Jemele Hill

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Jemele Hill

Postby edogpgc » 15 Nov 2006, 13:28

She comes out of the gate with some subtle, and mostly non-subtle Whitlock bashing.

She seems really full of herself to me, but maybe that's just naturally how these "Who I am" "manifestos" are.

There's no doubt she becomes my favorite Page 2 writer.

ETA- http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... d=tab1pos1

Sorry 'bout that.
Last edited by edogpgc on 15 Nov 2006, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby MoreCowbell » 15 Nov 2006, 13:35

What is this? Do you have a link or something?
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby Theny » 15 Nov 2006, 13:40

Hook us up w/ a link edog.

Tiff, I think she's the new Page 2 writer from Orlando. Black power, baby...
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Fletch » 15 Nov 2006, 13:41

Theny wrote:Hook us up w/ a link edog.

Tiff, I think she's the new Page 2 writer from Orlando. Black power, baby...

C'mon, people...it ain't that hard to find:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ill/061115
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby Brick Tamland » 15 Nov 2006, 13:57

Not bad, though I think the title of this thread is unnecessarily insulting since this woman appears to possess the ability to write complete and coherent sentences.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby edogpgc » 15 Nov 2006, 14:04

Brick Tamland wrote:Not bad, though I think the title of this thread is unnecessarily insulting since this woman appears to possess the ability to write complete and coherent sentences.

Hmm, it was more because she came out with the whole anti-Whitlock thing, and because she does seem to be another "black voice" on Page 2, and because she did the "manifesto" type column.
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby Fletch » 15 Nov 2006, 14:25

I liked her column and look forward to hearing more from her.

Scoop is downright unreadable at this point (at least for me), so I don't get the comparison.

I know everyone has an agenda, but I can't say that I have liked (or read much of) the female writers that Page 2 has had. Seems like Jemele will be different - and maybe even funny to boot.

Though I will say that the "two voices" thing better go away quick. It's just so happens that he was black, and I don't want to merely compare her to another black Page 2 writer, but I HATED Wiley's multiple personality schtick. It was annoying as all hell.
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby Theny » 15 Nov 2006, 14:28

That was probably a one time thing Fletch. I bet it's hard to do a first column about yourself, so she came up w/ that idea. W.E., we'll see how she does.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby JichaelDick » 15 Nov 2006, 14:29

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:Though I will say that the "two voices" thing better go away quick. It's just so happens that he was black, and I don't want to merely compare her to another black Page 2 writer, but I HATED Wiley's multiple personality schtick. It was annoying as all hell.

You're racist against dead people.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Fletch » 15 Nov 2006, 14:31

JichaelDick wrote:
Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:Though I will say that the "two voices" thing better go away quick. It's just so happens that he was black, and I don't want to merely compare her to another black Page 2 writer, but I HATED Wiley's multiple personality schtick. It was annoying as all hell.

You're racist against dead people.

Damn skippy. I like to do a little bojangle dance on their graves, even. :twisted:
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby the cheese » 15 Nov 2006, 14:34

Color me unimpressed. So far just about every statement she made had been made before by someone a lot more credible. She wasn't funny. And she's a woman. Don't women have magazines they can write for? US, People, OK!, Cosmo, Redbook? Can't they just stay in the kitchen?

At least Mary Buckheit has a new object for her affection.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby edogpgc » 15 Nov 2006, 14:54

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:I liked her column and look forward to hearing more from her.

Scoop is downright unreadable at this point (at least for me), so I don't get the comparison.

I know everyone has an agenda, but I can't say that I have liked (or read much of) the female writers that Page 2 has had. Seems like Jemele will be different - and maybe even funny to boot.

Though I will say that the "two voices" thing better go away quick. It's just so happens that he was black, and I don't want to merely compare her to another black Page 2 writer, but I HATED Wiley's multiple personality schtick. It was annoying as all hell.

Ok, by popular demand, I changed the title. Let me just clarify, though; I feel like ESPN.com has basically just fallen into hiring people by niche. You've got your "black voices" (Scoop, her, Alan Grant, Bomani Jones) , and you've got your "celebrity gossip/social statement voices" (Mary Buckheit, some other chick- I can't remember her name, maybe Alipour?). Then you have people like Richard Lapchick, who writes articles every once in a while, basically implicitly (or explicitly) telling us how we should view the world. Instead of hiring the best, most talented sportswriters, it seems like they try to hire writers to fit a niche. I could be wrong, but I think it's contributed the most to why everyone thinks Page 2 sucks so much now.
edogpgc
Friend of Lohan

Postby mister bacon » 15 Nov 2006, 14:54

Jemele Hill wrote:I also would ask: If former Miami Hurricanes announcer Lamar Thomas were white, would he have ever been given a broadcast job in the first place? His criminal sheet is so long he could have been a foot soldier for Tony Soprano.

TRU.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby MoreCowbell » 15 Nov 2006, 14:56

the cheese wrote:Color me unimpressed.

Tell me you used this phrase on purpose! Fits in so nicely with this thread.
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby Fletch » 15 Nov 2006, 15:05

mister bacon wrote:
Jemele Hill wrote:I also would ask: If former Miami Hurricanes announcer Lamar Thomas were white, would he have ever been given a broadcast job in the first place? His criminal sheet is so long he could have been a foot soldier for Tony Soprano.

TRU.

I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about Lamar Thomas or Miami Hurricanes announcing gigs, but as a crazy cracker, that statement read to me like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for whoever hired him (I think I'm safe to assume it was a white person).

(Strong generalization ahead) So...if black folks don't get announcing/coaching jobs, white people are evil, and if they do get jobs, then black folks will say that "if they were white, they never would have been hired"?

If I'm missing some important details, please fill me in. It sure seems like it.
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell