30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: 30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 08 Dec 2017, 07:12

Rodney Farva wrote:i need to peep this wrigley doc, i remember it being a hyuge fight when they started having even just a few night games. save me from looking it up, when did they put in permanent lights? do you yungins remember the era when it was day baseball there?

I was actually at the first official night game, it was August 9, 1988 against the Mets. It was supposed to be august 8 but that game got rained out. At the time it was very exciting. For a lot of years even after they got lights there were a lot of restrictions and most of the games would still be daytime. So I’m old enough to remember the era when they only played day games. Ocassionally the 3pm games would get called on account of “darkness” if they lasted too long. Those were the days! I’m not sure this is as worthy of a sports doc as someone coming up with the genius idea of creating a “Yankees suck” t-shirt, but I will check out the podcast :P
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby mj3528 » 08 Dec 2017, 08:24

Dr Jeckyll wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:i need to peep this wrigley doc, i remember it being a hyuge fight when they started having even just a few night games. save me from looking it up, when did they put in permanent lights? do you yungins remember the era when it was day baseball there?

I was actually at the first official night game, it was August 9, 1988 against the Mets. It was supposed to be august 8 but that game got rained out. At the time it was very exciting. For a lot of years even after they got lights there were a lot of restrictions and most of the games would still be daytime. So I’m old enough to remember the era when they only played day games. Ocassionally the 3pm games would get called on account of “darkness” if they lasted too long. Those were the days! I’m not sure this is as worthy of a sports doc as someone coming up with the genius idea of creating a “Yankees suck” t-shirt, but I will check out the podcast :P

Didn't they start the first night game and play a few innings. I seem to recall it being in tv and watching it. I was home from college for the summer and since it was raining in Chicago at night I was pretty sure I was going to be able to sleep in for my house painting job in Cleveland in the morning.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 08 Dec 2017, 08:25

mj3528 wrote:
Dr Jeckyll wrote:

Didn't they start the first night game and play a few innings. I seem to recall it being in tv and watching it. I was home from college for the summer and since it was raining in Chicago at night I was pretty sure I was going to be able to sleep in for my house painting job in Cleveland in the morning.

Yes
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby TheWolf » 08 Dec 2017, 08:32

mj3528 wrote:
Dr Jeckyll wrote:

I'm surprised you remember all those details. :mrgreen:
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Briandong79 » 08 Dec 2017, 09:13

TheWolf wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
Dr Jeckyll wrote:

I'm surprised you remember all those details. :mrgreen:

Yes it was a massive downpour.

They have Wayne Messmer who was the Cubs PA guy for years as the narrator of the doc, which adds to it.

Apparently initially it was restricted to like 18 night games a year. They're up to 44 or something now. :?

ETA: Fun fact: I've never seen a night game at Wrigley in person.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 08 Dec 2017, 09:14

Oh but you must! The ivy under the lights looks so cool in person.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 08 Dec 2017, 10:11

Briandong79 wrote:Loved the 30 for 30 podcast on the Wrigley lights. I really want a Wrigley No lights t-shirt now. Very high recommend.

ty dong. listened to it this morning, i don't know if the randos would enjoy it but definitely cubs fans would, or just sons who grew up in the chicago area even if they are sox fans (kasko).
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby mj3528 » 08 Dec 2017, 10:17

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Oh but you must! The ivy under the lights looks so cool in person.

I know you are joking, but when you watch a game on TV from Wrigley at night, the whole ballpark looks darker and gives it a strange, but kind of cool look.
mj3528
#QM

Postby TheWolf » 08 Dec 2017, 10:20

It looks darker at night? Bizarre.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mj3528 » 08 Dec 2017, 10:22

TheWolf wrote:It looks darker at night? Bizarre.

poor wording by me, I meant darker than televised games night games from other parks.
mj3528
#QM

Postby jman » 08 Dec 2017, 12:05

Briandong79 wrote:Apparently initially it was restricted to like 18 night games a year. They're up to 44 or something now. :?

Yeah, I'm surprised they even have that many when you still have the case of the dickhead alderman and a bunch of rich people worried about their precious little flower of a neighborhood getting defiled by too much activity. Which is ironic considering the only reason any of the nice shit in that neighborhood exists is because of Wrigley.
jman
Bruce Dickinson

Previous

Return to Even More Cowbell