Other Podcasts

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby TheWolf » 25 Jul 2017, 08:38

ctz31 wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:another theory about who killed him is Suge Knight. Supposedly, Suge's Death Row Records owed him a few million dollars. And Pac is so dumb that Death Row would just give him a brand new Bentley or something to soothe him over. He was like, cool, I'll take the car. Pay me later. Turns out that the cars were all leases, and Tupac never owned any of them. So Suge was really not giving him anything. So, between him owing Tupac millions, and the rumors that Tupac may leave DRR to start his own label, Suge offed him.

But that theory doesnt make sense logistically. Tupac was riding shotgun when the car was shot up with approx 14 bullets. The driver of the car that was shot up was Suge. Sooooo....ijs


also that was how every record label treated every rapper in the 90s


I have completed this podcast. The prevailing theory is that Puffy had put out a $1 Million bounty on Pac's life. To be cashed in whenever. This was not a specific hit that night, but it was going to be done one way or another at some point. One of the guys involved in the murk was a dirty policeman.

Also, Tu wore a bulletproof vest under his clothing much of the time, including earlier this night. He had worn it to the Tyson fight. But when he went back to his hotel to change for the evening, he took it off, telling the dunce he was with that it was too hot to wear, and he'd be fine. Well he was not fine! He ded!


Eh. What if they shot him in the face?


I shot Marvin in the face.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 18419
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby ctz31 » 25 Jul 2017, 08:44

TheWolf wrote:
ctz31 wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:another theory about who killed him is Suge Knight. Supposedly, Suge's Death Row Records owed him a few million dollars. And Pac is so dumb that Death Row would just give him a brand new Bentley or something to soothe him over. He was like, cool, I'll take the car. Pay me later. Turns out that the cars were all leases, and Tupac never owned any of them. So Suge was really not giving him anything. So, between him owing Tupac millions, and the rumors that Tupac may leave DRR to start his own label, Suge offed him.

But that theory doesnt make sense logistically. Tupac was riding shotgun when the car was shot up with approx 14 bullets. The driver of the car that was shot up was Suge. Sooooo....ijs


also that was how every record label treated every rapper in the 90s


I have completed this podcast. The prevailing theory is that Puffy had put out a $1 Million bounty on Pac's life. To be cashed in whenever. This was not a specific hit that night, but it was going to be done one way or another at some point. One of the guys involved in the murk was a dirty policeman.

Also, Tu wore a bulletproof vest under his clothing much of the time, including earlier this night. He had worn it to the Tyson fight. But when he went back to his hotel to change for the evening, he took it off, telling the dunce he was with that it was too hot to wear, and he'd be fine. Well he was not fine! He ded!


Eh. What if they shot him in the face?


I shot Marvin in the face.


Simpsons right?
User avatar
ctz31
#nnf
 
Posts: 9686
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 10:06
Location: Why did I come to Buffalo???

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby PhillyJim76 » 25 Jul 2017, 10:30

So pac's bitch was in on the setup
It feels so good to be back.
User avatar
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: 24 Aug 2005, 16:06

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby Briandong79 » 26 Jul 2017, 13:20

Ok, since it has been 24 hours, think I can step in and not interrupt the Tupac discussion.

Listened to a few of the 30 for 30 podcasts. Not bad, pretty good storytelling. The Dan & Dave one didn't break any new ground. The story of the female expedition to the North Pole was pretty decent but kind of pointless. Would give a strong recommendation to IMS and FTT especially, but I think most would enjoy the one called "A Queen of Sorts" about the scam that Phil Ivey and a Chinese lady ran on baccarat a couple years ago. Strong recommend.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31138
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby Briandong79 » 02 Aug 2017, 13:10

Dr Jeckyll wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:30 for 30: The Podcast series

Here’s the entire 30 for 30 Podcasts schedule:

Tues., June 27 – “The Trials of Dan and Dave”
Tues., July 4 – “Yankees Suck”
Tues., July 11 – “On the Ice”
Tues., July 18 – “A Queen of Sorts”
Tues., July 25 – “The Fighter Inside”


Heard an ad for "Yankees suck" this morning. What a clever slogan that was! Between that and mike and the mad dog getting the green light, have to wonder if Phil is still pulling strings there. Fun fact: There are people outside New England/tri state areas.


Bringing this over from the 30 for 30 thread, I listened to all of these except Yankees Suck (which is kind of an FU to Grantland because they had a really good article about this a few years back). I would rank them as:

A Queen of Sorts
The Fighter Inside
Dan & Dave
On the Ice

I'd put a pretty clear line in quality between the top 2 and the bottom 2, and there is a pretty big gap between Dan & Dave and the On the Ice one. All in all though, they do a good job and they focus more on the whole point of 30 for 30 in focusing on some lesser known stories.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31138
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 02 Aug 2017, 13:14

Briandong79 wrote:
Dr Jeckyll wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:30 for 30: The Podcast series

Here’s the entire 30 for 30 Podcasts schedule:

Tues., June 27 – “The Trials of Dan and Dave”
Tues., July 4 – “Yankees Suck”
Tues., July 11 – “On the Ice”
Tues., July 18 – “A Queen of Sorts”
Tues., July 25 – “The Fighter Inside”


Heard an ad for "Yankees suck" this morning. What a clever slogan that was! Between that and mike and the mad dog getting the green light, have to wonder if Phil is still pulling strings there. Fun fact: There are people outside New England/tri state areas.


Bringing this over from the 30 for 30 thread, I listened to all of these except Yankees Suck (which is kind of an FU to Grantland because they had a really good article about this a few years back). I would rank them as:

A Queen of Sorts
The Fighter Inside
Dan & Dave
On the Ice

I'd put a pretty clear line in quality between the top 2 and the bottom 2, and there is a pretty big gap between Dan & Dave and the On the Ice one. All in all though, they do a good job and they focus more on the whole point of 30 for 30 in focusing on some lesser known stories.


In my extensive 15 second google searching I found nothing about this Ivey scam you're talking about. Can you gimme a primer?
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13048
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby the cheese » 02 Aug 2017, 13:17

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dr Jeckyll wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:30 for 30: The Podcast series

Here’s the entire 30 for 30 Podcasts schedule:

Tues., June 27 – “The Trials of Dan and Dave”
Tues., July 4 – “Yankees Suck”
Tues., July 11 – “On the Ice”
Tues., July 18 – “A Queen of Sorts”
Tues., July 25 – “The Fighter Inside”


Heard an ad for "Yankees suck" this morning. What a clever slogan that was! Between that and mike and the mad dog getting the green light, have to wonder if Phil is still pulling strings there. Fun fact: There are people outside New England/tri state areas.


Bringing this over from the 30 for 30 thread, I listened to all of these except Yankees Suck (which is kind of an FU to Grantland because they had a really good article about this a few years back). I would rank them as:

A Queen of Sorts
The Fighter Inside
Dan & Dave
On the Ice

I'd put a pretty clear line in quality between the top 2 and the bottom 2, and there is a pretty big gap between Dan & Dave and the On the Ice one. All in all though, they do a good job and they focus more on the whole point of 30 for 30 in focusing on some lesser known stories.


In my extensive 15 second google searching I found nothing about this Ivey scam you're talking about. Can you gimme a primer?


Phil Ivey and an accomplice offered a casino better than normal odds at baccarat if they got to specify the deck of cards used. The cards were printed with an almost imperceptible yet blatantly obvious tell for one of the face cards (I think, it might have been all of the face cars or it might have been aces?) off the top of my head.

ETA
n April 2012, Ivey first contacted Borgata about a visit to play baccarat for high stakes. “Because of his notoriety as a high-stakes gambler, and the amount of money he intended to gamble, Ivey was able to negotiate special arrangements," the 58-page complaint said.

The casino said that Ivey requested a private pit, a dealer who spoke Mandarin Chinese, one eight-deck shoe of purple Gemaco Borgata playing cards to be used for the entirety of each session, as well as an automatic card shuffling device to be used to shuffle the cards after each shoe was dealt. According to the complaint, Ivey said it was because he’s superstitious.

“Ivey misrepresented his motive, intention and purpose and did not communicate the true reason for his requests to Borgata at any relevant time,” the casino alleged. “Ivey’s true motive, intention, and purpose in negotiating these playing arrangements was to create a situation in which he could surreptitiously manipulate what he knew to be a defect in the playing cards.”

The BorgataThe technique Ivey was accused of using to gain an advantage over Borgata, called “edge sorting,” is the same one he was accused of using against Crockfords Casino in the United Kingdom in August 2012. Crockfords decided to withhold $12.1 million of Ivey’s winnings. The poker pro eventually decided to sue Crockfords, later admitting that he did notice defects in the cards, but that it wasn’t actually cheating. That case is still pending over in London.

The technique “exploits manufacturing defects in playing cards in order to ‘mark’ cards without the player actually touching, defacing, or placing a physical mark on the cards,” the Borgata lawsuit said. “During play, Ivey and Sun used the accommodations they requested from Borgata to ‘turn’ strategically important cards so that they could be [distinguishable].”
Last edited by the cheese on 02 Aug 2017, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby Briandong79 » 02 Aug 2017, 13:18

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dr Jeckyll wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:30 for 30: The Podcast series

Here’s the entire 30 for 30 Podcasts schedule:

Tues., June 27 – “The Trials of Dan and Dave”
Tues., July 4 – “Yankees Suck”
Tues., July 11 – “On the Ice”
Tues., July 18 – “A Queen of Sorts”
Tues., July 25 – “The Fighter Inside”


Heard an ad for "Yankees suck" this morning. What a clever slogan that was! Between that and mike and the mad dog getting the green light, have to wonder if Phil is still pulling strings there. Fun fact: There are people outside New England/tri state areas.


Bringing this over from the 30 for 30 thread, I listened to all of these except Yankees Suck (which is kind of an FU to Grantland because they had a really good article about this a few years back). I would rank them as:

A Queen of Sorts
The Fighter Inside
Dan & Dave
On the Ice

I'd put a pretty clear line in quality between the top 2 and the bottom 2, and there is a pretty big gap between Dan & Dave and the On the Ice one. All in all though, they do a good job and they focus more on the whole point of 30 for 30 in focusing on some lesser known stories.


In my extensive 15 second google searching I found nothing about this Ivey scam you're talking about. Can you gimme a primer?


It's something called edge sorting. Basically b/c Ivey is a BSD, he could go into a casino and the casino would do whatever he wanted to make him happy, including using certain decks of cards that were slightly off center. His partner (who is the real focus of the ep) could see those minute details and used it to go up huge:

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2016/10/ ... -26141.htm
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31138
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby mj3528 » 02 Aug 2017, 13:20

the cheese wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dr Jeckyll wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:30 for 30: The Podcast series

Here’s the entire 30 for 30 Podcasts schedule:

Tues., June 27 – “The Trials of Dan and Dave”
Tues., July 4 – “Yankees Suck”
Tues., July 11 – “On the Ice”
Tues., July 18 – “A Queen of Sorts”
Tues., July 25 – “The Fighter Inside”


Heard an ad for "Yankees suck" this morning. What a clever slogan that was! Between that and mike and the mad dog getting the green light, have to wonder if Phil is still pulling strings there. Fun fact: There are people outside New England/tri state areas.


Bringing this over from the 30 for 30 thread, I listened to all of these except Yankees Suck (which is kind of an FU to Grantland because they had a really good article about this a few years back). I would rank them as:

A Queen of Sorts
The Fighter Inside
Dan & Dave
On the Ice

I'd put a pretty clear line in quality between the top 2 and the bottom 2, and there is a pretty big gap between Dan & Dave and the On the Ice one. All in all though, they do a good job and they focus more on the whole point of 30 for 30 in focusing on some lesser known stories.


In my extensive 15 second google searching I found nothing about this Ivey scam you're talking about. Can you gimme a primer?


Phil Ivey and an accomplice offered a casino better than normal odds at baccarat if they got to specify the deck of cards used. The cards were printed with an almost imperceptible yet blatantly obvious tell for one of the face cards (I think, it might have been all of the face cars or it might have been aces?) off the top of my head.

ETA
n April 2012, Ivey first contacted Borgata about a visit to play baccarat for high stakes. “Because of his notoriety as a high-stakes gambler, and the amount of money he intended to gamble, Ivey was able to negotiate special arrangements," the 58-page complaint said.

The casino said that Ivey requested a private pit, a dealer who spoke Mandarin Chinese, one eight-deck shoe of purple Gemaco Borgata playing cards to be used for the entirety of each session, as well as an automatic card shuffling device to be used to shuffle the cards after each shoe was dealt. According to the complaint, Ivey said it was because he’s superstitious.

“Ivey misrepresented his motive, intention and purpose and did not communicate the true reason for his requests to Borgata at any relevant time,” the casino alleged. “Ivey’s true motive, intention, and purpose in negotiating these playing arrangements was to create a situation in which he could surreptitiously manipulate what he knew to be a defect in the playing cards.”

The BorgataThe technique Ivey was accused of using to gain an advantage over Borgata, called “edge sorting,” is the same one he was accused of using against Crockfords Casino in the United Kingdom in August 2012. Crockfords decided to withhold $12.1 million of Ivey’s winnings. The poker pro eventually decided to sue Crockfords, later admitting that he did notice defects in the cards, but that it wasn’t actually cheating. That case is still pending over in London.

The technique “exploits manufacturing defects in playing cards in order to ‘mark’ cards without the player actually touching, defacing, or placing a physical mark on the cards,” the Borgata lawsuit said. “During play, Ivey and Sun used the accommodations they requested from Borgata to ‘turn’ strategically important cards so that they could be [distinguishable].”



Here is a long story on Ivey from The Ringer that discusses it: https://theringer.com/phil-ivey-world-series-of-poker-51cd56b8cccf
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
mj3528
#QM
 
Posts: 9294
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 Aug 2017, 13:38

Extremely late podcast review:

Surprisingly Awesome: man i really like this podcast. Mostly hosted by Adam McKay, the director guy. A common co-host of his is the dude who was on the Daily Show and was the PC in the Apple commercials, John Hodgeman. Basic premise is to take something that seems either mundane or straight-forward and find amusing factoids about them. They did one on frequent flier miles programs, one on the "circle of fifths" in music theory, one on saying i told you so, one on insults, etc. They're great. I will burn through everything they've got in the next few days and then i'll be sad. The last episode they did was 41 weeks ago and i don't think they're making them anymore.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29813
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 08 Aug 2017, 13:40

SouthernYokel wrote:one on the "circle of fifths" in music theory


Go on.....
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13048
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 Aug 2017, 13:44

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:one on the "circle of fifths" in music theory


Go on.....


so, let me preface this by saying i don't know anything about music, but the basic idea is every 'composer' ever has used this musical style where you take a bass note and go up 1/5 of a scale to make the chord, and then you move the bass note around by 1/5 as well and voila you have a circle of fifths and it is pleasing to the ear because of the natural hz or whatever. They took Fly Me to the Moon and put I Will Survive over the top of it after explaining how it works and it was like they were the same song. then they added a Mozart concerto over the top of both of them and it all fit together. it was crazy.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29813
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 08 Aug 2017, 13:47

SouthernYokel wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:one on the "circle of fifths" in music theory


Go on.....


so, let me preface this by saying i don't know anything about music, but the basic idea is every 'composer' ever has used this musical style where you take a bass note and go up 1/5 of a scale to make the chord, and then you move the bass note around by 1/5 as well and voila you have a circle of fifths and it is pleasing to the ear because of the natural hz or whatever. They took Fly Me to the Moon and put I Will Survive over the top of it after explaining how it works and it was like they were the same song. then they added a Mozart concerto over the top of both of them and it all fit together. it was crazy.


I'm reading about it now and, yeah, first thought was "I know fuckall about reading music."
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13048
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby BigJohnStudd » 09 Aug 2017, 13:01

SouthernYokel wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:one on the "circle of fifths" in music theory


Go on.....


so, let me preface this by saying i don't know anything about music, but the basic idea is every 'composer' ever has used this musical style where you take a bass note and go up 1/5 of a scale to make the chord, and then you move the bass note around by 1/5 as well and voila you have a circle of fifths and it is pleasing to the ear because of the natural hz or whatever. They took Fly Me to the Moon and put I Will Survive over the top of it after explaining how it works and it was like they were the same song. then they added a Mozart concerto over the top of both of them and it all fit together. it was crazy.


I did this on my college radio show one time with Tori Amos's "God" and "Baby Got Back". Coincidentally, they lined up perfectly.
User avatar
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit
 
Posts: 3767
Joined: 08 Oct 2009, 00:01

Re: Other Podcasts

Postby Theny » 09 Aug 2017, 16:16

SouthernYokel wrote:Extremely late podcast review:

Surprisingly Awesome: man i really like this podcast. Mostly hosted by Adam McKay, the director guy. A common co-host of his is the dude who was on the Daily Show and was the PC in the Apple commercials, John Hodgeman. Basic premise is to take something that seems either mundane or straight-forward and find amusing factoids about them. They did one on frequent flier miles programs, one on the "circle of fifths" in music theory, one on saying i told you so, one on insults, etc. They're great. I will burn through everything they've got in the next few days and then i'll be sad. The last episode they did was 41 weeks ago and i don't think they're making them anymore.


Sounds exactly like the Stuff You Should Know pod, pal.
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 30550
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

PreviousNext

Return to Even More Cowbell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chrisco and 2 guests