Grantland.com

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Grantland.com

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Feb 2011, 10:21

Bill's going to have his own site through ESPN, though it won't carry the ESPN brand:
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... mmons.aspx

Good for him.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 30150
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby IhateTomBrady » 18 Feb 2011, 10:30

Seems like a good idea, esp when he got someone like Kloserman on board.
_ to Dick Hertz: You wrote your own death when you signed the cheque off on that McMansion that is most definitely underwater at this point but too proud to tell anyone here... You don't know jack shit about the blue collar life you yuppie faggot.
User avatar
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3982
Joined: 20 Feb 2006, 16:05
Location: ready to be the 1%

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Feb 2011, 15:31

A little bit more info:
http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/bill-si ... site-espn/

Thought this part was interesting:
Bill sees the site functioning with limited fan interaction, including a selection of about 300 fans with exclusive access to comment on the site and interact with contributors.


So basically he gets to cherry pick his own followers.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 30150
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby nova » 18 Feb 2011, 15:38

If I'm understanding correctly, he's trying to put together Deadspin on steroids?
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25372
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby mj3528 » 18 Feb 2011, 15:41

Briandean79 wrote:A little bit more info:
http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/bill-si ... site-espn/

Thought this part was interesting:
Bill sees the site functioning with limited fan interaction, including a selection of about 300 fans with exclusive access to comment on the site and interact with contributors.


So basically he gets to cherry pick his own followers.


I doubt ebenezzerspooge8 and iron mark sharpe will make the cut. That is unfortunate.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
mj3528
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 8637
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby 700 Level » 18 Feb 2011, 15:45

nasty nova wrote:If I'm understanding correctly, he's trying to put together Deadspin on estrogen?


Fixed. He likes sports, but not as much as he likes making snarky comments about Grammy attendees' wardrobes, or better yet, comparing journeyman NBA forwards to said wardrobes. Like the Perez Hilton of sports websites.
"It's insane, this guy's taint!"
User avatar
700 Level
Another dude worth meeting
 
Posts: 623
Joined: 09 Aug 2005, 12:19
Location: Scramblin'

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Feb 2011, 15:49

700 Level wrote:
nasty nova wrote:If I'm understanding correctly, he's trying to put together Deadspin on estrogen?


Fixed. He likes sports, but not as much as he likes making snarky comments about Grammy attendees' wardrobes, or better yet, comparing journeyman NBA forwards to said wardrobes. Like the Perez Hilton of sports websites.


As Simmons is the only really known quantity as a sportswriter at this point, the site's sport slant would still be up in the air. So far the only announced people have been a girl from Deadspin and pop culture folks. There are a lot of good sportswriters out there, and it'll be interesting if he takes both from ESPN and other places.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 30150
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby Private Zod » 18 Feb 2011, 17:08

I wonder what type of freedom he will be given editorially and content wise. Will he be allowed to make fun of ESPN personalities or will that be off limits again? Will there be restrictions on language like ESPN?

The restricted fan access is such a pussy move if I am reading this correctly. This guy criticizes everyone yet cannot deal with it when turned on him so he has to hand select every fan who can comment on hsi site??? Weak.
User avatar
Private Zod
Pink Helmet
 
Posts: 466
Joined: 09 Jul 2007, 20:29
Location: Philly by way of Brooklyn

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby Bricks » 18 Feb 2011, 17:34

Briandean79 wrote:A little bit more info:
http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/bill-si ... site-espn/

Thought this part was interesting:
Bill sees the site functioning with limited fan interaction, including a selection of about 300 fans with exclusive access to comment on the site and interact with contributors.


So basically he gets to cherry pick his own followers.


Now, I can see not wanting it to devolve into Deadspin with its legion of jackass commenters who are either looking for ego strokes or to pimp their own sites, but it still warrants mentioning...

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
The man is porcelain.

nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
User avatar
Bricks
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 22:53
Location: #TeamSheikie

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby SDGuy » 18 Feb 2011, 17:41

He claimed via twitter that it was false reporting:

Wow some erroneous info out there on the new site already. Specifically: we're not having "exclusive" member message boards, that is wrong.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
User avatar
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4197
Joined: 03 Jan 2007, 22:48
Location: Not the 'SB'

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby Bricks » 18 Feb 2011, 17:49

If that's the case it's apparently ESPN that got it wrong. This article http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2011021 ... googlenews has the press release.
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
User avatar
Bricks
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 22:53
Location: #TeamSheikie

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby PornoGil » 11 Mar 2011, 15:30

Phil chats with USA Today about the new site

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... new-site/1
User avatar
PornoGil
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4582
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 13:00

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby SDGuy » 11 Mar 2011, 15:39

Good shit. I'm actually decently flyered up for this whole thing. Deadspin just doesn't do it for me anymore.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
User avatar
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4197
Joined: 03 Jan 2007, 22:48
Location: Not the 'SB'

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby the cheese » 11 Mar 2011, 15:44

PornoGil wrote:Phil chats with USA Today about the new site

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... new-site/1


Not going to lie, that sounds like it's going to be awesome.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17527
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: The B-I-L-L S-I-M-M-O-N-S Project

Postby nova » 11 Mar 2011, 15:45

I found this to be hysterical.

You're looking for up-and-coming talent?

When people launch sites they make the mistake of spending big dollars on people who've already kind of peaked. They don't look at the young and hungry people. Especially the people 32 and under. Those are the people that end up carrying projects like this. For me, ten years ago when ESPN.com was founded, I was a nobody. I was 30 years old. I was writing on a site with Hunter Thompson and David Halberstam and Ralph Wiley and all these great people. But I was the one who ended up writing three columns a week and carrying a lot of traffic. I just think those people are out there. If we don't find them, then we've failed.


Image
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25372
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest