Any Given Wednesday

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: Any Given Wednesday

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 12 Dec 2016, 17:01

Briandong79 wrote:Simmons was pretty open about why AGW crashed and burned:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/bill-si ... nthly.html

I think isn’t that part of all this stuff? When you have some success with anything, I think, at a certain point people are like ‘fuck this guy.’

“My whole attitude is, I’m really glad I tried it. I learned a lot. I would do 100 things differently. But it’s on to the next one. If you have a 40-year career, you’re not gonna do everything perfectly…We just gotta figure out the next thing.

[HBO has] been great. I love the HBO family. There’s a bunch of things I would do differently. I think the biggest thing is, I thought the show, in retrospect, I wish it’d been monthly. I think it’s really hard to do a weekly show and just pop in and out and be like ‘here’s my take.’ Cause the way the sports cycle goes, with that 24/7. You know, on Monday morning, everyone’s banging podcasts, all those FS1, ESPN shows. Everyone’s got the take on whatever and I don’t know how you just parachute in on Wednesday and have a take that’s greater than everyone’s take.

“The thing with me is I really want to do an interview show and that’s what I was passionate about. And we did some stuff on that show that I thought was really cool. I don’t know if it should have been every week but, like, we had Nas and [Kevin] Durant together for a half-hour. It was fucking awesome. I love that.

On whether or not critics are right in that his talent doesn’t translate to TV:

“They might be right, my show just got cancelled.

“I thought we did some good stuff on the NBA show, especially the first year. I think a lot of depends on what the vehicle is…I didn’t want to come back to Countdown for the second year. It was brutal to do that show. It was 55 times a year. You’re getting up at 6:30 on Sunday morning to do the 9:30. You’re on the road for five weeks. I didn’t want to do it and they all lobbied for me to do it again.

I don’t know. I love doing the podcast. I love doing the longform stuff. I think with a half-hour weekly show, especially, and I knew this going into it, you have to be a performer You just have to. Look at all the people that succeed in it. It’s all people who are like these characters. Even someone like Sam Bee, who I think that show’s great. She’s a performer. Or like [John] Oliver. Oliver can stare at the camera for 40 minutes and just do this thing.”

Howard Simmons over here.
It was brutal to do that show. It was 55 times a year. You’re getting up at 6:30 on Sunday morning to do the 9:30. You’re on the road for five weeks.

Brutal!

He should cut his losses and just retire. He's a hack.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Previous

Return to Even More Cowbell