has such a hard time walkin' with Softballz for testiclez that he should need a wheelchair to get around) So when the pants come off (and when Rickey'z home, Rickey pullz the pants down to pee so the the "Little Rickeyz" can run free) So it'z pretty hard not to see 'em.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Frank the Tank » 25 Apr 2005, 21:58

Be careful around escalators Rickey.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rickey Sez » 25 Apr 2005, 22:28

Frank the Tank wrote:Be careful around escalators Rickey.

Rickey always takes the stairs.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby thedudeabides » 27 Apr 2005, 09:05

So, I just read this ESPN Page 2 article by Dan Schoenfield. He seems quite bitter towards the Red Sox. Of course, he is a Mariners fan so I guess he has a right to be bitter. I just thought this artilce fit well with this thread. He basically trashes the Sox and all the hype surrounding them year after year. Especially this year and last. I agree somewhat with his assessment but I have to point out that true Sox fans are not responsible for half the hype out there. It's the bandwagon fans and those looking to cash in on the Sox success/lack of success that are making such a big deal about the so-called Curse and 86 years etc...
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby Magnum » 27 Apr 2005, 09:08

thedudeabides wrote:So, I just read this ESPN Page 2 article by Dan Schoenfield. He seems quite bitter towards the Red Sox. Of course, he is a Mariners fan so I guess he has a right to be bitter. I just thought this artilce fit well with this thread. He basically trashes the Sox and all the hype surrounding them year after year. Especially this year and last. I agree somewhat with his assessment but I have to point out that true Sox fans are not responsible for half the hype out there. It's the bandwagon fans and those looking to cash in on the Sox success/lack of success that are making such a big deal about the so-called Curse and 86 years etc...

Dan Schoenfield is a piece of shit.
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 pm MisterTambourineMan you're salt of the earth, jike. like, a lot of salt.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby thedudeabides » 27 Apr 2005, 09:12

Apparently that is the truth.
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby Tecmo Bo » 27 Apr 2005, 09:33

I was pretty chill through the whole WS, more than i would have expected, probably because I was drained after everything that happened with the Yankees, but then it got to be 2 out bottom of the 9th and I didn't know if I was gonna die, crap my pants or shoot a load. Most of the guys I was there with weren't big Sox fans, they were friends who had grown up in other parts of the country, come here for school and adopted the Sox. I stood up and watched that last at bat with tears in my eyes while my friends wondered if my head was gonna explode. Then it happened, it was over.
It was over.
It was over.
No more curse bullshit.
No more 1918.
It was over.
What the HELL were Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore doing on the field?
It was REALLY over.
Called the grandfather, had to make sure he had survived, that he wasn't having a heart attack and that he got to see it all.
I went home and I didn't know what to do with myself, so I went for a walk to fenway, half a mile away. It was the perfect call. High fiving guys on the street on the way there, it was as busy and safe as midday in sumer. People standing outside their front doors, some crying, some not knowing what to do with themselves, not able to express what they were feeling. I knew that sensation well.
For days afterward, the city, the entire city, was in a haze. It was like everyone was on a high that couldn't end, in a dream they didn't want to wake up from. You'd hear people talkign about it everywhere. "Can you believe it? Can you REALLY believe it?'
Even now, in a way, I still don't believe it, I still haven't adjusted to it, it hasn't sunk in. Six months have passed and the IDEA that the Boston Red Sox had the single greatest comeback in sports history, defying certain elimination to go on and WIN. A. WORLD. SERIES.
I bought a 6' long blanket and hung it on my living room wall to remind myself it happened and that it was real because I kept forgetting and doubting.
I still forget sometimes. I listen to games like last night and I start to get down on Foulke and grumble. Then I turn my head and I see the blanket, or my cap, or my computer desktop image of The Ring and I remember and I think, go ahead keith, i don't mind. No amount of blown saves could ever counter or erase what happened last fall.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 27 Apr 2005, 09:44

Tecmo Bo wrote:I still forget sometimes. I listen to games like last night and I start to get down on Foulke and grumble. Then I turn my head and I see the blanket, or my cap, or my computer desktop image of The Ring and I remember and I think, go ahead keith, i don't mind. No amount of blown saves could ever counter or erase what happened last fall.

This is an excellent point. Notice that there has been no "The Offical Foulke Sucks Thread" created yet. I certainly have no intention of starting one solely for the reason Tecmo Bo cites above. David Wells wasn't on last year's squad, nor was Renteria, so I don't feel I need to treat them with any special reverence. However Foulke played in all four WS games and gave us what we needed in the ALCS, and for that he gets a pass from me for recent woes.

Edit: well at least we didn't have a Foulke Sucks thread when I wrote this. Thanks Beautiful.
Last edited by Frank the Tank on 27 Apr 2005, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Magnum » 27 Apr 2005, 09:45

Frank the Tank wrote:
Tecmo Bo wrote:I still forget sometimes. I listen to games like last night and I start to get down on Foulke and grumble. Then I turn my head and I see the blanket, or my cap, or my computer desktop image of The Ring and I remember and I think, go ahead keith, i don't mind. No amount of blown saves could ever counter or erase what happened last fall.

This is an excellent point. Notice that there has been no "The Offical Foulke Sucks Thread" created yet. I certainly have no intention of starting one solely for the reason Tecmo Bo cites above. David Wells wasn't on last year's squad, nor was Renteria, so I don't feel I need to treat them with any special reverence. However Foulke played in all four WS games and gave us what we needed in the ALCS, and for that he gets a pass from me for recent woes.

I don't care what anyone says, Keith Foulke is the man.
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 pm MisterTambourineMan you're salt of the earth, jike. like, a lot of salt.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby thedudeabides » 27 Apr 2005, 09:46

It's getting a little dusty in here.....
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Next

Return to Just another team.