Wakefield

The Boston Red Sox

Wakefield

Postby Tecmo Bo » 20 Apr 2005, 08:57

Wakefield's agent, Barry Meister, told the knuckleballer during this past offseason that, given age and productivity, he might command $6 million from some club at the end of the season.

"He said, `Is that club the Red Sox?' " Meister said. "I said, `No, might not be.' He said, `If you said the Red Sox, that's one thing.'

"He waved me off and said, `Money is important, but it's kind of down the list for me. My desire is to be in Boston and be a Red Sox. That's just who I am now.' "
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... eams_grip/

"My desire is to be in Boston and be a Red Sox. That's just who I am now"

Read that over a few more times and think about how many times you may have read similar statements by other players for other teams. Then think about how often players back up that lip service with the kind of decision Wakefield made, to sign a deal that makes him a Red Sox for as long as the team wants him. He doesn't want to be anywhere else or play anywhere else and he took short money to prove it. Varitek is the Captain, he is The Man on the team. Wake is something else entirely, he's the Johnny Pesky of this group of 25 guys. Part Iron Man (can anyone remember the last time he went on the DL?). Part historian (as the longest tenured member of the team). And part Mother Teresa (so to speak. He's been nominated for the Roberto Clemente award for several years running).
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Re: Wakefield

Postby Rickey Sez » 20 Apr 2005, 09:02

Tecmo Bo wrote:
Wakefield's agent, Barry Meister, told the knuckleballer during this past offseason that, given age and productivity, he might command $6 million from some club at the end of the season.

"He said, `Is that club the Red Sox?' " Meister said. "I said, `No, might not be.' He said, `If you said the Red Sox, that's one thing.'

"He waved me off and said, `Money is important, but it's kind of down the list for me. My desire is to be in Boston and be a Red Sox. That's just who I am now.' "
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... eams_grip/

"My desire is to be in Boston and be a Red Sox. That's just who I am now"

Read that over a few more times and think about how many times you may have read similar statements by other players for other teams. Then think about how often players back up that lip service with the kind of decision Wakefield made, to sign a deal that makes him a Red Sox for as long as the team wants him. He doesn't want to be anywhere else or play anywhere else and he took short money to prove it. Varitek is the Captain, he is The Man on the team. Wake is something else entirely, he's the Johnny Pesky of this group of 25 guys. Part Iron Man (can anyone remember the last time he went on the DL?). Part historian (as the longest tenured member of the team). And part Mother Teresa (so to speak. He's been nominated for the Roberto Clemente award for several years running).

It's gettin' wicked dusty in heeyah.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby TheWolf » 20 Apr 2005, 11:22

There must be a big ol' dust storm blowing across the entire northeast Rickey, because I just got hit with it too.

Tim Wakefield is just absolutely fantastic. He was afraid his career was over 10 years ago when the Sox took a shot on him. Since then, he's done every single thing they've ever asked him to do. Starter, middle reliever, closer? Yup, he's done them all. It wasn't always his first choice, but he kept his mouth shut and did what was best for the team, and he was happy to do it every time. He's always willing to make a spot start on short rest when they need him. He'll gladly run out to the bullpen the day after a start if he thinks they might be short on relievers. And game 3 of the ALCS last year just put him right over the top. How many other guys would have said, "We're getting killed out there. Let me go take the beating. We're gonna need the rest of those guys to be fresh for four more games"? I can't think of too many. And now he's essentially saying, "As long as the Sox want me, I'll keep playing for them. If they don't want me, I don't want to play." Just a classy, classy guy. I wish there were more like him.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 20 Apr 2005, 11:27

Thanks Wolf that dust storm has settled over the northeast now.
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Rickey Sez » 20 Apr 2005, 11:37

Very well said, Wolf.

I'm think I'm gonna have to take a walk...
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Tecmo Bo » 20 Apr 2005, 13:01

Tim is one of those rare guys who hasn't forgotten what a PRIVELEGE it is to be paid a pile of money each year that would set most people up for life, to play a kids' game. He hasn't forgotten that almost anyone in the country would swap jobs with him and accept a tenth of what he makes.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby WampaOne » 20 Apr 2005, 13:31

Terrific guy...Luv the Wake!

I am glad he doesn't hold a major grudge from the time he was left out of the 1999 playoff roster (i am not sure if it was the ALDS or ALCS or both)...that sucked by the way.
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby JohnnyDamon » 20 Apr 2005, 20:39

Wampa, I think he realizes that Jimy Williams was prominently involved in the disgrace that was his omission from the 1999 Playoff roster. He's over it. Wakefield is one of the few pro athletes who will always have my respect...
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 21 Apr 2005, 07:20

Maybe Wakefield wakes up every morning, looks in the mirror, and says "life is good, after all I could still be on the Pirates" as a daily affirmation.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Tecmo Bo » 21 Apr 2005, 09:07

Let's hope he gets Arroyo into that same groove.

Wakefield, Arroyo and Ortiz, all picked up for nothing after being released by other teams. Man, the Sox don't need to spend a pile of money to win, they just need other teams to keep doing stupid shit like that.
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 21 Apr 2005, 09:13

Where'd Arroyo come from? Was he with the Pirates too?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JohnnyDamon » 21 Apr 2005, 11:07

Arroyo and Wakefield were both cast away by the Pirates. (In the Pirates' defense on releasing Wakefield, he wasn't very good after his stellar 1992 NLCS)

The Twins were never high on Ortiz for some reason. I guess they figured they would get all the power they needed out of LeCroy and Mientkiewicz. Justin Morneau better be able to provide the pop we need, or else I'll have to choke a bitch.

Millar was dumped by the Marlins and was headed to Japan when Theo came in and brought him to Boston. Say what you want about his outspokenness, but he seems to be a helluva clubhouse guy.

Mueller was cast off by the Cubs, who figured he was nothing more than a platoon player at 3rd base. If not for the trade that got them Aramis Ramirez, this would add even more to the ineptness that is the Cubs.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 21 Apr 2005, 11:45

The Pirates have the double-whammy of being inept at talent evaluation and being severely constrained financially. I understand they weren't going to keep Ramirez forever, but they got squat for him and Lofton. They didn't even do a good job getting out from under Kendall's contract. If I were paying taxes for that beautiful Pittsburgh stadium (the only thing that franchise has done right in the past decade) I would be livid about how pathetic that franchise has become despite all the additional revenue.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby JohnnyDamon » 21 Apr 2005, 11:49

In their defense, if the Wilson brothers and Oliver Perez progress the way I think they will, they could have a solid nucleus for years to come. Sadly, they'll probably hand Perez to the Yankees for Bernie Williams, Ruben Sierra, and one of their 2 decent Prospects, and the Wilson brothers will leave when the getting's good.

I feel for Pirate fans, I've always had a weird liking of them (it generally goes Minnesota, Boston, Pittsburgh on my list of favorite teams. Don't know why). Maybe it's Willie Stargell. Or Kent Tekulve. Or Dick Groat (snicker). Or Don Hoak. Or Roberto Clemente. Or my avatar.....
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 21 Apr 2005, 11:53

When I was seven years old I wanted to be Kent Tekulve. He was the man. Goofy delivery, goofy uniform, goofy look, but a devastating ability to close the game out. I'd like to see the Pirates rise back to respectability.

The point you make JD about them losing the Wilsons and Perez is right on the money. What are the odds they're all Pirates in 2007? What are the odds any of them is a Pirate in 2008? They won't keep them together with the current constratints they place on themselves.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to Just another team.