Whatifsports Matchups

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Whatifsports Matchups

Postby Beer Goggles » 16 Feb 2005, 12:15

Alright guys, I've been wondering about this one for a long time and need your help.

What if we split the NBA into four different teams.

International Euro Players (i.e. Nowitzki, Peja)
White Americans (i.e. Brad Miller, Brent Barry)
Black Americans (i.e. Shaq, Amare Stoudemire)
International Non-Euros(i.e. Yao Ming, Ginobli)

1. Who would win this tournament?
...I'd say Black Americans by a landslide

2. Is there enough White Americans to make a team?
...not sure, need your help here

3. Is there enough International Non-Euro Internationals to make a team?
...again, not sure and need your help

4. What if we had the games go by international rules?
...maybe the Olympics gave us a glimpse of what would happen here.

5. What if we had them play each other in Slam Ball?
..Can you imagine Ben Wallace and Shaq decapitating Yao Ming as he tries to finger roll one in? Can you imagine Kobe/Vince on a trampeline? MY GOD!

I NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS!

...Once we come up with the teams, we can plug them into a whatifsports.com sim matchup.

(By the way, I didn't get paid by whatifsports.com to post this discussion)

Last edited by Beer Goggles on 16 Feb 2005, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Beer Goggles
Rocky Balboa

Postby Adam Carolla » 16 Feb 2005, 14:07

I've been finished with whatifsports.com ever since simulating Bulls/Knicks from that season when half the Knicks were thrown out of the Heat series and subsequently lost. Knicks had the best record that year, and the Bulls were very vulnerable. Of course the Bulls won the simulation. I'm tired of that thing telling me stuff I desperately don't want to know.

Instead of whatifsports, try firing up your "X-Station" and seeing what EA has to say. You can actually watch those games.
Adam Carolla
Another dude worth meeting

Location: Bringing this ice cream maker all the way from Bespin to pegs near you in 2009.

Postby TheWolf » 16 Feb 2005, 14:48

1.) I definitely think black Americans would run away with this, but that's why we need to set it up to find out.

2.) Obviously there are at least a dozen white Americans in the NBA (I think), but I can't see this being a competitive team. Who would be their "star?" Brad Miller? Troy Murphy? This team would be terrible.

3.) I think the non-Euro international squad could be decent actually. Yao and Nash (unless we're counting Canada as part of America) would be the backbone of the team, with help from Nene, Ginobli, and any other South American guys I can't think of. And there must be at least one or two other decent Canadian players out there.

4.) International rules would have to favor the international teams, as evidenced by the Olympics. But I also think there are plenty of Americans who chose not to play on the Olympic team and could have done incredibly well in that format (they basically just needed more shooters and a point guard who wanted to help his teammates out).

5.) Slam Ball would be really fun to watch with NBA players. But I don't think it relates to this discussion unfortunately.

A couple questions of my own:

1.) Do we need a full 12-man roster for each team if we actually try to do this, or just starters?

2.) Are Jason Kidd and Mike Bibby black or white?

3.) Does Larry Bird automatically make the white American team? I'd say, even given his age and health, he'd still probably be the best player on that team.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Tecmo Bo » 16 Feb 2005, 14:51

Kidd is black. He could go either way, but the deciding point for me is his wife.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 16 Feb 2005, 15:02

I'm definitely leaning towards black for both Kidd and Bibby, but I was just curious what other people had to say. I'm just trying to help out the white American team, because they need all the help they can get. I don't know if they both come from inter-racial parents, which would make them eligible for both teams. Just something that I was curious about.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Beer Goggles » 16 Feb 2005, 15:50

TheWolf wrote:2.) Are Jason Kidd and Mike Bibby black or white?

LOL! This has to be about an 89 on the UCR. I would say they are Black.

If there is any controversy, we should limit their playing time to half the game if they make the "White American" team. [This is a joke, by the way]

Beer Goggles
Rocky Balboa

Postby Snake » 16 Feb 2005, 15:57

I know Bibby is interracial, I thought Kidd was entirely white (and I'm putting him on the white team for that reason) but I could be wrong. Just because I'm bored and a loser here are some sample starting lineups:

The Black Guys:
Shaq
KG
LeBron
Michael Redd (gotta have a shooter, I'm not making the Team USA mistake)
Dwayne Wade (who really needs a nickname)

The White Guys:
Brad Miller
Troy Murphy
Brent Barry
Jon Barry
J-Kidd

The Euros:
Pau Gasol
Dirk Nowitzki
Peja Stojakovich
Mickael Pietrus (Warriors fan homer pick)
Tony Parker

The other foreigneners
Yao
Nene
Um (who fits in this slot?)
Manu
Carlos Arroyo

It would be a hell of a tournament but the Black Guys will have the depth to win.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby TheWolf » 16 Feb 2005, 16:41

Beer Goggles wrote:
TheWolf wrote:2.) Are Jason Kidd and Mike Bibby black or white?

