ESPN hires Rick Reilly

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

ESPN hires Rick Reilly

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Oct 2007, 10:33

Reilly to the Worldwide Leader.

I wonder if this was direct revenge for Dan Patrick. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not likely to matter much.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31342
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: ESPN hires Rick Reilly

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 22 Oct 2007, 10:41

Frank the Tank wrote:Reilly to the Worldwide Leader.

I wonder if this was direct revenge for Dan Patrick. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not likely to matter much.


yet another reason to hate the WWL. Reilly is the biggest douchebag in sports journalism.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
User avatar
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7425
Joined: 08 Oct 2005, 14:11
Location: New Jersey

Re: ESPN hires Rick Reilly

Postby kaskomm09 » 22 Oct 2007, 13:27

Untouchable wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:Reilly to the Worldwide Leader.

I wonder if this was direct revenge for Dan Patrick. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not likely to matter much.


yet another reason to hate the WWL. Reilly is the biggest douchebag in sports journalism.


This man would like a word with you...

Image
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
User avatar
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: 24 Jul 2005, 19:54
Location: Champion of the Sun

Postby nova » 22 Oct 2007, 14:26

No, Rick Reilly is worse. At least Mariotti is limited to a city nobody cares about and a TV show nobody watches. Rick Reilly will be all over the place now.

Kidding, Chicagons, but in the grand scheme of things, Chicago is no New York, Boston or LA.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25372
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 22 Oct 2007, 14:29

nasty nova wrote:No, Rick Reilly is worse. At least Mariotti is limited to a city nobody cares about and a TV show nobody watches. Rick Reilly will be all over the place now.

Kidding, Chicagons, but in the grand scheme of things, Chicago is no New York, Boston or LA.


fuck boston. their proximity to espn has done alot for their reputation as a "big market" city.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
User avatar
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7425
Joined: 08 Oct 2005, 14:11
Location: New Jersey

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Oct 2007, 14:59

Untouchable wrote:fuck boston. their proximity to espn has done alot for their reputation as a "big market" city.


I think the fact that they're actually the fifth biggest TV market in the nation has more to do with them being a "big market" city.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31342
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Postby the cheese » 22 Oct 2007, 15:05

Frank the Tank wrote:
Untouchable wrote:fuck boston. their proximity to espn has done alot for their reputation as a "big market" city.


I think the fact that they're actually the fifth biggest TV market in the nation has more to do with them being a "big market" city.


And yet Boston is less than a third of the size of New York, less than half the size of Los Angeles, 33% smaller than Chicago, and 20% smaller than Philadelphia, while simultaneously being within 20,000 TV households of San Francisco and 39,000 of Dallas/Fort Worth. While Boston is large, it gets far more TV coverage than cities of similar size, including Washington D.C., Atlanta, Houston, and Detroit.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17532
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Postby kaskomm09 » 22 Oct 2007, 15:19

nasty nova wrote:No, Rick Reilly is worse. At least Mariotti is limited to a city nobody cares about and a TV show nobody watches. Rick Reilly will be all over the place now.

Kidding, Chicagons, but in the grand scheme of things, Chicago is no New York, Boston or LA.


First, Marrioti is on ESPN a good deal. Secondly, "Chicago" gets attached to his name, as if he's our fault. You know how embarassing it is to have that waste of a facial attached to your home city? Why can't Pittsburgh take the blame for raising him?
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
User avatar
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: 24 Jul 2005, 19:54
Location: Champion of the Sun

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Oct 2007, 15:20

the cheese wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
Untouchable wrote:fuck boston. their proximity to espn has done alot for their reputation as a "big market" city.


I think the fact that they're actually the fifth biggest TV market in the nation has more to do with them being a "big market" city.


And yet Boston is less than a third of the size of New York, less than half the size of Los Angeles, 33% smaller than Chicago, and 20% smaller than Philadelphia, while simultaneously being within 20,000 TV households of San Francisco and 39,000 of Dallas/Fort Worth. While Boston is large, it gets far more TV coverage than cities of similar size, including Washington D.C., Atlanta, Houston, and Detroit.


Before the Garnett signing, which team was getting more coverage: the Pistons or the Celtics? Surely team performance matters in getting coverage. Boston's going through a good run right now and that's certainly helping them, but I'm getting fucking sick and tired of the east coast bias bullshit. Like they said on ESPN Radio the other day, the entire nation tunes in for Red Sox vs. Yankees. That's where the ratings are, and therefore that's where the coverage is going to be. Granted St. Louis vs. Chicago and San Fran vs. L.A. are great rivalries, but if they're only getting 25% the ratings should they really get as much coverage?
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31342
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Postby the cheese » 22 Oct 2007, 15:27

Frank the Tank wrote:
the cheese wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
Untouchable wrote:fuck boston. their proximity to espn has done alot for their reputation as a "big market" city.


I think the fact that they're actually the fifth biggest TV market in the nation has more to do with them being a "big market" city.


And yet Boston is less than a third of the size of New York, less than half the size of Los Angeles, 33% smaller than Chicago, and 20% smaller than Philadelphia, while simultaneously being within 20,000 TV households of San Francisco and 39,000 of Dallas/Fort Worth. While Boston is large, it gets far more TV coverage than cities of similar size, including Washington D.C., Atlanta, Houston, and Detroit.


Like they said on ESPN Radio the other day, the entire nation tunes in for Red Sox vs. Yankees. That's where the ratings are, and therefore that's where the coverage is going to be. Granted St. Louis vs. Chicago and San Fran vs. L.A. are great rivalries, but if they're only getting 25% the ratings should they really get as much coverage?


Perhaps this is because ESPN has invested the last four years and untold millions of in-house advertising to promote the Yankees - Red Sox rivalry, to the point that 4 out of 5 casual baseball fans could name half of either clubs' starting line-ups? You could argue that the reason that ratings for those games are high because ESPN has opted to cover them more intently than any other, almost to the expense of all other teams and rivalries. Its easy to generate higher ratings when the players involved have almost been developed into characters by the network televising the game. Red Sox - Yankees is damn near ESPN Original Entertainment's most successful project.
Last edited by the cheese on 22 Oct 2007, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17532
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Postby Colonel Angus » 22 Oct 2007, 15:29

ESPN The Magazine editor in chief Gary Hoenig said that: "With Rick joining Bill Simmons, our readers will now enjoy the two best sports columnists anywhere."


Wow. Just... wow.
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Postby the cheese » 22 Oct 2007, 15:31

ESPN The Magazine editor in chief Gary Hoenig wrote: "With Rick joining Bill Simmons, our readers will now enjoy the two most annoying, sanctimonious, under-researched, unedited lifestyle columnists anywhere."


Fixed
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 17532
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Postby Briandong79 » 22 Oct 2007, 15:31

Colonel Angus wrote:
ESPN The Magazine editor in chief Gary Hoenig said that: "With Rick joining Bill Simmons, our readers will now enjoy the two best sports columnists anywhere."


Wow. Just... wow.


Fuck I was just copying and pasting that exact quote.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 30174
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Oct 2007, 15:37

the cheese wrote:Perhaps this is because ESPN has invested the last four years and untold millions of in-house advertising to promote the Yankees - Red Sox rivalry, to the point that 4 out of 5 casual baseball fans could name half of either clubs' starting line-ups? You could argue that the reason that ratings for those games are high because ESPN has opted to cover them more intently than any other, almost to the expense of all other teams and rivalries. Its easy to generate higher ratings when the players involved have almost been developed into characters by the network televising the game. Red Sox - Yankees is damn near ESPN Original Entertainment's most successful project.


I disagree. I think it's easier to promote the east coast teams because it's easier for the west coast to watch east coast games on weekdays than vice-versa. Also Red Sox-Yankees was baseball's biggest rivalry before ESPN was conceived, let alone when they started covering baseball. Three ALCS meetings in six seasons didn't hurt either.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31342
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Postby myherobobhope » 22 Oct 2007, 15:46

Frank the Tank wrote:
the cheese wrote:Perhaps this is because ESPN has invested the last four years and untold millions of in-house advertising to promote the Yankees - Red Sox rivalry, to the point that 4 out of 5 casual baseball fans could name half of either clubs' starting line-ups? You could argue that the reason that ratings for those games are high because ESPN has opted to cover them more intently than any other, almost to the expense of all other teams and rivalries. Its easy to generate higher ratings when the players involved have almost been developed into characters by the network televising the game. Red Sox - Yankees is damn near ESPN Original Entertainment's most successful project.


I disagree. I think it's easier to promote the east coast teams because it's easier for the west coast to watch east coast games on weekdays than vice-versa. Also Red Sox-Yankees was baseball's biggest rivalry before ESPN was conceived, let alone when they started covering baseball. Three ALCS meetings in six seasons didn't hurt either.


The Yankees-Red Sox rivalry is the biggest rivalry in baseball. I say this as a SF Giants fan.

All other baseball rivalries pale in comparison. Add to the fact that they are usually competitive, a small east coast bias (there is one, it's overhyped), the 2004 WS, the ALCS matchups (2003 especially)... and it's a prepackaged story.

People who don't like or watch baseball "get" the Yankees vs. Red Sox. ESPN has over exposed it, but it's understandable.
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
User avatar
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3299
Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 14:33
Location: Pretending to be a fan

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest