Feeding The Monster

The Boston Red Sox

Feeding The Monster

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 07 Jul 2006, 08:58

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/07/07/inner_workings_revealed/?p1=MEWell_Pos2

Other Ram?rez tidbits: stat analyst Bill James did a study in the 2003 season in which Ram?rez was cited for half of the 60 instances in which Sox players did not hustle, and this spring, after the Sox did not trade him yet again after he'd asked to be dealt, Ram?rez directed a rant at the owners in which he referred to them as ``[expletive] white devils."
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

Postby Rodney Farva » 07 Jul 2006, 09:01

what kind of name is "Mnookin"?

[rob neyer] Hey, wait, my bosox book that nobody bought was called Feeding the Monster! No fair! [/rob neyer]
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Rickey Sez » 08 Jul 2006, 22:19

Rodney Farva wrote:what kind of name is "Mnookin"?

[rob neyer] Hey, wait, my bosox book that nobody bought was called Feeding the Monster! No fair! [/rob neyer]

From what I remember, Seth Mnookin was a regular poster on SOSH (and also the editor or someshit of Vanity Fair.) He's getting tons of play on the Globe and on SOSH.

I can't imagine that Theo's thrilled about this, especially from what I've read in the excerpts. But w.e.

And everytime I see his name, I can't help but think "I did it all for Mnookin! Mnookin! And you can take Mnookin' and stick him up your (AAHH!) Stick him up your (AAHH!!) stick him up your (AAHH!!)

Also, if Nova was his dad, he totally would have named him M'uhnookin.

ETA -- If he writes a sequel to this book, I hope it's called "Mnookin 2: On The Move."
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby sportsdorkhater » 09 Jul 2006, 08:44

maybe andrew mccarthy can play this mnookin dude . . .gotta hunch he's available

I am actually interested in reading the book. I heard that there is some info about the Pedro negotiations and that St. Louis had gotten into the mix with a 4 year offer at some point towards the end of negotiations . . . I had never heard that before
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Rodney Farva » 09 Jul 2006, 09:00

Rickey Sez wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:what kind of name is "Mnookin"?

From what I remember, Seth Mnookin was a regular poster on SOSH (and also the editor or someshit of Vanity Fair.) He's getting tons of play on the Globe and on SOSH.

I can't imagine that Theo's thrilled about this, especially from what I've read in the excerpts. But w.e.

And everytime I see his name, I can't help but think "I did it all for Mnookin! Mnookin! And you can take Mnookin' and stick him up your (AAHH!) Stick him up your (AAHH!!) stick him up your (AAHH!!)

Also, if Nova was his dad, he totally would have named him M'uhnookin.

ETA -- If he writes a sequel to this book, I hope it's called "Mnookin 2: On The Move."

apparently mr. mnookin was a heroin junkie for awhile (maybe the name drove him to it, i don't know), a music critic, a newsweek reporter, wrote a lot for salon, and wrote a book on the ny times and the jayson blair scandal. i think he's also written for vanity fair as you remember.

i don't think theo will mind so much, they did give him unlimited access. i'm interested in the book, i'm not a big bosox fan but it still sounds pretty interesting. i think the dynamic at the top with henry-werner-lucchino-theo should give a lot of good fodder to the whole thing.

here's a review of the book by jonathan yardley, an old-fart book reviewer and longtime baseball fan, in the washington post.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby sportsdorkhater » 16 Jul 2006, 08:47

I am about half-way through the book and while I find it interesting because I like behind the scenes type stuff when it comes to pro sports(which is why I liked the short-lived 'Hard Knocks' on HBO) I havent come across anything earth shattering. It seems to have confirmed a few things that I had thought previously, namely that Theo has a more long-term view of how to run the team while Lucchino is more short term/revenue minded.

I also like the fact that the author took the time out to explain why the "Curse" as told by the CHB is bullshit.

One other thing that was interesting/frustrating was reading the note about the 1999 AL MVP vote. This has always bothered me and to find out that one of the douches that had left Pedro off the ballott completely(Yankees cheerleader . . er, writer, George King) had used the excuse that he doesnt believe in voting for pitchers for MVP. Turns out that in previous years he had cast MVP votes for David Wells and Rick Helling. He also was the only writer in America to give Jete a first place vote that year.

ETA: nova, this is the CHB reference:

Shaughnessy is referred to by many posters on the Sons of Sam Horn site as "CHB," in reference to a 2000 incident in the Sox clubhouse between center fielder Carl Everett and Shaughnessy's Globe colleague, Gordon Edes. Everett told Edes to leave the clubhouse and to take his "curly-haired boyfriend" ? Shaughnessy ? with him.
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 16 Jul 2006, 09:15

I remember hearing that King also voted for Mariano one year also.
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

Postby Tremendous_sidePotential » 16 Jul 2006, 11:35

sportsdorkhater wrote: Turns out that in previous years he had cast MVP votes for Rick Helling.

:shock:
http://7up17togo.blogspot.com/

Bricks Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 pm How many chicks have you bedded _?
_ Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 pm: i will say 27 with a confidence interval of around 97%
nerf66 Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 pm: 97% confident they were all women?
Tremendous_sidePotential
The Bomb Dick

Postby Rickey Sez » 17 Jul 2006, 09:12

Seth Mnookin sucks.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby sportsdorkhater » 26 Jul 2006, 15:50

Finally finished this book and overall, I would have to give it a "meh". Most of the stuff was already known or suspected and the new info/insight was few and far between. It was still kind of interesting to read but nothing groundbreaking.
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Rodney Farva » 19 Aug 2006, 15:16

just started it, about 50 pages in, and it bugs me that there are factual errors that seem pretty glaring and stuff that even a superficial baseball fan would know.

he describes barry bonds as willie mays' grandson.

he describes the end of the '78 season as putting the sox into a one-game playoff for the division title, just like when the sox were in a playoff with cleveland 30-some years earlier.

of course, bonds is mays' godson, and in the late 40s there were no divisions, the one-gamer would be for the AL title and a trip straight to the world series.

i found he has a corrections page on his web site acknowledging mistakes in the book, including the mays/bonds error, but not the playoff.

nits. love picking them.

i see h8r's point about not seeing anything new, but since i don't have daily access to the new england media it should be a more interesting level of detail for me. so far not exactly thrilled with his writing style, but not enough to put the book down.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Re: Feeding The Monster

Postby Gregs Kite » 07 Mar 2013, 16:10

Noted Boston-masochist Longwind Barry Petchesky tracked down yet another Bostoncentric story on Carl Crawford being #butthurt.

What a big, wide, musky, hairy labia he is.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Rodney Farva » 08 Mar 2013, 04:00

Gregs Kite wrote:Noted Boston-masochist Longwind Barry Petchesky tracked down yet another Bostoncentric story on Carl Crawford being #butthurt.

What a big, wide, musky, hairy labia he is.

which one, petchesky or crawford? because there's enough in that article to accuse either one of them.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 14 Jun 2013, 16:24

ImageImageImageImage

Only in Boston can people profit from a 'tragedy'. Assholes.

ImageImage
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Briandong79 » 14 Jun 2013, 22:02

Haha yeah I never saw any 9/11 merchandise.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Next

Return to Just another team.