The Sham That Is Sports Dork

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

The Sham That Is Sports Dork

Postby sportsdorkhater » 22 Feb 2005, 20:40

Im so glad I found this place on-line. I think I found the perfect place to vent a little about the Sports Dork or SD from here on out. I think this guy is pulling one of the all-time best con jobs. He rips off other people's material and format, is unoriginal, and is basically so f-ing annoying . . . lets start with a few rip-offs . . .theres the homage to Peter King's 10 things i think . . . just because you acknoledge the rip-off, doesnt mean its still not a rip-off, and thus un-original . . .theres the rip off of the Boston Globe's Bob Ryan . . .he has a fairly regular column that he writes entitled something to the effect of, "emptying out the desk drawer" . . .which always starts with the phrase, "emptying out the desk drawer while wondering . . . . blah blah blah" . . .gee, sound familiar . . kind of like "the ramblings" . . . then SD has the nerve to bust on Jon Favreau constantly, poking fun of his weight, and his inability to let go of Swingers . . SD then turns around and rips-off Favreau's show on Sundance Channel, called Dinner for Five . . .SD had a segment on Cold Pizza, called Mel's Diner, which had SD and a few of his jack-ass friends sitting around a table in a diner talking sports . . or basically Dinner for Five . . .original concept, huh . . . I just think that SD does not have any talent and that the stuff he comes up with is lame and not believable . . .I almost died laughing at the article about the Super Bowl Quiz . . you know, the one where you try to name all the Super bowls, in order, with scores and MVP's . . .SD came so close on most of them . . are you kidding me? honestly sit down and try to name the bowls . . .there is no way in hell, and i would bet $$$ that SD couldnt name the bowls in order, let alone MVP's and scores . . .you know he was just sitting there with the sports section of USA Today folded to the scoreboard section, looking at the Scores of past Super Bowls and making up crap to say about it . . .again, so lame and unoriginal, but you guys just eat it up . . .and then there was that wonderful piece of journalism when SD got to hang out with Charles Barkley for a night . . .SD makes it sound as if chuck is tough to break down, but by the end of the night, he and SD were cool . . .what a joke . . .lets examine SD for a moment . . .rich , semi-doughy, white-boy from privelaged background(daddy pays for Holy Cross education, season tickets, ESPN connections, etc) doesnt exactly sound like sir charles' kind of guy now does it . . .but thats the beauty of SD . .he some how, some way, just manages to be(or at least come across in the column as) the coolest guy in the room . . .EVERY TIME . . . which is so hard to believe, especially when considering the annoying factor . . .from the nasal voice to the fat-chandler-from-friends meets horshack-at-celebrity-boxing face(seriously, morph those and you have SD) . . .who is this guy kidding . . .bitching about having to get up early during super bowl week in the name of good coffee----and good coffee alone----because Peter King was going to take him to Starbucks . . Im sure he had no problem getting up early and was wide-eyed for his coffee date with King . . .and who could blame him, i mean, its Peter KIng . . . but for him to play it off like its just so matter-of-fact . .gimme a break . . .I guess the easy response to me would be to tell me to stop reading his stuff if i am so opposed . .but i feel like i need to read it because i am amazed that he is getting away with it . . .and that all of you people just gobble it up . . those hideous running diary columns . . are you kidding me? . . .so made up . . .and its real easy to write a column when you fill it up with stupid dialogue . . .that way you dont have to actually write something original . . . ESPN should call the cops on this guy because he has been stealing a pay-check . . . .Im sure SD would respond with the proverbial "terd in punch bowl" comment that he uses anytime someone tries to bust him . . .but thats ok . . .bottoms up SD!!!!!!!!!!!! . . . PS . . .i think this is the watershed moment of my anti-sports dork emailing/posting . . . and this is the pantheon of SD websites . . . you like those words dont ya SD? . . .im glad that you stopped using watershed so much after that email you received busting you on your abuse of the word . . .now its time to let go of pantheon . . . youre killing the word, my man . . .use it wisely
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Feb 2005, 20:48

I'm not quite sure what made you think you'd find any sympathetic ears here. I've always wondered about people who think it's worth their time to bust on the fan sites of others.

You think SG's ramblings is a rip-off of Bob Ryan? I'll grant you the whole stream-of-consciousness thing has been done before, but it most certainly was not invented by Bob Ryan. The innovation isn't in the random thoughts, but rather the content of those thoughts.

I'll let others have fun with the rest of your post.

(Moving the thread to "Even More Cowbell".)
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

I Agree Franchise

Postby sportsdorkhater » 22 Feb 2005, 20:53

Frank i wasnt saying that Ryan invented that kind of writing, I just was saying that the intro to his column and SD's are basically the same . . and the fact thet SD grew up reading the Boston Globe and is from here is more than just a coincidence . . . as far as busting on him at a "fan site" . . . whatever dude, where else am i going to do it? . . .besides the "fans" are the ones i dont understand . . . youre the sheep . . .i just want to know why . . .maybe in between insults and name-calling ill get some insight into what the big deal is . . .until then though, my vote is that hes a sham . . .
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby mandingo » 22 Feb 2005, 21:11

Peter King's 10 things and Bob Ryan's cleaning out the desk are very common formats for sports writers (and non-sports colummnists). TONS of writers use that format so don't get too upset about BS doing it. As for "watershed" and "pantheon", yeah I'll agree he does overuse those words. And if you read enough of anyones writing you pick up on their tendencies, habits etc. You could just as easily deconstruct any other sports writer and the devices they use.
and just out of curiousity who are your favorite sports writers? Are any of them a "sham"?
[Fri 15:59] Rickey Sez: call me "sex bomb", please.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Gammons and Will Mcdonough (RIP)

Postby sportsdorkhater » 22 Feb 2005, 21:22

mandingo: . . .i dont know of anyone else in the country that uses "10 things i think" . .maybe im wrong but i havent seen it . . and that wasnt really the point . . .and individually, these "offeneses" arent a big deal . . .but colectively, it just adds up to a guy that doesnt really put a whole lot of thought into this stuff, but people think hes so innovative . . .writing a column that consists of just firing off thoughts(ala ramblings) isnt the problem . . its the fact that he introduces the column in the same exact way as Ryan's column . . . as for my favorites, peter gammons still ranks high as does the late will mcdonough . . .i dont think they are shams . . . ken powers .. .now thats a sham
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby bringbackthewhalers » 22 Feb 2005, 21:25

dude....i...dont....mind...you...expressing....your....opinion...but...this....format....is...killing....
me...try....periods....and....commas....im....begging....you...
Fidem Servavi.
bringbackthewhalers
Hope College Alum

Postby Zack Morris » 22 Feb 2005, 21:26

Don't you dare talk negatively about THE SPORTS GUY. You step to TSG, you step to Death Row, Ho. I too think the Sports Guy is a rip-off artist: The whole stream of consciousness thing--nothing James Joyce didn't do about a hundred years ago. Look, the Sports Guy has his faults like any writer, especially any sportswriter. But at the end of the day, he's pound for pound the most entertaining sports/pop-culture columnist with a deserved national audience. And I don't know what you are talking about with his dad buying him entrance to ESPN. He paid his dues big time. He edited the Holy Cross sports section, broadcasted their basketball games, has an M.A. in print journailism from Boston University, did crap jobs at a Boston paper, and then, when they wouldn't give him a spot for his original voice, he did his own thing on the web before most people even had an email account. The following he built with that site led to the ESPN job once Page 2 started up and hired numerous columnists. By his own admission, he didn't make more than 30 grand before he turned 30. And I don't doubt for a second the Superbowl column--he lives and breathes sports. He is a professional sportswriter, trust me, the good ones know their shit and know the history of the games they love in fine detail. So go back to playing your violin, bitter man.
Zack Morris
Chuggo

Postby nerf66 » 22 Feb 2005, 21:27

Actually, we didn't eat up the "Guess the Superbowl scores/mvps" and SG got a ton of shit for it here. Weak. On top of that, many people here constantly write that his articles have gone down hill......I'm willing to bet that you weren't reading bill 2 years ago.

I have a hard time with the "sports dork" title you have given bill. First, he just played horse with Shaq...probably not a dork considering that there are plenty of people who would pay thousands for the chance to do something like that.....he gets it for free...not really something a dork gets to do. Second, if he's so terrible, he's pulling one of the greatest scams of all time....and dorks can't pull something like that off.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Have you tried the SB quiz?

Postby sportsdorkhater » 22 Feb 2005, 21:32

you try the SB quiz and see how hard it is . . .if i was proven wrong i would admit it, but unless this mo-fo is rainman, he aint gettin the scores even in the ball park . . come on, the recent bowls maybe, but the leather helmet ones? no way . . . .as for the ESPN comment . . it wasnt about his dad paying his way into ESPN, . . . it came out wrong . . but that he had connections . . and so what if he didnt make that much money . . he had the benefit of trying this stuff without financial worry . . .if he was living in boston while making 30 g's , im sure he would have been living in a card board box . . . i think some how his financial situation was never a worry . . .
Last edited by sportsdorkhater on 06 Mar 2005, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby bringbackthewhalers » 22 Feb 2005, 21:34

bro....seriously....periods....and....commas....that's...all....i...ask...youre....giving....me....a....headache...
Fidem Servavi.
bringbackthewhalers
Hope College Alum

Youre right nerf, youre the dork

Postby sportsdorkhater » 22 Feb 2005, 21:35

i dont know anyone that would pay thousands to play shaq in horse or pig or whatever. and i dont deny hes got a great thing going . .but hes still a dork
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby bringbackthewhalers » 22 Feb 2005, 21:38

Thanks, beautiful.
Fidem Servavi.
bringbackthewhalers
Hope College Alum

Postby mandingo » 22 Feb 2005, 21:38

If you're a Gammons fan then what do you think about his news and notes pieces? He must be a hack! Or Jayson Stark's Useless Info columns? They should all apparently be paying Peter King royalties. As far as being innovative, the key to BS's success is that he relates to common fans. By this I mean his columns about Fantasy Leagues, gambling strategies etc. I could sit around reading Rick Reilly and Mike Lupica all day and listen to how ashamed everyone should be about everything in sports. I prefer to read people like Simmons who entertain and Gammons who inform.
[Fri 15:59] Rickey Sez: call me "sex bomb", please.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

nerf you underestimate dorks

Postby sportsdorkhater » 22 Feb 2005, 21:38

Nerf just a quick follow up. I refer you to Revenge of the Nerds volumes 1-4 as proof that dorks can pull off great things. case closed
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby jack_daniels » 22 Feb 2005, 21:40

Buddy you're the dork for coming on a fansite where people enjoy disucussions and tidbits, anecdotes, etc. Frank you're a computer guy what do they call those guys who go on chat rooms and start talking shit for no apparent reason than to attract attention. Flamer or something. Youse a flamer boi. This guy's just another LoZer. Or whatever that other idiot's name was.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell