The Official Jon Papelbon Might Suck Thread

The Boston Red Sox

The Official Jon Papelbon Might Suck Thread

Postby thedudeabides » 01 Aug 2005, 08:30

IP H R ER BB SO HR PT-ST ERA
5.1 4 3 2 5 7 2 100-60 3.38

Jon Papelbon obviously made his Major League debut yesterday and while he was impressive only in spurts, I think it's safe to say that he is going to be a great pitcher in the Majors, barring any injuries. He definitely showed poise pitching at Fenway for the first time in the Majors. He has some seriously good stuff (except for his curveball....which sucks). I don't know about the rest of you Sox fans but I am excited about Papelbon, Delcarmen and the other key prospects emerging in the Majors the next 2 or 3 seasons. Who needs to make trades when you have talent in the system that is quite possibly Major League ready.
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby sportsdorkhater » 01 Aug 2005, 09:23

thedudeabides wrote:IP H R ER BB SO HR PT-ST ERA

Jon Papelbon obviously made his Major League debut yesterday and while he was impressive only in spurts, I think it's safe to say that he is going to be a great pitcher in the Majors, barring any injuries. He definitely showed poise pitching at Fenway for the first time in the Majors. He has some seriously good stuff (except for his curveball....which sucks). I don't know about the rest of you Sox fans but I am excited about Papelbon, Delcarmen and the other key prospects emerging in the Majors the next 2 or 3 seasons. Who needs to make trades when you have talent in the system that is quite possibly Major League ready.

whoa, easy big fella. one game. im a papelbon fan as well, but jeebus, lets wait and see before he becomes your next gabe kaplar.

a little perspective. kevin morton, who in the late 80's/early 90's was one of the best pitching prospects in MLB , here is the line from his debut on 7/5/91:

Boston Red Sox IP H R ER BB SO
Morton W (1-0) 9.0 5 1 1 1 9

that was about as good as it got for him and he only pitched in the majors that one year.

remember brian rose? he was mentioned in the same breath as carl pavano(not that pavano has been great) coming up in the organization. what the hell did he ever do? the sox are loaded with prospects, but who knows how they will turn out . . . lets stay calm
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Tecmo Bo » 01 Aug 2005, 09:34

Some perspective does need to be taken, but Papelbon IS a very talented pitcher, much moreso than Rose or Juan Pena (remember him?). Papelbon, Delcarmen, Sanchez, Ramirez, Youkilis and Pedroia all stayed with the organization, these guys are one of the reasons the sox didn't make a deal, they know they have the organizational depth, the talented youngsters, to be able to patch any holes at the big league level. Something they haven't done in quite some time.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby thedudeabides » 01 Aug 2005, 09:44

sportsdorkhater wrote:

whoa, easy big fella. one game. im a papelbon fan as well, but jeebus, lets wait and see before he becomes your next gabe kaplar.

a little perspective. kevin morton, who in the late 80's/early 90's was one of the best pitching prospects in MLB , here is the line from his debut on 7/5/91:

that was about as good as it got for him and he only pitched in the majors that one year.

remember brian rose? he was mentioned in the same breath as carl pavano(not that pavano has been great) coming up in the organization. what the hell did he ever do? the sox are loaded with prospects, but who knows how they will turn out . . . lets stay calm

I don't think I'm jumping gun at all. Brian Rose, Pavano, Jaun Pena, were never as hightly regaurded as Papelbon and Lester. Certainly I'm not predicting Roger Clemens status here. I don't anyone will be like that. Granted it was just one game, I usually see alot worse from Sox pitchers ML debut than what I saw with Papelbon yesterday.
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby Dunking Donut » 01 Aug 2005, 09:45

One game is just one game like the other guys said.

Who's the guy that pitched well for a few months and then fell on a glass and cut his back? Wasn't Brian Rose and his name is escaping me at the moment. There was Hang Soon Lee, too. Wilton Veras (3B).

There's so many good Red Sox prospect that come up and do well for a few weeks and then just suck and are never heard from again. We should make a game out of it or something.

That or 'DH/1B's home run hitter that are past their prime that the Sox signed and did nothing' game.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby thedudeabides » 01 Aug 2005, 09:47

It was Brian Rose....... and if you read the title of the thread...I purposefully inserted the word "Possible" there to reduce the friction of this being a glory post.
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby sportsdorkhater » 01 Aug 2005, 09:51

thedudeabides wrote:
sportsdorkhater wrote:

I don't think I'm jumping gun at all. Brian Rose, Pavano, Jaun Pena, were never as hightly regaurded as Papelbon and Lester. Certainly I'm not predicting Roger Clemens status here. I don't anyone will be like that. Granted it was just one game, I usually see alot worse from Sox pitchers ML debut than what I saw with Papelbon yesterday.

rose and pavano were very highly thought of dude, i disagree. it was almost rose that was included in the pedro martinez trade. you are jumping the gun. its one game. you have him penciled into the rotation after one start. i thought he looked good at times and had good velocity, but he missed location an awful lot and the BB's were unacceptable. i wont rain on your parade dude and i wont post any papelbon images, i learned my lesson with the kapler incident. :lol:
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby thedudeabides » 01 Aug 2005, 09:55

I agree with...I already said that...... I'm just trying to spark some conversation on this dead board today. And for the record....I never said Kapler was a good player...just a good guy..... then you changed that for me so......[shutters]
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby Tecmo Bo » 01 Aug 2005, 10:00

A lot of those guys, Lee, Veras... were very touted in Boston, but did not get much respect amon national minorleague scouting circles. They were the best the Sox had, but in those days, that wasn't saying much. Papelbon, Lester, Sanchez, Ramirez and Pedroia are some of the best prospects in baseball, all among the top 75 prospects.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby DoubleDeuceDalton » 01 Aug 2005, 10:09

don't forget the immortal robinson checo and paxton crawford - a man who "fell out of bed on to a glass," requiring a major ER stitch job, and a month on the disabled list.
"Vaya con dios"

--Johnny Utah
DoubleDeuceDalton
Chuggo

Postby thedudeabides » 01 Aug 2005, 10:14

Paxton Crawford..... that's right..... it wasn't Brian Rose......my mistake.
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby Tecmo Bo » 01 Aug 2005, 10:27

Crawford is still pitching, currently for cincinnati in AA.
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dunking Donut » 01 Aug 2005, 15:30

DoubleDeuceDalton wrote:don't forget the immortal robinson checo and paxton crawford - a man who "fell out of bed on to a glass," requiring a major ER stitch job, and a month on the disabled list.

Paxton Crawford. That's the guy. Thank you, Deuce.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby thedudeabides » 02 Aug 2005, 15:37

Well.... Papelbon has been moved back to AAA. The ever fearsome hitter, Jose Cruz Jr. has replaced his spot on the roster. So please disredard this thread until September call-ups.
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby Prez » 17 Aug 2005, 12:25

thedudeabides wrote:Well.... Papelbon has been moved back to AAA. The ever fearsome hitter, Jose Cruz Jr. has replaced his spot on the roster. So please disredard this thread until September call-ups.

Well, we didn't have to wait til September to get another look at JONATHAN Papelbon. This kid could be a big time asset down the stretch and certainly in future years.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Next

Return to Just another team.