2010-2011 Red Sox Off-Season Thread

The Boston Red Sox

2010-2011 Red Sox Off-Season Thread

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Dec 2010, 10:13

Looks like the Sox are going to land Adrian Gonzalez.

I'm not crazy about giving a guy who just had shoulder surgery eight years guaranteed, but hopefully they can make him happy with six or something like that. He'd certainly be a huge addition to the offense.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Re: 2010-2011 Red Sox Off-Season Thread

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 04 Dec 2010, 11:22

Bout time. Now can you get Helton finally?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Dec 2010, 15:39

Balls might need a shoulder to cry on here. Adrian Gonzalez not bound for Boston after all.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 05 Dec 2010, 15:46

Frank the Tank wrote:Balls might need a shoulder to cry on here. Adrian Gonzalez not bound for Boston after all.

OMG I am so done with the internet. Im not reading shit on trades til they are done. I hope we can still get this done somehow.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Prez » 05 Dec 2010, 17:22

Frank the Tank wrote:Balls might need a shoulder to cry on here. Adrian Gonzalez not bound for Boston after all.

As a fan, I usually just hope the Sox spend whatever it takes to land a top player but my thought here is that Gonzalez isn't good enough to get Texiera money. 8 yrs and $180 mil is a little too much.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Gregs Kite » 05 Dec 2010, 17:40

Prez wrote:

As a fan, I usually just hope the Sox spend whatever it takes to land a top player but my thought here is that Gonzalez isn't good enough to get Texiera money. 8 yrs and $180 mil is a little too much.

Utter bullshit. Let's give the useless JD Drew $75 million. Overpay on John Lackey. Pay Renteria and Lugo to play elsewhere. But let's not do something stupid like lock up a 28 year old lefty slugger with a great glove in his prime. Nooooo, let's pretend we're the fucking A's and sign pieces of shit like Mike Cameron and wait three years to see if Casey Fucking Kelly MIGHT be a number 2 starter. But hey, so long as people watch "NESN Daily" and watch those oh so interesting Liverpool FC updates.

Man, can't wait for the Paul Konerko press conference. Good value! Short contract! Yeah! Fuckin idiots.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Dec 2010, 18:42

Mxy wrote:
Prez wrote:

Utter bullshit. Let's give the useless JD Drew $75 million. Overpay on John Lackey. Pay Renteria and Lugo to play elsewhere. But let's not do something stupid like lock up a 28 year old lefty slugger with a great glove in his prime. Nooooo, let's pretend we're the fucking A's and sign pieces of shit like Mike Cameron and wait three years to see if Casey Fucking Kelly MIGHT be a number 2 starter. But hey, so long as people watch "NESN Daily" and watch those oh so interesting Liverpool FC updates.

Man, can't wait for the Paul Konerko press conference. Good value! Short contract! Yeah! Fuckin idiots.

I really hope the numbers come out soon. If Gonzalez was holding out for Teixeira's 8/180, then fuck him. But I'd they weren't willing to do 5/115, or if they kept insisting on some sort of injury clause that gives them an out if his shoulder gets fucked up again and takes all the risk off the table, then fuck the Sox. I understand the desire to protect yourself with players like Bay and Gonzalez, but you can't take all the risk off the table because your competitors are willing to take bigger risks and will get those players.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby JichaelDick » 05 Dec 2010, 19:19

I'd argue that Gonzalez would be worth the 8/$180. He's almost as good defensively, and his numbers are bound to get better at Fenway rather than Petco.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Dec 2010, 19:22

JichaelDick wrote:I'd argue that Gonzalez would be worth the 8/$180. He's almost as good defensively, and his numbers are bound to get better at Fenway rather than Petco.

If 8/180 is a contract the Sox are willing to take on, then they should've gone that far for Teixeira's offer two years ago.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby JichaelDick » 05 Dec 2010, 19:24

Frank the Tank wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:I'd argue that Gonzalez would be worth the 8/$180. He's almost as good defensively, and his numbers are bound to get better at Fenway rather than Petco.

If 8/180 is a contract the Sox are willing to take on, then they should've gone that far for Teixeira's offer two years ago.

I agree, but what they did or didn't do in the past is irrelevant, IMO. Gonzalez is awesome--adding him to the lineup would have helped immensely, and I really don't think THAT contract would have been too much to do.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Dec 2010, 19:30

JichaelDick wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

I agree, but what they did or didn't do in the past is irrelevant, IMO. Gonzalez is awesome--adding him to the lineup would have helped immensely, and I really don't think THAT contract would have been too much to do.

Gonazalez is great and would fit right in at Fenway, but if they needed to offer 8/180 then I'd say that's too much. He's not going to get that anywhere else. Why not wait a year and try to get him as a free agent if thats what its going to take? That way you see how his shoulder fares after the surgery and don't give up the prospects.

My fear is that the number the Sox couldn't live with is smaller and fairer, at which point someone else may trade for him, give him the money, and the Sox will have lost a golden opportunity.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Gregs Kite » 05 Dec 2010, 20:02

Frank the Tank wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

Gonazalez is great and would fit right in at Fenway, but if they needed to offer 8/180 then I'd say that's too much. He's not going to get that anywhere else. Why not wait a year and try to get him as a free agent if thats what its going to take? That way you see how his shoulder fares after the surgery and don't give up the prospects.

My fear is that the number the Sox couldn't live with is smaller and fairer, at which point someone else may trade for him, give him the money, and the Sox will have lost a golden opportunity.

The Sox shit the bed on Texeira and need to make up for it. They're under this illusion that a prime time slugger is going to take four years at a reasonable price. The Yankees won because they overspent for great players in Tex and CC. Think they're worried about years 7 and 8 on Tex' deal? You overpay for this type of talent when you can afford it.

Werth gets 7 years-126 million from the Nationals. Whats A-Gon worth now? Let him enter free agency and the Cubs under new ownership or someone else will go 8/180 and the Sox will be fucked again. Its idiotic and I can't understand why this team is so nutless all of a sudden.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Prez » 05 Dec 2010, 21:14

Don't give up so fast... "sources" say Gonzalez deal is done.

ETA: According to SI, the new deal is for 8 yrs, $167 mil
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Gregs Kite » 05 Dec 2010, 21:24

Prez wrote:Don't give up so fast... "sources" say Gonzalez deal is done.

ETA: According to SI, the new deal is for 8 yrs, $167 mil

Bout time they flexed nuts. This is the one type of player you pay out the asshole for. Whatta sport!
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Theny » 06 Dec 2010, 08:23

I love how you guys are pretending you've ever seen an Adrian Gonzalez at bat. :lol:
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Next

Return to Just another team.