30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: 30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Postby Dthefritz » 10 Nov 2017, 17:33

Gregs Kite wrote:


Isn't Flair and old, decrepit, broke mess now? How was it glorifying anything?

Well without having seen the doc or read the article, it comes down to the age old question: does Scarface glorify drug dealing in spite of Tony Montana's fate? Or are people who watch it just morons?
User avatar
Dthefritz
tl;dr
 
Posts: 7497
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:35
Location: In the green, never in between

Re: 30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 10 Nov 2017, 18:15

The doc didn't glorify his behavior at all. Heck, HHH said basically everything Flair says is a lie and he uses him as an example to the newbies as what not to do with yourself outside of the ring.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18391
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: 30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Postby mister bacon » 13 Nov 2017, 10:56

Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:


Isn't Flair and old, decrepit, broke mess now? How was it glorifying anything?

Well without having seen the doc or read the article, it comes down to the age old question: does Scarface glorify drug dealing in spite of Tony Montana's fate? Or are people who watch it just morons?


or it could be the purest distillation of the nihilism at the center of modern capitalism and American urban pop culture. maybe the question is why do so many cultural tastemakers admire and identify with a character that fully exploits capitalism while standing outside of it then dies an early death having reached the pinnacle of having it all? why do so many young kids, especially black and brown kids, expect to die an early death? is their love for the movie a reflection of their own expectation? what does that mean for their choices now? what impact could we have in these communities if we focus on a message that life is worth living. their lives have dignity?


just spitballing.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 26397
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Re: 30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Postby SouthernYokel » 13 Nov 2017, 10:59

mister bacon wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:


Isn't Flair and old, decrepit, broke mess now? How was it glorifying anything?

Well without having seen the doc or read the article, it comes down to the age old question: does Scarface glorify drug dealing in spite of Tony Montana's fate? Or are people who watch it just morons?


or it could be the purest distillation of the nihilism at the center of modern capitalism and American urban pop culture. maybe the question is why do so many cultural tastemakers admire and identify with a character that fully exploits capitalism while standing outside of it then dies an early death having reached the pinnacle of having it all? why do so many young kids, especially black and brown kids, expect to die an early death? is their love for the movie a reflection of their own expectation? what does that mean for their choices now? what impact could we have in these communities if we focus on a message that life is worth living. their lives have dignity?


just spitballing.


Moonlight won an Oscar but that movie was boring as shit and i'd rather watch Belly. just spitballing
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29839
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: 30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Postby mister bacon » 13 Nov 2017, 11:04

SouthernYokel wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:


Isn't Flair and old, decrepit, broke mess now? How was it glorifying anything?

Well without having seen the doc or read the article, it comes down to the age old question: does Scarface glorify drug dealing in spite of Tony Montana's fate? Or are people who watch it just morons?


or it could be the purest distillation of the nihilism at the center of modern capitalism and American urban pop culture. maybe the question is why do so many cultural tastemakers admire and identify with a character that fully exploits capitalism while standing outside of it then dies an early death having reached the pinnacle of having it all? why do so many young kids, especially black and brown kids, expect to die an early death? is their love for the movie a reflection of their own expectation? what does that mean for their choices now? what impact could we have in these communities if we focus on a message that life is worth living. their lives have dignity?


just spitballing.


Moonlight won an Oscar but that movie was boring as shit and i'd rather watch Belly. just spitballing



belly: the musical directed by Donald Glover tonight on Fox


just spitballing
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 26397
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Re: 30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Postby CourtesyFlush » 20 Nov 2017, 10:56

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Well, that was kinda depressing.

That was tremendous. Meh plus+

Some notes:
- good god that Verne Gagne wrestling camp was ridic, specifically the first part with the stairs.
- Charlotte Flair looked hot as hell in her interviews.
- I admire his ability to drink as much as he did/does.
- how much did they pay Hogan to talk so positively about Flair? Lol, sure Jan.

Finally seen it last week. I en joyed it overall as well. The parts about his rise and the interviews with Sting, Steamboat, Jim Ross, etc were my favorite. Loved seeing some of the archival NWA footage. And yeah, he's lived a pretty miserable existence outside of the ring.

Also saw Catholics vs. Convicts. I remember that game really well and Jimmy Johnson electing to go for 2 at the end. Pretty crazy story about the director's buddy who was behind the t-shirt and his involvement with the ND men's basketball team. Solid rec.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 14614
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Previous

Return to Even More Cowbell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests