XM/Sirius etc.

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Postby Adam Carolla » 07 Feb 2005, 11:13

In only 10 months my 8 year Sternless drought will finally be over. I couldn't be any happier about this Sirius deal.
Adam Carolla
Another dude worth meeting

Location: Bringing this ice cream maker all the way from Bespin to pegs near you in 2009.

Postby Dunking Donut » 07 Feb 2005, 13:02

Adam Carolla wrote:In only 10 months my 8 year Sternless drought will finally be over. I couldn't be any happier about this Sirius deal.

Just DL the shows off the Internet. Get the O&A show from XM, though -- much, much funnier without the restrictions from the FCC on public radio.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby bringbackthewhalers » 07 Feb 2005, 13:12

He's keepin it real with all that *bling* though...time to go ice up another finger.
Fidem Servavi.
bringbackthewhalers
Hope College Alum

Postby Snake » 07 Feb 2005, 15:14

Dunking Donut wrote:
Adam Carolla wrote:In only 10 months my 8 year Sternless drought will finally be over. I couldn't be any happier about this Sirius deal.

Just DL the shows off the Internet. Get the O&A show from XM, though -- much, much funnier without the restrictions from the FCC on public radio.

Stern has always been funnier than O&A, I'm looking forward to him on satellite, even if its costing me money. In fact, I think Stern should have a class action suit against the FCC for forcing him to satellite and making us pay to listen.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Dunking Donut » 07 Feb 2005, 17:50

Snake wrote:Stern has always been funnier than O&A, I'm looking forward to him on satellite, even if its costing me money. In fact, I think Stern should have a class action suit against the FCC for forcing him to satellite and making us pay to listen.

He's not funnier than O&A!!! Heresy!

Satellite is a whole new ball game when it comes to radio, though. Definitely in my plans to get XM soon -- O&A and MLB.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 Feb 2005, 09:06

Remember that O&A is a premium channel on XM, so you'll need to shell out extra. Sirius is planning on offering Stern for free, but they've got a slightly more expensive base price. I guess it's a wash in the end.

Sirius has the NFL and Stern, XM has MLB and O&A, but if you're buying it just for the music, news, etc. there really isn't an appreciable difference IMHO.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mister bacon » 08 Feb 2005, 12:00

Frank the Tank wrote:Remember that O&A is a premium channel on XM, so you'll need to shell out extra. Sirius is planning on offering Stern for free, but they've got a slightly more expensive base price. I guess it's a wash in the end.

Sirius has the NFL and Stern, XM has MLB and O&A, but if you're buying it just for the music, news, etc. there really isn't an appreciable difference IMHO.

Baseball is to radio as NFL is to telvision.

Both are good to own, Ive tried out both... but there are so many baseball games every year as opposed to one day a week football games. I'd rather have XM for the baseball alone.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Tecmo Bo » 08 Feb 2005, 12:05

Baseball also translates better to radio than football does. Football on the radio is great if you watch the game and trun the volume off, but if it's just radio, give me baseball any time.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 Feb 2005, 13:06

I absolutely agree with you, but generally I listen to the Red Sox games on a local station, and I don't think I'll be listening to Devil Rays-Royals that often, so the added value of the MLB coverage will come from when I'm traveling. It's not a huge extra benefit.

I chose XM simply because it's what came preinstalled when I bought my last car. I'm addicted to it now, and can't imagine taking a serious road trip without it.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Snake » 08 Feb 2005, 14:06

Actually the last two years I've wound up buying MLB.tv and been very pleased with it so baseball isn't a draw. Plus if you really think O&A are funnier than Stern... tsk tsk tsk
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 08 Feb 2005, 20:53

Frank the Tank wrote:I absolutely agree with you, but generally I listen to the Red Sox games on a local station, and I don't think I'll be listening to Devil Rays-Royals that often, so the added value of the MLB coverage will come from when I'm traveling. It's not a huge extra benefit.

I chose XM simply because it's what came preinstalled when I bought my last car. I'm addicted to it now, and can't imagine taking a serious road trip without it.

I think that on XM you will be able to hear OTHER teams games if im not mistaken. Imagine being able to turn on the occasional dodger game or whatever if the sox aren't playing.. and some XM units are removable. Yours obviously isnt if it came with the car.

I'm rambling.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Scoring Machine » 09 Feb 2005, 00:04

Thing thing about baseball vs. football on the radio is that there are like a million baseball games each year, when i'm traveling, i really don't miss listening to my boys THAT much. But football, each game is important enough that if I'm out of town I REALLY want to hear that game.
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mister bacon » 09 Feb 2005, 04:07

Scoring Machine wrote:Thing thing about baseball vs. football on the radio is that there are like a million baseball games each year, when i'm traveling, i really don't miss listening to my boys THAT much. But football, each game is important enough that if I'm out of town I REALLY want to hear that game.

This is true, but thats a TON of content for XM to buy. They made a good deal... it adds more channels and even more reasons to buy the service... football is limited in its scope in this respect. They don't care how many people are listening in satellite radio.. they need people to subscribe.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Frank the Tank » 09 Feb 2005, 08:24

mister bacon wrote:I think that on XM you will be able to hear OTHER teams games if im not mistaken. Imagine being able to turn on the occasional dodger game or whatever if the sox aren't playing.. and some XM units are removable. Yours obviously isnt if it came with the car.

True, I just don't spend that much time listening to other games unless there's some alternate compelling storyline. During baseball season I'll spend twenty minutes in the morning poring through the linescores of the previous night's games so I can keep up with other clubs, but generally when the Sox have the night off I take advantage of the free time in my schedule to go do something else. Don't get me wrong, I'm certain at some point I'll be grateful that every single game is on XM since I want to listen to a non-ESPN game for some reason, I just don't expect it to be very often.

I do wish I had a removable unit. I'd love to put one in my home, but even with the XM family plan that reduces the subscription price on the second unit to $6.95 per month it seems pretty pricey to pay for two.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby TheWolf » 09 Feb 2005, 11:18

Baseball on the radio (Sox excluded) doesn't interest me. I can sit and watch every second of any game, regardless of who's playing, and maintain a fairly high level of interest. But with very, very few exceptions, I've never listened to any games on the radio except the Sox and Yankees. I have Sirius, and any time I happen to be in the car on Sunday during football season, I'll tune into whichever game seems the most interesting, whether I care about the teams or not. I can't see myself doing that with two baseball teams I don't care about.

And the removeable units are definitely a great idea. Unfortunately, I can't get an antenna signal anywhere in my apartment, even right in the window. So I mounted an antenna on the balcony, only to have the cable break in 3 different places when the weather got cold. Now I'm stuck with just having it in the car.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell