Any Given Wednesday

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: Any Given Wednesday

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 18 Oct 2016, 06:18

Gregs Kite wrote:Hi guys, I found this clip interesting and hope you fellas will, too!

Please feel free to comment!

TY for posting. My comment is, I found that vapid.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby bosux » 18 Oct 2016, 08:29

it sounds like a really annoying radio commercial
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby Briandong79 » 27 Oct 2016, 16:08

PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby babylurch » 27 Oct 2016, 18:46

Briandong79 wrote:Image

ouch
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby SouthernYokel » 28 Oct 2016, 08:12

Owned the shit out of Jupiter Ascending and Dumb & Dumber To though.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Goose » 28 Oct 2016, 13:32

More hate for Any Given Wednesday.

The Big Lead comes here.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/10/28/bill-s ... y-hbo-fs1/
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 28 Oct 2016, 13:40

Goose wrote:More hate for Any Given Wednesday.

The Big Lead comes here.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/10/28/bill-s ... y-hbo-fs1/

(((Bill)))
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 28 Oct 2016, 13:42

Maybe we can hire him to do the Kudos and Fines when he gets fired.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Dthefritz » 28 Oct 2016, 14:15

Wait, did he seriously have a segment where he had a bunch of dumbfuck ideas to fix hockey that Wayne Gretzky shot down? I hope he proposed having a midget goalie holding up a board the size of the net.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Goose » 28 Oct 2016, 14:23

Dthefritz wrote:Wait, did he seriously have a segment where he had a bunch of dumbfuck ideas to fix hockey that Wayne Gretzky shot down? I hope he proposed having a midget goalie holding up a board the size of the net.

That was a great sketch.

Along with this one.

Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 30 Oct 2016, 07:03

Gregs Kite wrote:Hi guys, I found this clip interesting and hope you fellas will, too!

Please feel free to comment!

It sounds like Cousin Sal doing his Simmons impression.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Briandong79 » 31 Oct 2016, 08:59

There’s been a number of recent think pieces, (Decider.com, The Big Lead) on Any Given Wednesday, the Bill Simmons-led HBO program that has experienced subpar ratings up to this point. The invaluable website Sports TV Ratings has chronicled AGW’s ratings since its June 22 premiere and last Wednesday the show hit a season low with 82,000 viewers competing against heavy sports competition (the World Series and the second day of the NBA season). Michael Mulvihill, executive vice president of research, league operations and strategy for FOX Sports, said he believed AGW was HBO’s second least-watched original primetime program this year.

Can the viewership number be fixed? Well, you have to keep in mind what the overall viewership is as this Sports TV Ratings piece suggests. If the cross-platform numbers (e.g. DVR playback, encore telecasts, on-demand views and HBO Now streams) significantly boost the show’s first-run data, the narrative is much better. (HBO has not released the data.) But there’s no spinning the first-run data. Any significant increase in viewership will require patience—and patience is not always in short supply when it comes to television executives.

Given the viewership, I’ve seen some suggestions that HBO should get out of the Bill Simmons business. That would be foolish and likely has little basis in reality. Given his ability to draw a big audience (for instance, his podcast averages around 400,000-500,000 listens based on industry sources) and his connections in the sports documentary film world, cutting bait at this juncture would be short sighted. It would also cost HBO a lot of cash for little return.

How would I get people to re-engage with AGW? Personally, I’d start anew by creating a new format (and on a different day if possible because Wednesday is brutal for a weekly sports show) that adds a fulltime co-host because I think Simmons is much better on television playing off a co-host than going at it alone. If Simmons could find another Jalen Rose—an ex-athlete who lets the audience into his world—that would be ideal. I also thought Ty Duffy of The Big Lead hit on something important with AGW: Such a weekly show must regularly produce viral, shareable content that gets social media users excited as it did last June with Ben Affleck’s curse-filled appearance. Weekly shows don’t get the benefit of being on the next day to update an accelerated sports news cycle.

Some industry people have accused me of being in the Simmons camp (Hi, FS1 and ESPN-ers!) and I’m more than cool saying I respect how Simmons used his media fame and brand to create real and sustaining jobs for writers, editors and podcasters at The Ringer (and previously at Grantland). Some of these include former SI colleagues. That’s a far more important legacy than any book, television show, or podcast, and worthy of supporting over sports shows that revolve around bashing LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Colin Kaepernick.

If Simmons does well, many others do well, which is a good thing for the sports media. But it’s clear AGW needs a different direction heading forward if it wants to game-change the first-run viewership. I hope it succeeds.

Richard Deitsch's thoughts on the show. I think finding a co-host would be good for the quality of the show.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby SouthernYokel » 31 Oct 2016, 09:02

and patience is not always in short supply when it comes to television executives

dummy
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Nov 2016, 13:26

Cancelled after the November 9th show airs.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 04 Nov 2016, 13:27

The run of AGW can be succinctly summed up as: :mailitin:
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

PreviousNext

Return to Even More Cowbell