Grantland.com

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: Grantland.com

Postby the cheese » 23 Nov 2015, 11:06

Briandong79 wrote:Interesting that only Barnwell, Lowe, and McIndoe (DownGoesBrown) made the jump to the mothership.


I'm surprised Mays and Kheri didn't get called up.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17371
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Grantland.com

Postby Briandong79 » 23 Nov 2015, 11:08

the cheese wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:Interesting that only Barnwell, Lowe, and McIndoe (DownGoesBrown) made the jump to the mothership.


I'm surprised Mays and Kheri didn't get called up.


Mays just announced today he's joining MMQB.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 29964
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Grantland.com

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 23 Nov 2015, 11:11

Briandong79 wrote:
the cheese wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:Interesting that only Barnwell, Lowe, and McIndoe (DownGoesBrown) made the jump to the mothership.


I'm surprised Mays and Kheri didn't get called up.


Mays just announced today he's joining MMQB.


Nice.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep
 
Posts: 29736
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: Grantland.com

Postby TVF wannabe » 23 Nov 2015, 11:12

Briandong79 wrote:
the cheese wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:Interesting that only Barnwell, Lowe, and McIndoe (DownGoesBrown) made the jump to the mothership.


I'm surprised Mays and Kheri didn't get called up.


Mays just announced today he's joining MMQB.

PK said in the MMQB that he'll be joining from now through the draft.
User avatar
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5417
Joined: 07 Jun 2006, 14:16

Re: Grantland.com

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 23 Nov 2015, 16:45

Briandong79 wrote:So many tears that I can't go to this, of course.
http://www.gelfmagazine.com/archives/a_ ... iation.php


I wonder why Hyden didn't get an invite?
#2C4S

Image
User avatar
Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies
 
Posts: 6018
Joined: 21 Oct 2011, 11:04

Re: Grantland.com

Postby mj3528 » 23 Nov 2015, 16:53

Mario Speedwagon wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:So many tears that I can't go to this, of course.
http://www.gelfmagazine.com/archives/a_ ... iation.php


I wonder why Hyden didn't get an invite?



The ESPN higher-ups said they were out of the pop culture business.

Either that or he creeped out many of the female staffers.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
mj3528
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 8541
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: Grantland.com

Postby the cheese » 23 Nov 2015, 16:57

mj3528 wrote:
Mario Speedwagon wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:So many tears that I can't go to this, of course.
http://www.gelfmagazine.com/archives/a_ ... iation.php


I wonder why Hyden didn't get an invite?



The ESPN higher-ups said they were out of the pop culture business.

Either that or he creeped out many of the female staffers.


Pretty sure he had equity in Pitchfork Media and doesn't need to work since the sale.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17371
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Grantland.com

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 24 Nov 2015, 06:31

I'd be more interested if that link was from GILF Magazine.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 17701
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: Grantland.com

Postby Colonel Angus » 09 Feb 2016, 12:58

ESPN public editor on the decision to shut down the 'Land

Not sure what a public editor is or does. Based on the link URL, I guess it's their new name for ombudsman.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: Grantland.com

Postby Rodney Farva » 09 Feb 2016, 13:13

it is. same thing at the ny times.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 24344
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: Grantland.com

Postby Colonel Angus » 10 Feb 2016, 19:58

Rodney Farva wrote:it is. same thing at the ny times.


Sounds like it's slightly different at the Times:

Richard Deitsch
Imagine @Sulliview would concur: ESPN's execs not talking to its Public Editor for Grantland piece derails the whole idea of having a PE.
5:00pm - 10 Feb 16


Margaret Sullivan @Sulliview
@richarddeitsch I've never had the experience of an NYT editor saying 'I'm not going to talk to you.' That's been very important.
5:24pm - 10 Feb 16
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: Grantland.com

Postby Gregs Kite » 11 Feb 2016, 08:05

Thank you for pointing that out, Colonel. You were right, per usual.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

BostonSucksMyBalls - Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm: greg your being a lil bitch in the hall of sand

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
User avatar
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 21450
Joined: 20 Jan 2007, 15:59
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Grantland.com

Postby NotAndyGreenwald » 11 Feb 2016, 08:52

I found it funny that ESPN is so sandy that they post something like this a few months after the fact, but holy shit what a dumb career move by Fennessey! People in their 30s (I guess he is) should be wise enough to value Benjamins over loyalty, even if the Sporps Guy posts three lengthy columns where he alleges this was a worse stab in the back than Germany's Chancellor signing the armistice in that train on 11/9 and the Decision together.
mj3528 » 03 Dec 2015, 22:34 something rarely said, but NAG was right.

Gregs Kite - Yesterday, 20:56: Is NAG _ v2.0?
User avatar
NotAndyGreenwald
Rocky Balboa
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: 07 Apr 2015, 11:08
Location: drunk

Re: Grantland.com

Postby Briandong79 » 11 Feb 2016, 09:45

NotAndyGreenwald wrote:I found it funny that ESPN is so sandy that they post something like this a few months after the fact, but holy shit what a dumb career move by Fennessey! People in their 30s (I guess he is) should be wise enough to value Benjamins over loyalty, even if the Sporps Guy posts three lengthy columns where he alleges this was a worse stab in the back than Germany's Chancellor signing the armistice in that train on 11/9 and the Decision together.


I'm not sure jumping on a sinking ship is a good career move for someone in their 30s.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 29964
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Grantland.com

Postby NotAndyGreenwald » 11 Feb 2016, 10:58

Briandong79 wrote:
NotAndyGreenwald wrote:I found it funny that ESPN is so sandy that they post something like this a few months after the fact, but holy shit what a dumb career move by Fennessey! People in their 30s (I guess he is) should be wise enough to value Benjamins over loyalty, even if the Sporps Guy posts three lengthy columns where he alleges this was a worse stab in the back than Germany's Chancellor signing the armistice in that train on 11/9 and the Decision together.


I'm not sure jumping on a sinking ship is a good career move for someone in their 30s.


If there's any truth to the statement that they wouldn't have axed the damn thing (and maybe even out of spite, like a "see, this works just as well without you" type of deal), the earnings in, say, 18 months he could have had that gig and gained valuable leadership experience far outstrip what he can gain as BS's lackey at HBO, I think. Grantland was, after all, the "one true gig" for every asshole sportswriter ever.
mj3528 » 03 Dec 2015, 22:34 something rarely said, but NAG was right.

Gregs Kite - Yesterday, 20:56: Is NAG _ v2.0?
User avatar
NotAndyGreenwald
Rocky Balboa
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: 07 Apr 2015, 11:08
Location: drunk

PreviousNext

Return to Even More Cowbell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest