2010-2011 Red Sox Off-Season Thread

The Boston Red Sox

Re: 2010-2011 Red Sox Off-Season Thread

Postby TheWolf » 10 Dec 2010, 08:55

Can someone just shoot me in the balls please? Seems way less painful than trying to figure out what the fuck PJ is talking about.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby ONTB » 10 Dec 2010, 09:01

When the phillies took on halladay in 2010, it was essentially for 5 years 95 million. 15 million in 2010 and 20 million for the next 4 seasons. He will hit that vesting option.
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Postby PhillyJim76 » 10 Dec 2010, 10:13

Whatever, I feel the same way about the Phillies. When they play the Pirates or the Marlins, its like, what's the point.

And if you guys don't see that this nonsense with the Yankees and the Red Sox is ruining this sport in a bunch of other cities, your delusional.
It feels so good to be back.
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Postby PhillyJim76 » 10 Dec 2010, 10:16

TheWolf wrote:Can someone just shoot me in the balls please? Seems way less painful than trying to figure out what the fuck PJ is talking about.

I'd love to see that happen, but I don't know any world-class marksmen who could hit such small a target
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Postby TheWolf » 10 Dec 2010, 11:02

PhillyJim76 wrote:Whatever, I feel the same way about the Phillies. When they play the Pirates or the Marlins, its like, what's the point.

And if you guys don't see that this nonsense with the Yankees and the Red Sox is ruining this sport in a bunch of other cities, your delusional.

I actually do agree with you that it's ruining the sport. I just don't think it's the Yankees' and Red Sox' fault like you seem to. It's the league's and union's fault for allowing it to get to this point.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rickey Sez » 10 Dec 2010, 11:39

PhillyJim76 wrote:And if you guys don't see that this nonsense with the Yankees and the Red Sox is ruining this sport in a bunch of other cities, your delusional.

Only in ARE country.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 10 Dec 2010, 12:06

I read an article about Theo today and how shrewd he is...he has transformed the drafting function so now they get better talent, which they turned into Adrian Gonzalez. He is so shrewd that he drafted that Kelly guy (I think) with the 30th pick in the first round, where it is hard to find good talent evidently. He is so crafty that he plucked this guy that so many teams whiffed on...BC he wouldnt sign with any of them bc of his price! The Red Sox paid him $3 Mil, which was more than all but 7 picks that round. Wow, those Red Sox are so good at scouting, they can really find some blue chippers that other teams somehow miss on ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Faggots.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby kaskomm09 » 10 Dec 2010, 12:32

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I read an article about Theo today and how shrewd he is...he has transformed the drafting function so now they get better talent, which they turned into Adrian Gonzalez. He is so shrewd that he drafted that Kelly guy (I think) with the 30th pick in the first round, where it is hard to find good talent evidently. He is so crafty that he plucked this guy that so many teams whiffed on...BC he wouldnt sign with any of them bc of his price! The Red Sox paid him $3 Mil, which was more than all but 7 picks that round. Wow, those Red Sox are so good at scouting, they can really find some blue chippers that other teams somehow miss on ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Faggots.

You clearly are unaware who spent the most money at the 2010 MLB draft. That'd be the Pirates. Yes, the same team you constantly use as the example of market inequalities. They did exactly what Boston did with Kelly by paying above slot for Stetson Allie in Round 2, a clear Round 1 talent that slipped due to signing demands and signing likelihood. And that was on top of handing out a $6.5M bonus to their top (#2 overall) selection Jameson Tallion. This would be the biggest bonus handed out in franchise history and second biggest in MLB history at the time of the signing (behind Strasburg).

In the end, you're talking about $3M in this argument. Sounds like a figure maybe 2-5 teams in all of baseball could pay out. Oh, and which team traditionally gets the most flack for being the cheapest on draft day? None other than those poor, small market New York Mets. The system is definitely broke.

Besides that, excellent argument though.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby nova » 10 Dec 2010, 12:36

Did the Pirates spend the most money in the draft because they had more picks, and at a higher slot?
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby kaskomm09 » 10 Dec 2010, 12:42

nasty nova wrote:Did the Pirates spend the most money in the draft because they had more picks, and at a higher slot?

They were willing to go over slot on Tallion, who was a high pick (#2 overall). Similarly they went well over slot to ink Allie in round 2, who as I said slipped down the draft board due to sign-ability concerns and price tag in a similar fashion to the Casey Kelly situation (as well as numerous players each year). Those two were obviously the catalysts for the ranking of overall highest bidders.

It doesn't mean the Pirates do it all the time. In 2009, they had the #4 pick and selected someone simply because they knew he'd sign at slot (Tony Sanchez). Sanchez was considered a first round talent by most, but not an elite player in the draft.

My take on it is that the Pirates (1) know there's no repercussions for signing over slot (there aren't), (2) realize that the way to get themselves out of the hole is to spend on the draft and blossom from there and (3) have weighed out situations where they feel the money is or isn't warranted to certain players they have scouted and have the opportunity to sign.
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 10 Dec 2010, 13:56

'over slot'.

Please just say what you are trying to say.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby kaskomm09 » 10 Dec 2010, 15:14

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:'over slot'.

MLB, specifically the commissioners office, tries to limit draft spending by specifying a "slot" or recommended value to pay a draftee based on where they are selected in the draft. "Over slot" implies the team paid out more than this recommendation.
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 10 Dec 2010, 15:28

kaskomm09 wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:'over slot'.

MLB, specifically the commissioners office, tries to limit draft spending by specifying a "slot" or recommended value to pay a draftee based on where they are selected in the draft. "Over slot" implies the team paid out more than this recommendation.

Thank you.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby PhillyJim76 » 10 Dec 2010, 15:41

Bill Simmons wrote:Of course, that $300 million splurging (which won't be official until Gonzo is signed after Opening Day for luxury-tax reasons) led the Yankees fans to start complaining, "You've become who you always despised: us." Please. That happened in 2000 when we dropped $160 million on Manny.

Wake up and smell the coffee, FTT-WOLF
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Postby Theny » 11 Dec 2010, 07:44

PhillyJim76 wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Can someone just shoot me in the balls please? Seems way less painful than trying to figure out what the fuck PJ is talking about.

I'd love to see that happen, but I don't know any world-class marksmen who could hit such small a target

I laughed way too hard at such a stupid joke. Delivery ftw. :lol:
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

PreviousNext

Return to Just another team.