LOL! This has to be about an 89 on the UCR. I would say they are Black.

If there is any controversy, we should limit their playing time to half the game if they make the "White American" team. [This is a joke, by the way]

To be honest, I was at least half-trying to be funny, so it doesn't really qualify for the UCR. But I'm glad you liked it.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby TheWolf » 16 Feb 2005, 16:44

I'd start Ray Allen over Michael Redd for the black team. I really can't think of a good 3 for the other foreigners either, but Nash definitely starts over Arroyo.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mister bacon » 16 Feb 2005, 16:46

Dude, you gotta throw Marco Jaric from the Clips on the south American team!! Hes pretty good.

Canada doesnt count as the US. No way.

Richard Jefferson is also Bi-racial.

I think all three Bi-racial guys get put on the black team. Not to be politcal, but when police show up.. how do you think they will get treated? This should be the default in this case.

Do the white guys get to bring Chris Mullin out of retirement?
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Beer Goggles » 16 Feb 2005, 17:07

Snake wrote:I know Bibby is interracial, I thought Kidd was entirely white (and I'm putting him on the white team for that reason) but I could be wrong. Just because I'm bored and a loser here are some sample starting lineups:

The Black Guys:
Shaq
KG
LeBron
Michael Redd (gotta have a shooter, I'm not making the Team USA mistake)
Dwayne Wade (who really needs a nickname)

The White Guys:
Brad Miller
Troy Murphy
Brent Barry
Jon Barry
J-Kidd

The Euros:
Pau Gasol
Dirk Nowitzki
Peja Stojakovich
Mickael Pietrus (Warriors fan homer pick)
Tony Parker

The other foreigneners
Yao
Nene
Um (who fits in this slot?)
Manu
Carlos Arroyo

It would be a hell of a tournament but the Black Guys will have the depth to win.

Some quick Hitters:

1. Nominations for the White Americans: Luke Walton, Mark Madsen, Chris Kaman (Clippers) I thinks he's American? (I'm not saying these guys are starters but let's not forget about them)

2. Nomination for the Euro team: Turkoglu

3. Nominations for the Non-Euro Internationals: Nash (Canadians cannot be on the "White American" team)

4. Kidd and Bibby are not White--they go on the Black team. And on that note...

5. Maybe we should have a Biracial American team too?...On second thought, let's not even go there.

Beer Goggles
Rocky Balboa

Postby Beer Goggles » 16 Feb 2005, 17:14

Another quick hitter:

I think we all agree who would win the tournament (with NBA rules) but who would place 2nd through 4th? This is a tough call. I'll make my predictiions when we round out all of the teams.

Beer Goggles
Rocky Balboa

Postby mister bacon » 16 Feb 2005, 17:20

Better question.. who coaches these teams??

Thoughts Goggles?
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JohnnyDamon » 16 Feb 2005, 17:23

White American-Rick Carlisle

Black Americans-Phil Jackson

Europeans-Don Nelson

Non-European Foreigners-Detlef Schrempf
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Beer Goggles » 16 Feb 2005, 17:48

mister bacon wrote:Better question.. who coaches these teams??

Thoughts Goggles?

I'd say that the coaches have to fit the description of the teams. Thus, Black Americans would have to be coached by Black Americans, etc. etc.

My takes:

Black Americans: What are our choices here? John Lucas, Maurice Cheeks, (gasp) Magic Johnson? I know I'm forgetting some. I still think Jon Thompson (Sr.) could be a great NBA coach.

White Americans: Phil Jackson (hands down)

Euros: The current coach of the Suns.

International Non-Euros: I have NO idea. Wampa, you gotta help us out here...Any good coaches in Brazil?

...Although this if fun as hell thinking about, none of this would matter in a simulated matchup .

By the way, Bacon, thanks for the jointzmag reference.

Beer Goggles
Rocky Balboa

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell