Red Sox Fans: Die Hards or Frontrunners?

The Boston Red Sox

Postby sportsdorkhater » 05 Jul 2006, 08:27

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:My stance is, I think every city is the same. You win, people come to games. You lose(all the time), people dont care and stop going. Boston and NY are not better 'baseball towns' than any other place. Thats rubbish. The stats above say so. Thats all.

Im just glad I could help point that out. :)


I dont think you proved anything other than the fact that you are obsessed with Boston. :D

Seriously, SD's doesnt know what he is talking about. The Celtics did own the town/region in 1986 and the reason everyone was at the Garden that night was because it was a playoff game. Its common sense, attend a playoff game and watch one of the best teams in NBA history or go sit in the stands on a cold night in April and watch the Sox play Seattle. Most Celtics fans were/are probably Sox fans. I think too much is being made of this one night. I dont think you have uncovered anything out of the ordinary. Also, the Pats were not ahead of the Sox during that time. They might not have been ahead of the Bruins.
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn
 
Posts: 6514
Joined: 22 Feb 2005, 18:25

Postby nova » 05 Jul 2006, 08:30

sportsdorkhater wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:My stance is, I think every city is the same. You win, people come to games. You lose(all the time), people dont care and stop going. Boston and NY are not better 'baseball towns' than any other place. Thats rubbish. The stats above say so. Thats all.

Im just glad I could help point that out. :)


I dont think you proved anything other than the fact that you are obsessed with Boston. :D

Seriously, SD's doesnt know what he is talking about. The Celtics did own the town/region in 1986 and the reason everyone was at the Garden that night was because it was a playoff game. Its common sense, attend a playoff game and watch one of the best teams in NBA history or go sit in the stands on a cold night in April and watch the Sox play Seattle. Most Celtics fans were/are probably Sox fans. I think too much is being made of this one night. I dont think you have uncovered anything out of the ordinary. Also, the Pats were not ahead of the Sox during that time. They might not have been ahead of the Bruins.


I guess what makes DC different. The Wizards, Caps, and Nationals could all win championships in their respective leagues, and they would still be candles to the Redskins' sun.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25499
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

Postby Briandong79 » 05 Jul 2006, 08:54

Frank the Tank wrote:I disagree about all towns being equal, but the best baseball town in America isn't New York, Boston, or Chicago. It's St. Louis. Their die-hard-to-poser ratio is the highest in all of MLB.


Agreed. St Louis is an extremely underrated sports city, especially when it comes to the Cardinals.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31126
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Postby MoreCowbell » 05 Jul 2006, 08:56

Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:I disagree about all towns being equal, but the best baseball town in America isn't New York, Boston, or Chicago. It's St. Louis. Their die-hard-to-poser ratio is the highest in all of MLB.


Agreed. St Louis is an extremely underrated sports city, especially when it comes to the Cardinals.


It should be noted that Boston remains the only city where the baseball team holds a higher rating share than the football team, this includes St Louis.
User avatar
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 09:01

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 05 Jul 2006, 08:58

If STL hadnt made the playoffs in 10-15 years, would the fans still be there? I dont know. They have enough success to keep everyone interested. Plus, they had McGwire, and now Poo-Holes......theres reasons to follow that team.

sdh wrote:I dont think you proved anything other than the fact that you are obsessed with Boston.

I know, its an issue. I get insane when I see Boston hats around here.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber
 
Posts: 31042
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Postby MoreCowbell » 05 Jul 2006, 08:59

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
sdh wrote:I dont think you proved anything other than the fact that you are obsessed with Boston.

I know, its an issue. I get insane when I see Boston hats around here.


Hope I never run into you on the street..
User avatar
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 09:01

Postby sportsdorkhater » 05 Jul 2006, 08:59

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:If STL hadnt made the playoffs in 10-15 years, would the fans still be there? I dont know. They have enough success to keep everyone interested. Plus, they had McGwire, and now Poo-Holes......theres reasons to follow that team.

sdh wrote:I dont think you proved anything other than the fact that you are obsessed with Boston.

I know, its an issue. I get insane when I see Boston hats around here.


if they were visors, would that help?
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn
 
Posts: 6514
Joined: 22 Feb 2005, 18:25

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 05 Jul 2006, 08:59

MoreCowbell wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
sdh wrote:I dont think you proved anything other than the fact that you are obsessed with Boston.

I know, its an issue. I get insane when I see Boston hats around here.


Hope I never run into you on the street..


....maybe a dark alley?

sdh wrote:if they were visors, would that help?

YES!
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber
 
Posts: 31042
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Postby Scoring Machine » 05 Jul 2006, 18:00

Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:I disagree about all towns being equal, but the best baseball town in America isn't New York, Boston, or Chicago. It's St. Louis. Their die-hard-to-poser ratio is the highest in all of MLB.


Agreed. St Louis is an extremely underrated sports city, especially when it comes to the Cardinals.


It's a great sports city, I just don't know how underrated it is. The national media frequently mentions how knowledgeable the STL baseball fans are. If you're already considered one of the best, it's hard to be underrated.
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
User avatar
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor
 
Posts: 1576
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 13:58
Location: Playing Intermurals

Postby DirtDawg » 06 Jul 2006, 08:27

Scoring Machine wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:I disagree about all towns being equal, but the best baseball town in America isn't New York, Boston, or Chicago. It's St. Louis. Their die-hard-to-poser ratio is the highest in all of MLB.


Agreed. St Louis is an extremely underrated sports city, especially when it comes to the Cardinals.


It's a great sports city, I just don't know how underrated it is. The national media frequently mentions how knowledgeable the STL baseball fans are. If you're already considered one of the best, it's hard to be underrated.


People love their sports teams in St. Louis. Football, baseball, even hockey.

What boggles my mind is why they never got a pro basketball franchise there. The people would definitely support it, IMO.
Bricks - given the opportunity I would rape your dead grandmother's corpse and burn down your house. No offense.
MTM - A saint that rapes is still saint.
User avatar
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 7664
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 14:13
Location: RIP. Just Win, Baby

Postby nova » 06 Jul 2006, 08:29

DirtDawg wrote:
Scoring Machine wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:I disagree about all towns being equal, but the best baseball town in America isn't New York, Boston, or Chicago. It's St. Louis. Their die-hard-to-poser ratio is the highest in all of MLB.


Agreed. St Louis is an extremely underrated sports city, especially when it comes to the Cardinals.


It's a great sports city, I just don't know how underrated it is. The national media frequently mentions how knowledgeable the STL baseball fans are. If you're already considered one of the best, it's hard to be underrated.


People love their sports teams in St. Louis. Football, baseball, even hockey.

What boggles my mind is why they never got a pro basketball franchise there. The people would definitely support it, IMO.


St. Louis did have an NBA team-- the Hawks. They left for Atlanta.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25499
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

Postby someguysomewhere » 06 Jul 2006, 13:22

DirtDawg wrote:
Scoring Machine wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:I disagree about all towns being equal, but the best baseball town in America isn't New York, Boston, or Chicago. It's St. Louis. Their die-hard-to-poser ratio is the highest in all of MLB.


Agreed. St Louis is an extremely underrated sports city, especially when it comes to the Cardinals.


It's a great sports city, I just don't know how underrated it is. The national media frequently mentions how knowledgeable the STL baseball fans are. If you're already considered one of the best, it's hard to be underrated.


People love their sports teams in St. Louis. Football, baseball, even hockey.

What boggles my mind is why they never got a pro basketball franchise there. The people would definitely support it, IMO.


Well, they didn't get my beloved Vancouver Grizzlies because when Bill Laurie (??), one of the Wal-Mart heirs planned to buy the Griz and move them to St. Louis, the NBA refused to approve the sale. So, that Heisley guy bought the Griz instead, made all the right noises about trying to make it work in Vancouver, then moved them to Memphis within a year. Where they're losing a buttload of money. Maybe they'll end up in St. Louis next.
User avatar
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot
 
Posts: 10404
Joined: 19 May 2006, 12:04
Location: The foul line, looking terrified.

Postby the cheese » 06 Jul 2006, 14:49

nasty nova wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:I'm pretty sure every team in history has higher attendance/more sold merchandise during times when they are winning.


Yes, but I am pretty sure that no other team in history has called itself "The Nation" and marketed itself as a group of diehards who have stuck by their team through their 86 year exercise in futility.


Sooner Nation.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Postby BostonSportsGirl » 06 Jul 2006, 15:02

the cheese wrote:
nasty nova wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:I'm pretty sure every team in history has higher attendance/more sold merchandise during times when they are winning.


Yes, but I am pretty sure that no other team in history has called itself "The Nation" and marketed itself as a group of diehards who have stuck by their team through their 86 year exercise in futility.


Sooner Nation.


Well played cheese
Tue 16:16] jack_daniels: do you know anything besides the red sox and how many guys you fucked?
User avatar
BostonSportsGirl
Hope College Alum
 
Posts: 180
Joined: 27 Mar 2006, 15:04
Location: Philly

Postby nova » 06 Jul 2006, 15:04

the cheese wrote:
nasty nova wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:I'm pretty sure every team in history has higher attendance/more sold merchandise during times when they are winning.


Yes, but I am pretty sure that no other team in history has called itself "The Nation" and marketed itself as a group of diehards who have stuck by their team through their 86 year exercise in futility.


Sooner Nation.


Last I checked, Sooner nation did not have an 86 year exercise in futility. Perhaps chez or JD can verify this?
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25499
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

PreviousNext

Return to Just another team.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest