Paul Lukas' UniWatch

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Paul Lukas' UniWatch

Postby Rodney Farva » 16 Dec 2005, 09:31

Am I the only one dorky enough to like this guy's work? The only drawback is clicking on link after link after link after link after........ but minor quibble, since he does do an excellent job with the illustrative pics, especially if you're not already up on, say, Kobe wearing leg-warming pantyhose.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Re: Paul Lukas' UniWatch

Postby nova » 16 Dec 2005, 09:33

Rodney Farva wrote:Am I the only one dorky enough to like this guy's work? The only drawback is clicking on link after link after link after link after........ but minor quibble, since he does do an excellent job with the illustrative pics, especially if you're not already up on, say, Kobe wearing leg-warming pantyhose.

I read it every week, but I am not really impressed with it. Sometimes, he takes little things way too far.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby TheDooze » 16 Dec 2005, 09:35

Last edited by TheDooze on 10 Feb 2009, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Colonel Angus » 16 Dec 2005, 10:07

I enjoy it. Call it petty, but I really like that each link opens up a new window in your browser, so you can look at it, close it, and you're right back at the column.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Adam Carolla » 16 Dec 2005, 10:38

Wow, this guy IS totally cool. Of course coming from me, that's probably not a reliable assessment.

I had this one book when I was in junior high that detailed every uniform (including random patches etc.) of every Major League Baseball team for every season between 1900 and about 1992. IIRC, each left page had a simple illustration of home/road(and maybe alternate) uniforms for every team in the AL in a given year, the right page had the same for every NL team. The next 2 pages were the next year. I POURED over that thing. Man, it was so bizzare to have such a meticulously researched reference on such a goofy subject. I wonder if it made the move from my parents' old house?
Adam Carolla
Another dude worth meeting

Location: Bringing this ice cream maker all the way from Bespin to pegs near you in 2009.

Postby Buddy Revell » 16 Dec 2005, 11:04

So I am not the only one? It's kind of like admitting you're an adult that likes Harry Potter. UniWatch is incredibly dorky, but I definitely enjoy it as well.

Sometimes he gets a little too carried away in the details, though. I didn't care much for the dissertation on the NBA choice of socks, but I love the stuff on uniforms and throwbacks and some of the subtle changes that occur. The guy's attention to detail is remarkable.
Buddy Revell
Hope College Alum

Postby Big Scary Monster » 16 Dec 2005, 13:44

No, I read his stuff as well. Especially since Page 2 stopped running their "Making It Better" series where they used to detail the upcoming sports and the changes in uniforms and you got to vote on which one you liked better. Uniforms have always been interesting to me. There is a sports bar here that has 100's of old helmets on the wall and its so neat just to walk around and look at them. They also have a display case where they put the old helmets of the top 20 college teams in ranking order.

Lukas gets a little crazy on the details sometimes and the links are a pain in the ass, but overall, i think its very interesting. He clearly has too much time on his hands.
Gregs Kite - Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:42 am: I bet he had an ARRGGGGGHHHHHRUGALA salad.

[Thu 12:05] jack_daniels: the big scar monster does whatever the big scary monster does. so i dont really care.
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby SuperJon » 16 Jan 2007, 22:49

Just so you know, Lukas updates his blog everyday with new stuff. http://www.uniwatchblog.com
SuperJon
Chuggo

Postby Rodney Farva » 01 Mar 2007, 16:05

Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby DirtDawg » 01 Mar 2007, 16:16

Rodney Farva wrote:this chick seems like she'd be a blast to hang out with, but, uhm, well, that picture.

I'd do it.
Bricks - given the opportunity I would rape your dead grandmother's corpse and burn down your house. No offense.
MTM - A saint that rapes is still saint.
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten

Postby mister bacon » 01 Mar 2007, 16:20

Rodney Farva wrote:this chick seems like she'd be a blast to hang out with, but, uhm, well, that picture.

UW: It sounds like you?re an actual sports fan yourself.

PKC: I had no choice, really.

UW: You mean it was a prerequisite for the job?

PKC: No, I mean growing up with my father and brother.

UW: Oh! Well, is it a prerequisite for the job? Can you work for Company X if you?re not a sports fan?

PKC: Yeah, you can. We have a lot of overweight people who work there, too. I mean, come on, we make athletic apparel?

that got a hearty chortle out of me.

agreed with your assessment 100%. lets hope its a bad picture.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Rodney Farva » 01 Mar 2007, 16:43

this was my favorite:

PKC: We keep them in a controlled environment. Our lab is conditioned?

UW: What does that mean?

PKC [after long pause]: Sorry, I just looked at MySpace and saw a picture of my brother?s butt ? ugh! Fuck him, y?know? Wait, where were we?
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 29 Feb 2008, 13:45

Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Dick Hertz » 27 Jan 2009, 12:23

I like reading Lukas' UniWatch, he does some great research.

Anyways, here is an article about the Texas Ranger's new uniforms/hats.

The two-toned batting helmet is God awful.

Dick Hertz
Gray

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 27 Jan 2009, 12:36

is that taken with a camera phone?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell