Any Given Wednesday

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: Any Given Wednesday

Postby Dthefritz » 04 Nov 2016, 13:55

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:The run of AGW can be succinctly summed up as: :mailitin:

What did you want him to do? Learn about sports other than the NBA, AL/AFC east? Learn new pop culture references that weren't in his columns a decade ago? Should he be who YOU want him to be? Don't be so greedy.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 04 Nov 2016, 14:20

Dthefritz wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:The run of AGW can be succinctly summed up as: :mailitin:

What did you want him to do? Learn about sports other than the NBA, AL/AFC east? Learn new pop culture references that weren't in his columns a decade ago? Should he be who YOU want him to be? Don't be so greedy.

It needed to generate more viral content, according to people. Wasnt the court room skit with Rapaport shared on Facebook and Twitter thousands of times?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Dthefritz » 04 Nov 2016, 14:23

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

It needed to generate more viral content, according to people. Wasnt the court room skit with Rapaport shared on Facebook and Twitter thousands of times?

TBF, he missed out on a lot of viral content cuz girls turned him down after magic Johnson got AIDS.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Gregs Kite » 04 Nov 2016, 14:30

Sorry for your lost, DTF. I am cheering for you to find another Simmons based outlet to hate follow and create unnecessary strife in your world.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Goose » 04 Nov 2016, 14:31

Dthefritz wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

TBF, he missed out on a lot of viral content cuz girls turned him down after magic Johnson got AIDS.

Never forget: #BaggySweaterEra

:-({|=
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 04 Nov 2016, 14:34

If Ratings pick up on Wednesday nights will it be because of the Simmons Theory?
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby mj3528 » 04 Nov 2016, 14:35

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:If Ratings pick up on Wednesday nights will it be because of the Simmons Theory?

Did you see that somewhere? If not, you should tweet it.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 04 Nov 2016, 14:35

Unfortunately I saw it in another comment.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Incogneetus69 » 04 Nov 2016, 19:34

Ouch they still owe him a lot of money do they reassign him to making documentaries ? Maybe make a column and just scroll the text like the Star Wars intro.

How would that Inteo start?
Incogneetus69
Another dude worth meeting

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 05 Nov 2016, 00:39

Maybe they could make him drive a cab and bring back Taxi Cab Confessions
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Incogneetus69 » 05 Nov 2016, 07:04

Maybe they'll have him on cathouse
Incogneetus69
Another dude worth meeting

Postby God Shamgod » 05 Nov 2016, 09:49

One last time, BUILD YOUR OWN FUCKING FOOTBALL STADIUM. T's & P's.
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Postby BigJohnStudd » 05 Nov 2016, 10:51

"Maybe a sports channel should make some sports documentaries" isn't exactly brilliant thinking.

Not a lot of people remember that originally "30 for 30" was intended to cover unknown footnotes and backstories, but people were more interested in straight-up documentaries instead of coverage of what the marching band was doing on game day. So maybe Bill's producerial instincts weren't that great after all, and instead he lucked out in that someone whipped his idea into something that people wanted to view.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby Dthefritz » 06 Nov 2016, 19:34

BigJohnStudd wrote:"Maybe a sports channel should make some sports documentaries" isn't exactly brilliant thinking.

Not a lot of people remember that originally "30 for 30" was intended to cover unknown footnotes and backstories, but people were more interested in straight-up documentaries instead of coverage of what the marching band was doing on game day. So maybe Bill's producerial instincts weren't that great after all, and instead he lucked out in that someone whipped his idea into something that people wanted to view.

Agreed. What bill does deserve credit for is using whatever influence/sounding board he had to get ESPN to do anything worthwhile at all. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I think the network was at something of a low point in the mid 2000'S, what with shit like Dream Job, Who's now, etc. That said, once he got more meaningful creative input, he proved disastrous and typically narrow-minded.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Briandong79 » 12 Dec 2016, 16:53

Simmons was pretty open about why AGW crashed and burned:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/bill-si ... nthly.html

I think isn’t that part of all this stuff? When you have some success with anything, I think, at a certain point people are like ‘fuck this guy.’

“My whole attitude is, I’m really glad I tried it. I learned a lot. I would do 100 things differently. But it’s on to the next one. If you have a 40-year career, you’re not gonna do everything perfectly…We just gotta figure out the next thing.

[HBO has] been great. I love the HBO family. There’s a bunch of things I would do differently. I think the biggest thing is, I thought the show, in retrospect, I wish it’d been monthly. I think it’s really hard to do a weekly show and just pop in and out and be like ‘here’s my take.’ Cause the way the sports cycle goes, with that 24/7. You know, on Monday morning, everyone’s banging podcasts, all those FS1, ESPN shows. Everyone’s got the take on whatever and I don’t know how you just parachute in on Wednesday and have a take that’s greater than everyone’s take.

“The thing with me is I really want to do an interview show and that’s what I was passionate about. And we did some stuff on that show that I thought was really cool. I don’t know if it should have been every week but, like, we had Nas and [Kevin] Durant together for a half-hour. It was fucking awesome. I love that.

On whether or not critics are right in that his talent doesn’t translate to TV:

“They might be right, my show just got cancelled.

“I thought we did some good stuff on the NBA show, especially the first year. I think a lot of depends on what the vehicle is…I didn’t want to come back to Countdown for the second year. It was brutal to do that show. It was 55 times a year. You’re getting up at 6:30 on Sunday morning to do the 9:30. You’re on the road for five weeks. I didn’t want to do it and they all lobbied for me to do it again.

I don’t know. I love doing the podcast. I love doing the longform stuff. I think with a half-hour weekly show, especially, and I knew this going into it, you have to be a performer You just have to. Look at all the people that succeed in it. It’s all people who are like these characters. Even someone like Sam Bee, who I think that show’s great. She’s a performer. Or like [John] Oliver. Oliver can stare at the camera for 40 minutes and just do this thing.”
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

PreviousNext

Return to Even More Cowbell