2010-2011 Red Sox Off-Season Thread

The Boston Red Sox

Re: 2010-2011 Red Sox Off-Season Thread

Postby Briandong79 » 16 Dec 2010, 17:43

I keep hearing that Bobby Jenks is going to be the setup guy for Papelbon...did Bard go somewhere, or did he fall out of favor with the team?
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Rickey Sez » 16 Dec 2010, 20:45

Briandean79 wrote:I keep hearing that Bobby Jenks is going to be the setup guy for Papelbon...did Bard go somewhere, or did he fall out of favor with the team?

They're using the "setup" term loosely. Jenks and Bard will both likely pitch with the lead before Papelbon comes in to close, whether that's the 7th, 8th, or whatever. Meaning that one guy won't strictly pitch the 8th and the other guy the 7th, or what have you.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Gregs Kite » 16 Dec 2010, 21:03

Rickey Sez wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:I keep hearing that Bobby Jenks is going to be the setup guy for Papelbon...did Bard go somewhere, or did he fall out of favor with the team?

They're using the "setup" term loosely. Jenks and Bard will both likely pitch with the lead before Papelbon comes in to close, whether that's the 7th, 8th, or whatever. Meaning that one guy won't strictly pitch the 8th and the other guy the 7th, or what have you.

They're not going to dick around with Bard by shifting him from 7th to 8th and vice versa. I think a Pap trade is in the express lane now, though his value is garbage at the moment. Maybe a trade deadline deal for a righty stick?
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Rickey Sez » 16 Dec 2010, 23:54

Mxy wrote:
Rickey Sez wrote:

They're not going to dick around with Bard by shifting him from 7th to 8th and vice versa. I think a Pap trade is in the express lane now, though his value is garbage at the moment. Maybe a trade deadline deal for a righty stick?

I think the idea is to have two non-closer guys who can pitch high leverage innings before it's "closer time". Of the two, I think Bard gets more of the higher leverage opportunities, whether they come in the 7th inning or the 8th.

Offensively, right now the only positions they can really upgrade are SS and C. I'm sure they're not against trading Papelbon, but I don't think Papelbon, who's only under contract through 2011, will get you an upgrade at those positions. Of course, things can change completely by the trading deadline.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Prez » 17 Dec 2010, 00:06

Speaking of Papelbon...a guy I play darts with was telling me he heard that the reason Papelbon left the team last season was due to his cousin (who he was close to) being murdered. Apparently, it fucked him up real bad to the point he was leaving the team every chance he had. Of course, that rumor could be complete bs.

Have any of the "insiders" here heard anything like this?
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 17 Dec 2010, 09:05

No, I havent heard that.

I guess its possible.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Frank the Tank » 17 Dec 2010, 09:22

I hadn't heard the Papelbon murder team leaving etc. stuff, but if the Red Sox made an offer to Rivera (an offer that they had to know had no shot in hell of being accepted) you have to figure that they'd love to get rid of Papelbon right now. I'm with Kite in that I think his value to the team is at its low. He still hasn't agreed to a one-year, has he? He may be the first Sox player to go to arbitration under the Epstein reign. Wouldn't surprise me if they try to trade him for something far less than they would've gotten, say, two years ago. With Bard and Jenks it clearly makes it easier to kick Papelbon to the curve.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Gregs Kite » 17 Dec 2010, 09:23

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:No, I havent heard that.

I guess its possible.

Powerful analysis as always. So...so...NOW.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 17 Dec 2010, 10:10

I give you guys until the end of May before you curse the signing of Bobby Jenks and the day he was born. He's a pyro, setting fires all over the place.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby chrisco » 17 Dec 2010, 10:16

MisterTambourineMan wrote:I give you guys until the end of May before you curse the signing of Bobby Jenks and the day he was born. He's a pyro, setting fires all over the place.

A lot of people say the Sox need a new stadium.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 17 Dec 2010, 10:20

chrisco wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:I give you guys until the end of May before you curse the signing of Bobby Jenks and the day he was born. He's a pyro, setting fires all over the place.

Without a new state of the times stadium, they just can't compete with the big boys and the big budgets.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby chrisco » 17 Dec 2010, 10:23

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
chrisco wrote:

Without a new state of the times stadium, they just can't compete with the big boys and the big budgets.

The good news is they bought a European soccer club. Those things throw off money like an oil well. Pretty soon the Liverpool fish and chips concession tip jar will be signing Pujols to a 10 year $300 million deal.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Previous

Return to Just another team.