Mirabelli

The Boston Red Sox

Mirabelli

Postby Tecmo Bo » 30 Nov 2004, 11:40

Am i the only one thrilled to see Doug back?
Putting aside the image of jason Varitek catching Tim Wakefield... if Tek doesn't drop his price and does sign elsewhere, i feel pretty comfortable letting Doug serve as the primary catcher. he already knows most of the staff, most importantly Wake, has solid D and he's no Pokey Reese with the bat. he's not Tek either and doesn't have his leadership qualities, but he's easily the best backup in the game and could start on several teams. Can anyone think of a better available option other than Tek? I can't.
Welcome back Doug.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 30 Nov 2004, 12:09

I completely agree. If Tek doesn't come back, Mirabelli should be the starter next season. The only other free agent catchers that I was even remotely interested in were Damian Miller and Benjie Molina, and they both signed already. There's definitely no option out there (besides Tek) that looks better than Mirabelli. I've long thought that, given the chance to play every day, Mirabelli would be one of the better offensive catchers in the league. He had 160 at-bats last season, which I think is a decent enough sample size to have an indication of how good a hitter he is. He hit a very respectable .281, and no catcher with as many at-bats topped his .525 slugging percentage. I'm not saying he's a 40-homer guy or anything. But if he got 400+ at-bats, which most primary catchers do, he could easily hit 25. I'd definitely be OK with a 25-homer guy hitting in the 8 or 9 hole, which is where he'd probably be. And he's shown that he's able to handle the staff, especially Wake. Obviously Tek's leadership is pretty much irreplacable, but Mirabelli's no slouch either. He's a veteran guy who's been with the team for a while, and I think his teammates respect him in the same way they respect Tek, just not quite to as high a degree. I'll be sad to see Varitek go, if he does, but I can't think of a better available replacement.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Frank the Tank » 30 Nov 2004, 12:36

I think Mirabelli is great, but we still need to resolve the Tek issue one way or another soon because Mirabelli's not going to catch all 162 games this year. Given Mirabelli's historical usage you have to figure that asking him to catch anything above 125 games is going to wear him down awfully quickly.

Having said that I think Mirabelli is a perfect example of the high-quality role player that helped make the Sox a fantastic team that played even better than the sum of its parts last season.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Dunking Donut » 30 Nov 2004, 13:18

I'm happy with this signing. I think 'belli is a solid catcher that can put up respectable numbers given more playing time. I think the dropoff from Tek won't be that great, certianly not $8.5M worth (which is plenty leftover to sign a top tier pitcher, a la Pavana, Radke, Leiter, etc..).
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Tecmo Bo » 30 Nov 2004, 13:27

If they don't sign Tek, they'll promote Shoppach and hope he adjusts ala Varitek under Hatteberg.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Rickey Sez » 30 Nov 2004, 14:54

Rickey recalls reading somewhere that Mirabelli resigned with the Sox because he wanted to be a part time/backup catcher. Rickey doesn't remember where so he can't provide a link...

Rickey might also be wrong about that. But Dougie's, what, 34 now? And he's never been a full-time catcher except for one year in San Francisco.

Call Rickey crazy, but Rickey still thinks Pedro and 'Tek are back in Sox unis next year.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby TheWolf » 30 Nov 2004, 15:28

As always, I agree with Rickey.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rickey Sez » 30 Nov 2004, 15:36

Also, Rickey would like to add that Rickey is soooo freakin' sick of hearing about Kelly freakin' Shoppach that Rickey wishes the Sox would just send him away to Ja-freakin'-pan already.

Kelly Shoppach shosucks shoverymuch.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Snake » 01 Dec 2004, 02:39

Dunking Donut wrote:I'm happy with this signing. I think 'belli is a solid catcher that can put up respectable numbers given more playing time. I think the dropoff from Tek won't be that great, certianly not $8.5M worth (which is plenty leftover to sign a top tier pitcher, a la Pavana, Radke, Leiter, etc..).

Get off this extra pitcher bandwagon. Leiter is older than Schilling and NL pitchers coming into the AL always struggle the first year, so if you're bringing in an NL pitcher be prepared to make the investment (I'm really hoping the Yankees do manage to dump Vazquez, that man is a great pitcher and if they gave him another year to adjust to New York before declaring him a failure he'd be back to his old self). Pavano I believe is ours already, Radke is clearly in decline, unless Theo is thinking about giving Roger a phone call (and frankly I'd like to see this happen for shock value almost as much as I'd like to see us sign Nomar as a 1 year stopgap) he should suck it up, spend the money on Tek and Pedro, and trade Shoppach for a middle reliever or two.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Dunking Donut » 01 Dec 2004, 09:49

Why? We'll need pitching because Lowe, and probably Pedro, will be gone next year. Schilling is a #1 and Arroyo and Wake are good 4&5 guys, and Kim blows. We need #2 & 3 starters and anybody decent ain't that cheap.

If the Sox need to cut payroll to avoid the luxury tax, there's only so many places to do it. To keep Tek, Lowe, and Pedro, the Sox will have to spend $30M in '05 (and '06 and '07). To get two of the pitchers I mentioned, 'belli, and backup catcher (assuming Shoppach isn't ready) will cost around $18M. So, you get younger, stay on par or slightly better with pitching, and save $12M. It makes complete sense.

Mirabelli will be 36 and making $1.5M when his contract is up. Tek would be 37 (assuming he gets 10/5) and making $10M. How does that work in the Sox's favor?
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Rickey Sez » 01 Dec 2004, 10:12

Boras conceded his 5 year demands. Nobody, and rightly so, was gonna give 'Tek 5 years. (Not even the Mets!)

Apparently Gammons is reporting that Boras is looking 4/44 with the sox going 4/36. 4/36 is still a LOT for a catcher, and a catcher who will be 37 at the end of his contract.

Here's the Gammons thing.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby Snake » 01 Dec 2004, 14:57

Dunking Donut wrote:Why? We'll need pitching because Lowe, and probably Pedro, will be gone next year. Schilling is a #1 and Arroyo and Wake are good 4&5 guys, and Kim blows. We need #2 & 3 starters and anybody decent ain't that cheap.

If the Sox need to cut payroll to avoid the luxury tax, there's only so many places to do it. To keep Tek, Lowe, and Pedro, the Sox will have to spend $30M in '05 (and '06 and '07). To get two of the pitchers I mentioned, 'belli, and backup catcher (assuming Shoppach isn't ready) will cost around $18M. So, you get younger, stay on par or slightly better with pitching, and save $12M. It makes complete sense.

Mirabelli will be 36 and making $1.5M when his contract is up. Tek would be 37 (assuming he gets 10/5) and making $10M. How does that work in the Sox's favor?

You also lose that production in the batting order. The Red Sox have a lineup of 9 good hitters (depending on who plays shortstop next year), so it's not like they can replace Varitek's production by upgrading another position's offense. I can tell you that Leiter already turned down 8 mil and Radke is offering the Twins 9 mil as a hometown discount. I'm already assuming that Pavano replaces Lowe, which leaves Pedro's slot open for one of the pitchers you mentioned. None of those pitchers is even close to Martinez caliber, particularly in Pedro in warm weather, so what's the point of paying them? If you aren't going to pay Tek then you gotta pay Pedro because no one out there is better. Either way you still haven't replaced Varitek's production (and remember that the reason we haven't traded Shoppach already is that no one in the league thinks he can hit), and the only other open spot in our lineup is at shortstop, where we don't need to commit a ton of money because we have Hanley Ramirez coming up. Also we all know that chemistry is the most important factor in winning championships, and this is the first group of Red Sox maybe since Ted Williams day that has it. You think we should give up the team leader to save money on the luxury tax? If that's your philosophy go root for the Brewers.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Dunking Donut » 01 Dec 2004, 16:33

I'm replying in our other thread. :)
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby thedudeabides » 11 Sep 2005, 07:07

This really doesn't belong in this thread but...Mirablli looked lonely so....I feel that a Kapler apology to yankee fans is completely unessasary. Any other teams fan....yes but....yankee fans are apes and deserve no respect.....

NEW YORK - Gabe Kapler issued an apology to the New York Yankees following yesterday's 9-2 victory at Yankee Stadium and said he didn't intend to show up the Red Sox' rivals by racing to an unmanned second base in the ninth inning.
Kapler, who went 2-for-5, was on first base with two outs in the ninth after reaching safely on a fielder's choice grounder. With New York playing back and the Sox leading by seven runs, the veteran outfielder violated baseball's unwritten protocol by taking the base on defensive indifference.
The gesture could easily have been interpreted as a sign the Sox were flaunting their large lead. Kapler said it was simply a brain cramp on his part.
``I pride myself on being professional,'' he said. ``I'm not showing anyone up. It was a poor error in judgment. I just want to make sure they all know that I apologize and fell asleep. It was nothing but me not thinking about the situation of the game.'
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby sportsdorkhater » 11 Sep 2005, 09:02

apology or no apology, i wouldnt get too comfortable in the batter's box today if i was kapler
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Next

Return to Just another team.