Red Sox Fans: Die Hards or Frontrunners?

The Boston Red Sox

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Jul 2006, 15:08

nasty nova wrote:Last I checked, Sooner nation did not have an 86 year exercise in futility.

Are you kidding? They're voluntarily living in Oklahoma! If that's not futility I don't want to know what is. :P
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby JichaelDick » 06 Jul 2006, 15:12

nasty nova wrote:
the cheese wrote:
nasty nova wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:I'm pretty sure every team in history has higher attendance/more sold merchandise during times when they are winning.

Yes, but I am pretty sure that no other team in history has called itself "The Nation" and marketed itself as a group of diehards who have stuck by their team through their 86 year exercise in futility.

Sooner Nation.

Last I checked, Sooner nation did not have an 86 year exercise in futility. Perhaps chez or JD can verify this?

Unless you count the Gary Gibbs era in double dog years, no. I mean, Jim Tatum, Bud Wilkinson, Chuck Fairbanks, Barry Switzer, Howard Shnellenberger, and Bob Stoops as coaches, and Roy Williams, Billy Vessels, Tommy McDonald, the Burris brothers, Jimmy Harris, the Selmon brothers, Keith Jackson, Troy Aikman (for a year before being replaced by Jamelle Holloway),Steve Owens, Billy Sims, the Boz, Josh Heupel, Quentin Griffin, Jason White, Adrian Peterson, Mark Peterson, Tommie Harris and Teddy Lehman as players? Not too shabby
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby the cheese » 06 Jul 2006, 15:19

JichaelDick wrote:
nasty nova wrote:
the cheese wrote:
nasty nova wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:I'm pretty sure every team in history has higher attendance/more sold merchandise during times when they are winning.

Yes, but I am pretty sure that no other team in history has called itself "The Nation" and marketed itself as a group of diehards who have stuck by their team through their 86 year exercise in futility.

Sooner Nation.

Last I checked, Sooner nation did not have an 86 year exercise in futility. Perhaps chez or JD can verify this?

Unless you count the Gary Gibbs era in double dog years, no. I mean, Jim Tatum, Bud Wilkinson, Chuck Fairbanks, Barry Switzer, Howard Shnellenberger, and Bob Stoops as coaches, and the Selmons, Roy Williams, Billy Vessels, Tommy McDonald, the Burris brothers, Jimmy Harris, the Selmon brothers, Keith Jackson, Troy Aikman (for a year before being replaced by Jamelle Holloway),Steve Owens, Billy Sims, the Boz, Josh Heupel, Quentin Griffin, Jason White, Adrian Peterson, Mark Peterson, Tommie Harris and Teddy Lehman as players? Not too shabby

In addition to 4 Heisman Trophy winners and 141 All-Americans, OU has won 7 National Titles and 39 Conference Championships.

Note that OU's 7 National Titles all came after the unified era, in which only the UPI and AP titles were recognized, unlike other programs that claim more. Only Notre Dame has more legitimate national titles than OU.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby JichaelDick » 06 Jul 2006, 15:22

Can I at least claim bullshit on the 1950 title? And, in fairness, for years, until the Bob Devaney Era, the Big 8 was about as competitive as the Sun Belt Conference. Not to take anything away, cheese, OU has a helluva program, but still...
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby sportsdorkhater » 06 Jul 2006, 15:28

JichaelDick wrote:Can I at least claim bullshit on the 1950 title? And, in fairness, for years, until the Bob Devaney Era, the Big 8 was about as competitive as the Sun Belt Conference. Not to take anything away, cheese, OU has a helluva program, but still...

you can do all that and more in the classic college sports thread.
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby JichaelDick » 06 Jul 2006, 15:34

sportsdorkhater wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:Can I at least claim bullshit on the 1950 title? And, in fairness, for years, until the Bob Devaney Era, the Big 8 was about as competitive as the Sun Belt Conference. Not to take anything away, cheese, OU has a helluva program, but still...

you can do all that and more in the classic college sports thread.

Fair enough
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Re: Red Sox Fans: Die Hards or Frontrunners?

Postby nova » 26 Oct 2010, 14:02

Hi Friends-

Two part question here:

Which players would the Die Hards like to acquire?
Which players would the Frontrunners like to acquire?
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Prez » 26 Oct 2010, 14:19

nasty nova wrote:Hi Friends-

Two part question here:

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning that they would like to acquire different players. Both groups presumably are fans who want to improve the team. Die-hards have just been fans for a lot longer.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby nova » 26 Oct 2010, 15:36

Prez wrote:
nasty nova wrote:Hi Friends-

Two part question here:

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning that they would like to acquire different players. Both groups presumably are fans who want to improve the team. Die-hards have just been fans for a lot longer.

I consider the reasoning to be that diehards would not look at this as a way to be the redheaded stepbrother to the Yankees, and start/end every conversation with "WE NEED CLIFF LEE!". Feel free to substitute "Die Hards" with "People Who Know Shit" and "Frontrunners" with "Moron Pink Cap/Prefades".
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 20 Oct 2011, 09:41

I saw some dumb dunce today driving a semi-beat-up Civic (PA plates), with a faded Red Sox bumper sticker. Not pre-faded, just faded because she obviously got it in 2004 or 2005. And now the c*nt is most certainly a Phan of the local team, but doesnt want to look stupid and get rid of that bumper sticker. So she most likely just goes down to 'Phils' games in the hopes that some decent looking guy with an ok job will fall for her scheme to land a husband...they'll fuck a couple times, then he'll stop calling. She'll continue to post on Facebook about how she loves the Phils in the hopes that some other sucker will take pity on her and maybe even date her. If she is really lucky, she even get a husband out of it, and then she can finally drop the charade of pretending that baseball is cool, and go back to her normal life of watching Bravo and contributing nothing to society.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Rodney Farva » 20 Oct 2011, 10:45

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I saw some dumb dunce today driving a semi-beat-up Civic (PA plates), with a faded Red Sox bumper sticker. Not pre-faded, just faded because she obviously got it in 2004 or 2005. And now the c*nt is most certainly a Phan of the local team, but doesnt want to look stupid and get rid of that bumper sticker. So she most likely just goes down to 'Phils' games in the hopes that some decent looking guy with an ok job will fall for her scheme to land a husband...they'll fuck a couple times, then he'll stop calling. She'll continue to post on Facebook about how she loves the Phils in the hopes that some other sucker will take pity on her and maybe even date her. If she is really lucky, she even get a husband out of it, and then she can finally drop the charade of pretending that baseball is cool, and go back to her normal life of watching Bravo and contributing nothing to society.

so you and belle finally called it quits?
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 20 Oct 2011, 10:46

Making a lot of assumptions there. Sounds to me like this person is a die hard sox fan who has supported her team for years. Go Sox. Go baseball. Go America.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Gregs Kite » 27 Oct 2011, 20:33

Clayton Bigsby wrote:Making a lot of assumptions there. Sounds to me like this person is a die hard sox fan who has supported her team for years. Go Sox. Go baseball. Go America.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Gregs Kite » 03 Oct 2014, 09:13

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby nerf66 » 22 Dec 2014, 23:33

Dear Kite,

My wife grew up in New Hampshire. As a result she is a SAWX/Pats/Celts/Bruins fan. What's the most I should pay for tix to take her fam to Fenway? Bonus points for the most I should pay to take a group from SOTSG.

Thank you in advance,

N66
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

PreviousNext

Return to Just another team.