2014-2015 Offseason - Panda Express

The Boston Red Sox

Re: 2014-2015 Offseason - Panda Express

Postby Briandong79 » 24 Nov 2014, 13:52

JT99 wrote:
ONTB wrote:$180 million dedicated over the next 5 years to Hanley and Panda. They better not suck.

Because there is some fiscal responsibility that the front office has?

Presumably the Dodgers won't come along and take corpses off their hands again.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby ONTB » 24 Nov 2014, 13:54

Briandong79 wrote:
JT99 wrote:
ONTB wrote:$180 million dedicated over the next 5 years to Hanley and Panda. They better not suck.

They do have a budget. It's a large budget, but it's there.
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Postby Gregs Kite » 24 Nov 2014, 14:42

ONTB wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
JT99 wrote:

They do have a budget. It's a large budget, but it's there.

They have a budget when it fits the narrative. The narrative has changed this year. By the way, psssst, John Farrell likely has one year left to figure this out. Dude is a sneaky bad manager.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Gregs Kite » 25 Nov 2014, 13:46

Here we go....

#tvshow #-o

ETA: Sorry, forgot to add who this is, Balls! This is professional baseball player Pablo Sandoval, who recently signed a contract to play with the Boston Red Sox. Next to him is a grown ass person in a panda suit and Boston Red Sox jersey.

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby JT99 » 25 Nov 2014, 13:54

Over / Under on when the term "Panda" will be worn out by the Red Sox management and publicity department is Dec. 21, 2014
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby BigJohnStudd » 26 Nov 2014, 08:11

Is he called Panda because he's half black and half white?
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby JichaelDick » 26 Nov 2014, 15:23

BigJohnStudd wrote:Is he called Panda because he's half black and half white?

No, he's a lovable fat oaf, and his breakout 2009 season took place at the same time as Kung Fu Panda.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 26 Nov 2014, 15:25

Panda gon rake for us
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Rickey Sez » 30 Nov 2014, 22:52

Sandoval has got to be sick of all the Panda shit by now, right?

I wasn't crazy about the prospect of paying Sandoval big buck over lots of years to play 3B. But, let's face it, MLB is flush with cash, the Sox have been under the cap for 3 years, and the luxury tax threshold will likely go up by a lot after 2016. They have money to throw around. 5/102 (with the 6th year buyout) or whatever it is isn't going to look too bad in 2 years.

Third base was a black hole of suck for this team (I don't want to hear "BROCK HOLT!" He played everywhere -- not 3B every day -- and shat the bed in the 2nd half), and an easy way to improve a team is to go from Giant Suck to Above Average Production at a position. The Sox accomplished this by signing Sandoval.

I'm a much bigger fan of the Hanley signing. Feel good story -- his agent contacted the Sox and said he wanted to go there and would willingly change positions. When he's been healthy he's fucking raked. It'll take some time for him to get used to LF. But again, think of the crap the Sox threw out there in the OF last year. Hanley's a near-elite hitter when healthy and I have to think the park helps him here. They're going from Black Hole of Suck to Very Very Good here. And playing 82 games (hopefully) in the small LF at Fenway should reduce some wear and tear on him.

The Sox offense was fucking outrageously awful last year, and bringing these two bats in helps that tremendously. Now onto the pitching. The Lester situation is, well, they gotta sign him. And I think Cespedes goes in a package for a starter. The talks earlier were that Seattle would trade Iwakuma for him if they can't get Justin Upton. I really hope that's the case. Both have contracts that are up after 2015 and have a stipulation in their contracts that they can't be given a qualifying offer. Seattle has tons of young pitching, (gotta find room for Paxton and Walker, possibly Hultzen and Erasmo Ramirez) and needs a slugging RHH OF. I'm really hoping for a Cespedes+package for Iwakuma.

The other rumor is that Detroit needs to free up some payroll and they're talking Cespedes+for the 3 years left on Anibal Sanchez's contract. Hell, I'd do that too. Bring back everyone they gave up in the Beckett/Lowell trade 10 years ago.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Gregs Kite » 03 Dec 2014, 08:06

Rickey Sez wrote:Sandoval has got to be sick of all the Panda shit by now, right?

I wasn't crazy about the prospect of paying Sandoval big buck over lots of years to play 3B. But, let's face it, MLB is flush with cash, the Sox have been under the cap for 3 years, and the luxury tax threshold will likely go up by a lot after 2016. They have money to throw around. 5/102 (with the 6th year buyout) or whatever it is isn't going to look too bad in 2 years.

Third base was a black hole of suck for this team (I don't want to hear "BROCK HOLT!" He played everywhere -- not 3B every day -- and shat the bed in the 2nd half), and an easy way to improve a team is to go from Giant Suck to Above Average Production at a position. The Sox accomplished this by signing Sandoval.

I'm a much bigger fan of the Hanley signing. Feel good story -- his agent contacted the Sox and said he wanted to go there and would willingly change positions. When he's been healthy he's fucking raked. It'll take some time for him to get used to LF. But again, think of the crap the Sox threw out there in the OF last year. Hanley's a near-elite hitter when healthy and I have to think the park helps him here. They're going from Black Hole of Suck to Very Very Good here. And playing 82 games (hopefully) in the small LF at Fenway should reduce some wear and tear on him.

The Sox offense was fucking outrageously awful last year, and bringing these two bats in helps that tremendously. Now onto the pitching. The Lester situation is, well, they gotta sign him. And I think Cespedes goes in a package for a starter. The talks earlier were that Seattle would trade Iwakuma for him if they can't get Justin Upton. I really hope that's the case. Both have contracts that are up after 2015 and have a stipulation in their contracts that they can't be given a qualifying offer. Seattle has tons of young pitching, (gotta find room for Paxton and Walker, possibly Hultzen and Erasmo Ramirez) and needs a slugging RHH OF. I'm really hoping for a Cespedes+package for Iwakuma.

The other rumor is that Detroit needs to free up some payroll and they're talking Cespedes+for the 3 years left on Anibal Sanchez's contract. Hell, I'd do that too. Bring back everyone they gave up in the Beckett/Lowell trade 10 years ago.

Lots of great points, I enjoyed this.

Look, none of this matters if we don't get any pitching. We need two bonafide starters. Not bullshit #3 guys from the NL West like Jake Peavy. Lester is top priority, and why he's not signed right now is mind bottling. Once he goes, that leaves Scherzer and a bunch of second tier guys that will require prospects. Scherzer appears to be waiting for the highest bidder, which means New York, to lay $180 out for him, so I'd pass on him. Hamels is intriguing, if only because he pitched in that cesspool in Philly, which will make Boston seem like Candyland. But, he's also moving from the NL to the AL, which is likely good for another run, run and half on his ERA.

Not for nothing, but I'm all set with Iwakuma. Something about these Japs really burns my ass. If that's raycess, sorry, but not sorry.

I have no idea how Betts, Merrero, Owens or Cecchini will pan out, but if JBJ and Boegarts have shown us, these guys can be tremendously overhyped. I have no problem putting them in a package but it has to be for a 1 or a 1A. Looking back at the recent trades of our "top" prospects, is there anyone we really regret? Casey Kelly? Maybe Anthony Rizzo?

My sources say Lester will likely decide by the end of this week, which leaves the winter meanings wide open to wheel and deal and get someone who can actually pitch here.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 03 Dec 2014, 08:14

I'm actually feeling really turgid about what we've done so far in the offseason. Like Ricky said, we've been under the cap for 3 years now(no cap), so now we can spend some loot. Lester would be the feather in my cap. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I think the play offs are a virtual lock at this point, but hopefully we can be actual pennant contenders. Theo who?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Gregs Kite » 03 Dec 2014, 08:34

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I'm actually feeling really turgid about what we've done so far in the offseason. Like Ricky said, we've been under the cap for 3 years now(no cap), so now we can spend some loot. Lester would be the feather in my cap. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I think the play offs are a virtual lock at this point, but hopefully we can be actual pennant contenders. Theo who?

Aren't you the least bit nervous about what the Blue Jays are doing up there? I am. I'd like to hear your thoughts....

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 03 Dec 2014, 08:53

Gregs Kite wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I'm actually feeling really turgid about what we've done so far in the offseason. Like Ricky said, we've been under the cap for 3 years now(no cap), so now we can spend some loot. Lester would be the feather in my cap. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I think the play offs are a virtual lock at this point, but hopefully we can be actual pennant contenders. Theo who?

Aren't you the least bit nervous about what the Blue Jays are doing up there? I am. I'd like to hear your thoughts....

No. They had their fun last year. JA Happ is one year older, as are many if his teammates. They are not a concern. Can't overlook the Empire unfortunately. I hear they are looking to add Trout.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby ctz31 » 03 Dec 2014, 09:13

What did you guys give up for mb Rizzo? He's pretty good.
ctz31
#nnf

Postby TheWolf » 03 Dec 2014, 09:17

ctz31 wrote:What did you guys give up for mb Rizzo? He's pretty good.

The Sox traded Rizzo, Casey Kelly, and a couple dudes that I don't think have amounted to anything, for Adrian Gonzalez. Who they of course later sent packing in the salary dump to the Dodgers. I think I regret that trade. Although they did get Rubby back in taht Dodgers deal, so there's that.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

PreviousNext

Return to Just another team.