30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: 30 for 30 n/k/a ESPN Films

Postby Dthefritz » 10 Nov 2017, 17:33

Gregs Kite wrote:

Isn't Flair and old, decrepit, broke mess now? How was it glorifying anything?

Well without having seen the doc or read the article, it comes down to the age old question: does Scarface glorify drug dealing in spite of Tony Montana's fate? Or are people who watch it just morons?
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 10 Nov 2017, 18:15

The doc didn't glorify his behavior at all. Heck, HHH said basically everything Flair says is a lie and he uses him as an example to the newbies as what not to do with yourself outside of the ring.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby mister bacon » 13 Nov 2017, 10:56

Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:

Well without having seen the doc or read the article, it comes down to the age old question: does Scarface glorify drug dealing in spite of Tony Montana's fate? Or are people who watch it just morons?

or it could be the purest distillation of the nihilism at the center of modern capitalism and American urban pop culture. maybe the question is why do so many cultural tastemakers admire and identify with a character that fully exploits capitalism while standing outside of it then dies an early death having reached the pinnacle of having it all? why do so many young kids, especially black and brown kids, expect to die an early death? is their love for the movie a reflection of their own expectation? what does that mean for their choices now? what impact could we have in these communities if we focus on a message that life is worth living. their lives have dignity?

just spitballing.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby SouthernYokel » 13 Nov 2017, 10:59

mister bacon wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:

or it could be the purest distillation of the nihilism at the center of modern capitalism and American urban pop culture. maybe the question is why do so many cultural tastemakers admire and identify with a character that fully exploits capitalism while standing outside of it then dies an early death having reached the pinnacle of having it all? why do so many young kids, especially black and brown kids, expect to die an early death? is their love for the movie a reflection of their own expectation? what does that mean for their choices now? what impact could we have in these communities if we focus on a message that life is worth living. their lives have dignity?

just spitballing.

Moonlight won an Oscar but that movie was boring as shit and i'd rather watch Belly. just spitballing
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby mister bacon » 13 Nov 2017, 11:04

SouthernYokel wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:

just spitballing.

Moonlight won an Oscar but that movie was boring as shit and i'd rather watch Belly. just spitballing

belly: the musical directed by Donald Glover tonight on Fox

just spitballing
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Previous

Return to Even More Cowbell