Whitlock

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Whitlock

Postby Snake » 09 Mar 2006, 20:58

In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, very insightful column by Jason Whitlock on Vince Young. At least I'm not alone in yelling BUST BUST BUST at the guy.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby JichaelDick » 09 Mar 2006, 21:01

I'm trying to figure this out...Vince Young singlehandedly beats the "greatest team of all time," and many folks wanted Houston to draft him first. But because he did poorly on the Wunderlic, he's suddenly gonna be a bust? WTF?
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Snake » 09 Mar 2006, 21:03

That's easy. ESPN's hype machine is who called USC the greatest team of all-time. They actually weren't. They actually weren't even close to the USC team the year before. The greatest team of all time needs to be able to play a little defense.

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby JichaelDick » 09 Mar 2006, 21:05

Snake wrote:That's easy. ESPN's hype machine is who called USC the greatest team of all-time. They actually weren't. They actually weren't even close to the USC team the year before. The greatest team of all time needs to be able to play a little defense.

I completely agree. My head damn near exploded when I found out that 58% of America thought USC would beat the '95 Nebraska team. ESPN's hype machine has come back to bite them in the ass with USC, and it probably will with the Dook Blue Devils. Still, I don't know if a bad score on a test means VY will be a bust. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, but you never know. He could be a better version of Steve McNair when all is said and done.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Snake » 09 Mar 2006, 21:08

Like Whitlock said in the column, the test score is only a symptom, not the cause. And as I've said countless times, watch the tape of that Rose Bowl, Young made several HORRIBLE decisions that didn't come back to bite him only because of the incompetence of USC. Decision making is the quetsion with Vince, and all those things are something to worry abotu. To the best of my recollection, the last high profile player to pick an agent with that little experience to represent him going into the draft was Ricky Williams, and we all know how great Ricky's decision making is. Ominous signs man, that's all it is.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby JichaelDick » 09 Mar 2006, 21:11

Maybe so...but VY looked pretty damn good against some good college defenses, too. Ohio State and Oklahoma come to mind.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 09 Mar 2006, 21:18

I liked it.
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby JichaelDick » 09 Mar 2006, 21:19

Montecore's Revenge wrote:I liked it.

You're not supposed to like anything Whitlock writes, remember? :lol:
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 09 Mar 2006, 21:23

JichaelDick wrote:

I've said repeatedly that I like most of what he writes. However, I guess Bacon and Nova get to define who I am, so anything I say is pointless. Kneel before Zod.
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby JichaelDick » 09 Mar 2006, 21:27

Montecore's Revenge wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

I've said repeatedly that I like most of what he writes. However, I guess Bacon and Nova get to define who I am, so anything I say is pointless. Kneel before Zod.

Damn, MR. I was just kidding. I dunno about Whitlock...sometimes he is on point (i.e. The article about Mike Davis leaving Indiana). Then, sometimes, he's just wrong (saying the Packers would win the NFC North after they started 0-4).
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mister bacon » 09 Mar 2006, 21:31

JichaelDick wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not a Whitlock fan. Happy?
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 09 Mar 2006, 21:33

mister bacon wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not a Whitlock fan. Happy?

It makes no difference to me whether you like him or not. Why would I care?
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby mister bacon » 09 Mar 2006, 21:39

I dunno, you just seemed a bit testy about me defining who you are... I just threw it out there to make you feel better.

I actually just read the column and 100% agree with Whitlock. Young's decison making ability is suspect in my eyes, not because of the test but more about what Whitlock says.. his choice in agent and visiting the White House in inappropriate clothing.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 09 Mar 2006, 21:41

mister bacon wrote:

I dunno, you just seemed a bit testy about me defining who you are... I just threw it out there to make you feel better.

I actually just read the column and 100% agree with Whitlock. Young's decison making ability is suspect in my eyes, not because of the test but more about what Whitlock says.. his choice in agent and visiting the White House in inappropriate clothing.

I'm not testy. Sorry if I seemed so.

So, what do you think of my SOTSG fantasy team, Bacon?
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby nova » 09 Mar 2006, 21:47

Can't we all just get along?

Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell