Wakefield

The Boston Red Sox

Postby kaskomm09 » 04 Oct 2007, 15:37

myherobobhope wrote:Looked it up on Wikipedia, apparently the White Sox have a knuckleballer...

found this quote: "Like some cult religion that barely survives, there has always been at least one but rarely more than five or six devotees throwing the knuckleball in the big leagues... Not only can't pitchers control it, hitters can't hit it, catchers can't catch it, coaches can't coach it, and most pitchers can't learn it. The perfect pitch." -Ron Luciano, former AL umpire

Yes, Charlie Haeger. He's decent. He had a real good 2006 in AAA and then struggled a ton to start 2007 down there. He's also struggled with his control the few games the Sox have brought him up.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby myherobobhope » 04 Oct 2007, 15:48

kaskomm09 wrote:
myherobobhope wrote:Looked it up on Wikipedia, apparently the White Sox have a knuckleballer...

found this quote: "Like some cult religion that barely survives, there has always been at least one but rarely more than five or six devotees throwing the knuckleball in the big leagues... Not only can't pitchers control it, hitters can't hit it, catchers can't catch it, coaches can't coach it, and most pitchers can't learn it. The perfect pitch." -Ron Luciano, former AL umpire

Yes, Charlie Haeger. He's decent. He had a real good 2006 in AAA and then struggled a ton to start 2007 down there. He's also struggled with his control the few games the Sox have brought him up.

I'm sure he will be good one day.
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Tremendous_sidePotential » 04 Oct 2007, 17:43

myherobobhope wrote:
Theny wrote:It's his back. Too much golf for ol' Wake.

I'm surprised you don't see more knuckleballers around. That's a good living if you can get it.

Yeah, but who teaches you how to throw a knuckleball nowadays?

I wonder what special skills you need to be a good knuckleballers... I assume it's more than just practice.

It's funny b/c he didn't start pitching until he was in the minors. He's actually Florida Tech's (the local college) all-time home run leader.
http://7up17togo.blogspot.com/

Bricks Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 pm How many chicks have you bedded _?
_ Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 pm: i will say 27 with a confidence interval of around 97%
nerf66 Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 pm: 97% confident they were all women?
Tremendous_sidePotential
The Bomb Dick

Postby myherobobhope » 04 Oct 2007, 18:16

Tremendous_sidePotential wrote:
myherobobhope wrote:
Theny wrote:It's his back. Too much golf for ol' Wake.

I'm surprised you don't see more knuckleballers around. That's a good living if you can get it.

Yeah, but who teaches you how to throw a knuckleball nowadays?

I wonder what special skills you need to be a good knuckleballers... I assume it's more than just practice.

It's funny b/c he didn't start pitching until he was in the minors. He's actually Florida Tech's (the local college) all-time home run leader.

Yeah, I read his wikipedia page, he went from SS (?) and tried to learn other position when he was told he'd never make it out of double A.
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Re: Wakefield

Postby Prez » 03 Nov 2008, 08:06

news from last week:

Sox pick up $4 mil option for Wakefield in 2009

I'm pretty sure he's over the hill, but $4 mil isn't crazy for an insurance policy and he's proven that he can eat up innings at the very least. Since he's not a power pitcher, I don't think age matters that much, but if he can still throw that fuckin flutterball, it might not be a bad move to keep him.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby bosux » 03 Nov 2008, 08:19

Prez wrote:news from last week:

I'm pretty sure he's over the hill, but $4 mil isn't crazy for an insurance policy and he's proven that he can eat up innings at the very least. Since he's not a power pitcher, I don't think age matters that much, but if he can still throw that fuckin flutterball, it might not be a bad move to keep him.

no brainer, imo...assuming the late season health troubles were temporary, and he's going to give you what you got last year, they can cross #4/5 starter off their list now
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Rickey Sez » 03 Nov 2008, 08:50

bosux191820042090 wrote:

no brainer, imo...assuming the late season health troubles were temporary, and he's going to give you what you got last year, they can cross #4/5 starter off their list now

TRU. $4 million a year for this is a great deal. Tons of league average innings for $4 mil is a bargain. Wakefield starts are annoying -- you never know if you're going to get good Wakefield or bad Wakefield -- but he throws a lot of innings and for a 4/5 guy is more than adequate.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby bosux » 03 Nov 2008, 08:58

Rickey Sez wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:

TRU. $4 million a year for this is a great deal. Tons of league average innings for $4 mil is a bargain. Wakefield starts are annoying -- you never know if you're going to get good Wakefield or bad Wakefield -- but he throws a lot of innings and for a 4/5 guy is more than adequate.

going by ERA alone, he's giving above-average innings
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Rickey Sez » 03 Nov 2008, 09:02

bosux191820042090 wrote:
Rickey Sez wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:

Yes, he's slightly above league average for his career. What I'm saying is you can expect him to be about league-average for 180-200 innings a year.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby TheWolf » 03 Nov 2008, 09:08

Agreed. That was an easy decision. You may not know what you're gonna get from game to game with Wakefield, but you pretty much know exactly what you're getting over the course of the whole season. For $4M, you can't pass him up.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby bosux » 03 Nov 2008, 09:13

Rickey Sez wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:
Rickey Sez wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:

Yes, he's slightly above league average for his career. What I'm saying is you can expect him to be about league-average for 180-200 innings a year.

K. i was just talking about last year...he ended up around 4.10, right?
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Rickey Sez » 03 Nov 2008, 09:17

bosux191820042090 wrote:
Rickey Sez wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:
Rickey Sez wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:

K. i was just talking about last year...he ended up around 4.10, right?

4.13 to the laegue average of 4.62, which was substantially better than league average.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Prez » 03 Nov 2008, 09:21

I didn't know this:

Wakefield has one of the most interesting contracts in baseball. Each year for as many seasons as the sides want, the Red Sox can simply bring back Wakefield at a club option of $4 million.

Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby TheWolf » 03 Nov 2008, 09:23

Prez wrote:I didn't know this:

Wakefield has one of the most interesting contracts in baseball. Each year for as many seasons as the sides want, the Red Sox can simply bring back Wakefield at a club option of $4 million.

I knew he had some kind of never-ending option, but I didn't know exactly how it worked. Pretty good deal for both sides.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 04 Nov 2008, 11:08

Wake.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

PreviousNext

Return to Just another team.