Red Sox Fans: Die Hards or Frontrunners?

The Boston Red Sox

Red Sox Fans: Die Hards or Frontrunners?

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 04 Jul 2006, 20:29

From Simmons' book:

In 1978 and 1979, more than 2.3 million fans passed through Fenway each season for an average of 29,000 fans per home game. By 1984, that number had dipped to 1.66 million and 20,000 per game. On April 29, 1986, when Roger Clemens struck out 20 Seattle batters and turned the franchise's fortunes around - in fact, everything that led to the 2004 World Series started that day - there were fewer than 14,000 spectators at Fenway that night. People were just more interested in the Celtics and Patriots...until Clemens' remarkable performance changed everything. By 1988, the team was averaging 30,000 per game, a mark it topped 11 times over the next 16 years........By 2004, that number had climbed to 36,298, which was also the capacity of the ballpark. In other words, every home game had sold out.

There you have it. Boston is just a front-running town. I have no numbers on this, but Id imagine the Pats werent selling out til fairly recently, and the Cs probably arent the hottest draw these days either.

So, I dont want to hear about Boston being this great baseball city, and places like Phily, Pittsburgh, etc arent good baseball cities. If the Sox had endured all the losing the other teams have, fans would drop them too.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby sportsdorkhater » 04 Jul 2006, 20:32

did this need a thread? dont you essentially say the same thing in most of your posts?
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 04 Jul 2006, 20:34

sportsdorkhater wrote:did this need a thread? dont you essentially say the same thing in most of your posts?

yes. yes.

Im surprised you didnt call me out on reading Simmons book. I read the prologue.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby sportsdorkhater » 04 Jul 2006, 20:42

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
sportsdorkhater wrote:did this need a thread? dont you essentially say the same thing in most of your posts?

yes. yes.

Im surprised you didnt call me out on reading Simmons book. I read the prologue.

Im just happy that you can read
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby MoreCowbell » 05 Jul 2006, 07:48

I'm pretty sure every team in history has higher attendance/more sold merchandise during times when they are winning.
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby nova » 05 Jul 2006, 07:52

MoreCowbell wrote:I'm pretty sure every team in history has higher attendance/more sold merchandise during times when they are winning.

Yes, but I am pretty sure that no other team in history has called itself "The Nation" and marketed itself as a group of diehards who have stuck by their team through their 86 year exercise in futility.
Last edited by nova on 05 Jul 2006, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Jul 2006, 07:53

Thank you for your concern BSMB. We'll take it under consideration. Thank you for your continued support of our service and/or product.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby MoreCowbell » 05 Jul 2006, 07:57

nasty nova wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:I'm pretty sure every team in history has higher attendance/more sold merchandise during times when they are winning.

Yes, but I am pretty sure that no other team in history has called itself "The Nation" and marketed itself as a group of diehards who have stuck by their team through their 86 year exercise in futility.

I had no idea we had the power to market ourselves. And here I always thought that was the team management, desperately trying to make up for the money they're not getting by having such a small stadium.
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby Rodney Farva » 05 Jul 2006, 07:59

nasty nova wrote:

cubs are in a slightly similar position. i'm just saying.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby MoreCowbell » 05 Jul 2006, 08:01

Rodney Farva wrote:
nasty nova wrote:

Yeah, that whole "look at these die-hard fans! they're the best fans in sports!" thing tends to happen when you dont win for decades..
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby nova » 05 Jul 2006, 08:06

MoreCowbell wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:
nasty nova wrote:

Yeah, that whole "look at these die-hard fans! they're the best fans in sports!" thing tends to happen when you dont win for decades..

I am just playing devil's advocate. My opinion is that every team has an assload of frontrunners who jump on the bandwagon, but it's just a lot more prevalent with the Sox because, as BSMB has said ad naseum, ESPN loves to show that side of baseball.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 05 Jul 2006, 08:13

My stance is, I think every city is the same. You win, people come to games. You lose(all the time), people dont care and stop going. Boston and NY are not better 'baseball towns' than any other place. Thats rubbish. The stats above say so. Thats all.

Im just glad I could help point that out. :)

BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Rodney Farva » 05 Jul 2006, 08:15

if a legitimate discussion breaks out in this thread, then the terrorists have won. so, uhm, screw you, man.

the over-attention paid to both those franchises well predates espn, it's just even worse today. and, er, uhm..... suck it.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Jul 2006, 08:17

I disagree about all towns being equal, but the best baseball town in America isn't New York, Boston, or Chicago. It's St. Louis. Their die-hard-to-poser ratio is the highest in all of MLB.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby MoreCowbell » 05 Jul 2006, 08:18

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:My stance is, I think every city is the same. You win, people come to games. You lose(all the time), people dont care and stop going. Boston and NY are not better 'baseball towns' than any other place. Thats rubbish. The stats above say so. Thats all.

Im just glad I could help point that out. :)

But you say the "people" like they are one entity, and they either come or they don't. I'd classify people into about 3 categories: the real fan, the casual fan, and the non fan. The real fan goes and watches no matter what. The casual fan latches on and claims diehard status when they win. The non fan perhaps also starts going to games and/or buying the gear to be "cool". I'd say this is true of just about any team.

I think the people that claim Boston & NY fans are better, are using the argument that the "real fan" in these cities are more knowledgable about the game than fans from other cities. Not that I'd make such an argument, as that's a broad generalization.
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Next

Return to Just another team.