Official "How is There Not a Dustin Pedroia Thread"

The Boston Red Sox

Re: Official "How is There Not a Dustin Pedroia Thread"

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Dec 2008, 09:15

Prez wrote:My plan was to make a vague "Jeter is gay" reference and post a pic like this

but that's just juvenile, so I'll let Rickey handle it.

Both retorts have their place. It's an effective tag team effort, and I commend you both.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rickey Sez » 05 Dec 2008, 10:38

Actually, sux, you're right. Pedroia was voted MVP just so the writers could rub it in Jeter's face.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby SouthernYokel » 05 Dec 2008, 10:43

Rickey Sez wrote:Actually, sux, you're right. Pedroia was voted MVP just so the writers could rub it in Jeter's face.

thought it was fairly well known that jeter will let anybody rub it in his face, no need to do anything special.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby bosux » 05 Dec 2008, 11:37

Rickey Sez wrote:Actually, sux, you're right. Pedroia was voted MVP just so the writers could rub it in Jeter's face.

easy thenthitive thally...i was just pointing out that jeter didn't get it in 2006, and the specific reason given was 'lack of power numbers', but little dusty won in 2008, and it his jeterian lack of power numbers didn't seem to be an issue...i don't see how you can argue that, and i certainly didn't expect you to go all baseball reference jichael dick on me...maybe in the wake of the roid scandal the voters are less infatuated with the long-ball?

jeez, god forbid anyone even hint at slighting a beloved red thock
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Rickey Sez » 05 Dec 2008, 11:43

bosux191820042090 wrote:

easy thenthitive thally...i was just pointing out that jeter didn't get it in 2006, and the specific reason given was 'lack of power numbers', but little dusty won in 2008, and it his jeterian lack of power numbers didn't seem to be an issue...i don't see how you can argue that, and i certainly didn't expect you to go all baseball reference jichael dick on me...maybe in the wake of the roid scandal the voters are less infatuated with the long-ball?

jeez, god forbid anyone even hint at slighting a beloved red thock

:mrgreen: I love how every time one of us answers a question, we're being "thenthative thallys". You asked a question, I gave you an answer. "power numbers" were higher across the board in 2006.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby bosux » 05 Dec 2008, 11:52

sure power numbers were up across the board, but it's not like nobody hit more than 17 homers last year either

rickey is nothing if not loyal to his hearthrobs
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Dec 2008, 14:38

Overrated: Derek Jeter
Underrated: Dustin Pedroia
'nuff said.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby nova » 06 Dec 2008, 10:23

Frank the Tank wrote:Overrated: Derek Jeter
'nuff said.

You can be underrated and win MVP?
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 06 Dec 2008, 11:50

nasty nova wrote:
'nuff said.

Point, nova. Unexpectedly.

He usually posts nonsense and a waste of everyone time. I am surprised to say the least.

Frank, you should be ashamed.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Dec 2008, 14:03

nasty nova wrote:
'nuff said.

When you play for the Red Sox you can. <3

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Prison Mike » 07 Dec 2008, 02:07

Rickey Sez wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:compare these seasons:

runs hits 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO AVG OBP SLG GDP
118 214 39 3 14 97 34 5 69 102 .343 .417 .483 13

118 213 54 2 17 83 20 1 50 52 .326 .376 .493 17

the top is derek jeter's 2006, when he was snubbed for the MVP because of his lack of power numbers
the bottom is sweet dusty's 2008 mvp campaign

i guess power numbers became less valuable over the past 2 years?

It's kind of silly to evaluate the worthiness of one year's MVP by comparing his stats to another year's MVP.

Here is a list of the 2006 AL MVP voting. Click on the names for the stats of the top 5 or so guys.

Now compare those numbers to the guys who headlined the list in 2008.

Offensive numbers were down, especially powers #'s, in the 2008 American League. There were also a lot more "legit" MVP candidates in 2006 than there were in 2008.

You might also want to check Dusty's monthly splits. Look at those second half numbers, especially the August and September numbers when Manny was gone from the sox lineup. I bet that held a lot of cache (right or wrong) with the MVP voters, much like Morneau's second half (coupled with the Twins' surge) in 2006 did.

In fairness, Jeter also had an excellent 2nd half in 2006. But the Twins/Morneau plus the number of other worthy candidates spelled doom for him in 2006. In 2008, Pedroia was the best of the bunch, and in the eyes of some voters proved his value by raising his game after the Sox traded off their best hitter.

And besides, it's not like Derek Jeter ever gets slighted for recognition.

I'm with bosux on this. Jeter should have won in 06.

From FireJoeMorgan with Pedroia's 08 numbers:

Jeter WARP3: 12.1
Morneau WARP3: 8.6
Pedroia WARP3: 9.8

Jeter Win Shares: 33
Morneau Win Shares: 27
Pedroia Win Shares: 26

Jeter VORP: 80.5
Morneau VORP: 52.0
Pedroia VORP: 59.8

Jeter EqA: .324
Morneau EqA: .315
Pedroia EqA: .299

Jeter RC: 138
Morneau RC: 121
Pedroia RC: 123

Jeter FRAR: 39
Moreau FRAR: 16
Pedroia FRAR: 36

Jeter WPA: 5.98
Morneau WPA: 4.46
Pedroia WPA: 3.29

Jeter OBP: .417
Morneau OBP: .375
Pedroia OBP: .376

And a comparison between Jeter and the other candidates in 06.
2007-2008 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
Prison Mike
Hope College Alum

Postby bosux » 07 Dec 2008, 12:40

prison mike, welcome to rickey's foe list :mrgreen:
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Rickey Sez » 07 Dec 2008, 15:28

I still don't see what Pedroia winning in '08 has to do with Jeter losing in '06? Did Pedroia go back in time and blackmail people into not voting for Jeter or something?

There is definitely an argument to be made that Jeter should have won over Morneau in 2006. But I don't see what Pedroia's 2008 season has to do with it.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Prison Mike » 07 Dec 2008, 16:11

I guess my point with comparing Pedroia's 08 stats with Jeter's 06 stats is that this award is pretty much meaningless. I think there were at least 5 or 6 better candidates than Pedroia, and that him winning was a result of the BBWAA having a better "story" to write about. Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, and Mariano Rivera all had higher WARP, and I think Joe Mauer and Kevin Youkilis were both more important to their teams than Pedroia was. Not to mention Carlos Quentin, who was the frontrunner heading into September. It's not that Pedroia is undeserving, but there were better candidates this year.
2007-2008 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
Prison Mike
Hope College Alum

Postby Gaylord » 10 Dec 2008, 18:10

Do you guys think Jacoby Ellsbury is jealous of all the attention that cute little Dusty Pedroia is getting these days, just a year ago wasn’t Ellsbury the one all you Sawx fan were jerking off to? Didn’t Bill Simmons have him on his list of 5 guys he was allowed to do without the Sportsgal getting mad? Nowadays Ellsbury can probably leave the house and go out on the town without even being approached by a bunch of Sawx fans offering to blow him, or engage in some homosexual extra-curriculars… tough break for him, the Bostonians are nothing but fickle with their manlove for their “dreamy” sports figures…
TheDooze - I'll win with stories, and Tom Brady-esque swagger

IhateTomBrady - Tom Brady-esque swagger? Is that code for walking bow-legged from the ass reaming your boyfriend gave you the night before Dooze?
Gaylord
Etiquette Instructor

PreviousNext

Return to Just another team.