Pedro now a Metropolitan!

The Boston Red Sox

Pedro now a Metropolitan!

Postby MRh » 13 Dec 2004, 16:24

Looks like Petey just signed with the Mets.

What do people think?

I can't really fault Pedro because he's getting an extra $14M or so, plus four years instead of three. It's a shame to see him leave, but I'm glad he didn't go to the MFNYY. I think he'll do very well in the National League and I really wish him luck. The Sox couldn't afford to sink that kind of $ and length of contract in Pedro, so I'm fine with the non-signing.

Although I am interested to see what he says during the press conference...
"On any day I can be anyone's daddy."

-Pedro Martinez
MRh
n00b

Postby Dunking Donut » 13 Dec 2004, 17:29

I don't think it's official yet.

I saw good for Pedro, bad for the Mets. I just can't see Pedro being worth $13M four years from now. Or even three.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby RILefty4 » 13 Dec 2004, 17:59

I'm gonna miss the best pitcher i've seen in my lifetime.

But I don't fault the Sox at all.

Bye Pedro...

Tonight looks to be the last night I wear my #45 jersey... at least until its official.
RILefty4
Yankee

Postby mister bacon » 13 Dec 2004, 18:30

It will be interesting to see if Pedro throws inside as agressively as he did when he was in the AL. Now that he comes up to bat.. we will see if it makes a difference.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JohnnySaves18 » 13 Dec 2004, 18:46

I'm with the Rhode Island Lefty...greatest pitcher I've seen in my lifetime. Unfortunately it looks like he's taking the money and running, but I credit Theo for not being bullied into offering a contract that everyone at the outset said would be bad for the team and the only one we say making Pedro walk...I honestly didn't think anyone would do it, but hey, thats the business of baseball.

It's only the 13th of December though, plenty of time for Theo to work his magic...
Fidem Servavi.

Stoked isn't an official Male color (primaries, secondaries and grays). We'll color you... orange.--TecmoBo
JohnnySaves18
Chuggo

Postby bringbackthewhalers » 13 Dec 2004, 18:54

I had the honor of watching Petey dominate SD in June...best I'd seen him pitch since 99. It's a shame he wont finish his career in Beantown, but we all knew he wasnt the same Pedro anymore and there's no way Theo couldve justified topping such a ridiculous offer
Fidem Servavi.
bringbackthewhalers
Hope College Alum

Postby RILefty4 » 13 Dec 2004, 19:37

As much as he isn't the old Pedro, I look forward too seeing his numbers next year and the looks on the faces of NL batters who haven't seen him before. Maybe it isn't just the money... facing all those new batters (and a pitcher) can only help him
RILefty4
Yankee

Postby TAbbott » 13 Dec 2004, 21:21

For that amount of money, good luck in Shea old buddy. Like a lot of people, I do think Pedro will have more success in the NL. I don't see how he makes it through the next few year with out breaking down seriously.

It was a blast, Pedro.
"If he played defense, were a little more athletic, and didn't have diabetes, he'd be a lock for the number 1 pick." - Chad Ford on Adam Morrison
TAbbott
Czar-like official

Postby Snake » 14 Dec 2004, 04:15

According to Gammons Pedro's agent is asking that the Mets not include an MRI of Pedro's shoulder as part of his physical. O/U on the number of innings he throws in the uniform before he hits the DL for the first time 55 2/3.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 14 Dec 2004, 09:05

I'm just looking forward to watching him swing the bat a bit more
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby TheDooze » 14 Dec 2004, 12:10

Last edited by TheDooze on 10 Feb 2009, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Big Scary Monster » 14 Dec 2004, 12:32

You forgot the part where JR would yell, "Oh my GOD! Is that a Boston hat that he is putting on? Pedro NO! Oh my GOD!"
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Tecmo Bo » 14 Dec 2004, 15:25

Pedro got his reputation as a headhunter when he was in the NL, going back won't stop him from pitching inside.

If Pedro were to pull that kind of ove at the press conference, I pledge to name my first born son Pedro in his honor.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 14 Dec 2004, 15:29

Tecmo Bo wrote:Pedro got his reputation as a headhunter when he was in the NL, going back won't stop him from pitching inside.

If Pedro were to pull that kind of ove at the press conference, I pledge to name my first born son Pedro in his honor.

Hell I'd name my first daughter Pedro If he did that, allow someone needs to get a chairshot, maybe Selig if he just happened to be there
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Jake62 » 14 Dec 2004, 16:26

Is this not the ultimate move of the digruntled artist formerly nown as Pedro? To use the Sox like a cheap whore after all of the abuse they put up with ranks up pretty high in potential "lifetime movie of the week" scripts. And now he wont take an MRI on the shoulder. How far away is Pedro from pulling a Van gogh and cut off his throwing arm because the midget told him to. Reports indicate that his shoulder is about 95% screwed so why not just lose the whole thing. He's Pedro, he can grow a new one and until then he can just hurl fast balls with his feet or ass (depending on the meal). I feel betrayed by the dominican. He really lost his mind game 7 two years ago and it appears we now have documented proof (the midget was good but we apparently needed more).
"Fire made it good."-HJ Simpson
Jake62
Doug Christie

Next

Return to Just another team.