Simmons on ESPN?

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: Simmons on ESPN?

Postby IhateTomBrady » 14 Nov 2008, 00:52

The dork gets called out for his Pats bias by some other douchebag suggesting ESPN has an ani-Bills bias.

http://deadspin.com/5086427/contentious ... ock-washer
_ to Dick Hertz: You wrote your own death when you signed the cheque off on that McMansion that is most definitely underwater at this point but too proud to tell anyone here... You don't know jack shit about the blue collar life you yuppie faggot.
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby jman » 14 Nov 2008, 01:42

IhateTomBrady wrote:The dork gets called out for his Pats bias by some other douchebag suggesting ESPN has an ani-Bills bias.

http://deadspin.com/5086427/contentious ... ock-washer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wow, I've heard some conspiracy theories, but ESPN hiring ex-Cowboys in order to establish an anti-Bills bias is a reach. How about the fact that they were both immensly well-known players for "America's Team"? And ESPN continuously knobslobs the Cowboys with coverage anyway, so why not have a couple of their icons on the network?
jman
Another dude worth meeting

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 14 Nov 2008, 17:20

which is only further proof of anti-Bills bias at that network

this was sarcasm i hope?
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby NFL Outsider » 17 Nov 2008, 20:27

Brick Tamland wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
Dick Hertz wrote:
Prez wrote:posted in the box today:

http://www.weei.com/Not-Good-Times-for-Simmons/3249831

a nice recap of the issues between simmons and espn

That was a great recap. I had not heard about the friday picks article or the Obama interview that Reilly eventually got.

To me it sounds like it's time for both sides to rip up the contract to me.

That'll never happen... even if ESPN were to stop getting content from Simmons, that contract is still keeping him from going to SI or Fox or Yahoo (Yahoo, btw, is the #1 sports site in the world in terms of site traffic, thanks to their fantasy sports success) and drawing attention/audience to their competition. As long as they keep paying him, it's effectively a non-compete tool, albeit a kinda pricey one... any quality content they get from him now is just gravy.

Hahaha. This is quite amusing to me.
Read http://thehaternation.blogspot.com or the terrorists have won.
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Brick Tamland » 17 Nov 2008, 20:37

NFL Outsider wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
Dick Hertz wrote:

That was a great recap. I had not heard about the friday picks article or the Obama interview that Reilly eventually got.

That'll never happen... even if ESPN were to stop getting content from Simmons, that contract is still keeping him from going to SI or Fox or Yahoo (Yahoo, btw, is the #1 sports site in the world in terms of site traffic, thanks to their fantasy sports success) and drawing attention/audience to their competition. As long as they keep paying him, it's effectively a non-compete tool, albeit a kinda pricey one... any quality content they get from him now is just gravy.

Which? My theory itself or the thought that it may actually be correct and he's being held in contractual purgatory?
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby NFL Outsider » 18 Nov 2008, 01:47

Brick Tamland wrote:
NFL Outsider wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:
Dick Hertz wrote:

Which? My theory itself or the thought that it may actually be correct and he's being held in contractual purgatory?

Sorry for the confusion Brick, but I think you nailed it. This reminds me of pro wrestling during the Monday Night wars when a performer would be under contract and unable to jump to WCW (or vice versa). The Dork has become so big that he believes that he's bigger than the brand. Who knows, maybe he is. But he might want to take a look at Dan Patrick's post-ESPN career before taking too big of a leap. Dan Shanoff, too.
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Prez » 28 Jan 2010, 19:54

A buddy of mine who's a big bowling fan sent me this:

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. – Bill Simmons, popularly known as “The Sports Guy” by his thousands of followers on ESPN.com and Twitter, will join the Professional Bowlers Association broadcast team of Rob Stone and Randy Pedersen for Sunday’s finals of the One A Day Dick Weber Open. The Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour finals will move to ESPN2 for one week only. The Dick Weber Open finals will air at 1 p.m. Eastern (10 a.m. Pacific).

Simmons, an ESPN.com columnist who also does regular podcasts called “The BS Report,” also was executive producer of the “30 for 30” documentary series on ESPN. He also is author of “Now I Can Die in Peace,” in the wake of the Boston Red Sox finally winning a World Series title, and the New York Times best-seller, “The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy.”

“I have not done bowling before, but Rob and I have been friends for years and he’s been wanting me to do a show, but our schedules never worked out before this,” Simmons said.

“I follow the game a bit,” he added. “Like everyone else, I bowled a lot as a kid. I had a 199 once…I had it (a 200 game) going into the 10th frame, but… Well, it still haunts me.”

Simmons said he has watched highlights of Kelly Kulick’s historic victory in the PBA Tournament of Champions, and was greatly impressed, but this will be his first in-person opportunity to watch the stars of the PBA in action.

“I’ve never been to a PBA event, so I’m excited to do that. I’ve had a lot of great sports experiences, but I’ve never done a PBA event. One thing I do know about the PBA is that its fans are hard-core, and I respect that,” he continued. “I’m not going to crack jokes or anything. I’m just going to try to fit in and be entertaining. It’ll be fun to be part of the show.”

I'm guessing their rating must be in the dumper if they're having Simmons as a guest "celebrity" announcer
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Colonel Angus » 28 Jan 2010, 19:58

Prez wrote:A buddy of mine who's a big bowling fan sent me this:

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. – my favorite podcaster, popularly known as “The Sports Guy” by his thousands of followers on ESPN.com and Twitter, will join the Professional Bowlers Association broadcast team of Rob Stone and Randy Pedersen for Sunday’s finals of the One A Day Dick Weber Open. The Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour finals will move to ESPN2 for one week only. The Dick Weber Open finals will air at 1 p.m. Eastern (10 a.m. Pacific).

Simmons, an ESPN.com columnist who also does regular podcasts called “The BS Report,” also was executive producer of the “30 for 30” documentary series on ESPN. He also is author of “Now I Can Die in Peace,” in the wake of the Boston Red Sox finally winning a World Series title, and the New York Times best-seller, “The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy.”

“I have not done bowling before, but Rob and I have been friends for years and he’s been wanting me to do a show, but our schedules never worked out before this,” Simmons said.

“I follow the game a bit,” he added. “Like everyone else, I bowled a lot as a kid. I had a 199 once…I had it (a 200 game) going into the 10th frame, but… Well, it still haunts me.”

Simmons said he has watched highlights of Kelly Kulick’s historic victory in the PBA Tournament of Champions, and was greatly impressed, but this will be his first in-person opportunity to watch the stars of the PBA in action.

“I’ve never been to a PBA event, so I’m excited to do that. I’ve had a lot of great sports experiences, but I’ve never done a PBA event. One thing I do know about the PBA is that its fans are hard-core, and I respect that,” he continued. “I’m not going to crack jokes or anything. I’m just going to try to fit in and be entertaining. It’ll be fun to be part of the show.”

I'm guessing their rating must be in the dumper if they're having Simmons as a guest "celebrity" announcer

Was it that that tipped you off? Or was it that it is bowling?
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Briandong79 » 28 Jan 2010, 20:04

Bowling's ratings beat hockey's.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 28 Jan 2010, 21:50

Shit, Sunday, eh? I might have to drive over there for it.

Edit: nevermind, I thought it was the PBA tournament that used to be at Dick Weber Lanes by my childhood house in STL county.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 31 Jan 2010, 13:15

Lets see if Simpson can make it thru the telecast without referring to Boston teams/sports pain, etc. I bet he can.not.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Prez » 31 Jan 2010, 17:37

My buddy who sent me the info on the Simmons/bowling stuff just sent me another email telling me that the guys on some bowling forum were trashing him.

I don't feel like registering, but if anyone's interested in reading some good Simpson bashing, here's the link:

http://pbaforum.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=832278&page=all
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby NFL Outsider » 31 Jan 2010, 18:17

Oh man, Simpson was in Fountain Valley and nobody told me? Come on people. I would have called in sick for this.
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Dick Hertz » 31 Jan 2010, 23:03

NFL Outsider wrote:Oh man, Simpson was in Fountain Valley and nobody told me? Come on people. I would have called in sick for this.

But if you go to Fountain Valley for Simpson and bowling, then the joke is on you.

Fountain Valley, it's no Costa Mesa, but it's slightly better than Santa Ana. That tri-city death trap is no way to spend a day off.
Dick Hertz
Gray

Postby mister bacon » 01 Feb 2010, 09:02

Dick Hertz wrote:
NFL Outsider wrote:Oh man, Simpson was in Fountain Valley and nobody told me? Come on people. I would have called in sick for this.

But if you go to Fountain Valley for Simpson and bowling, then the joke is on you.

Fountain Valley, it's no Costa Mesa, but it's slightly better than Santa Ana. That tri-city death trap is no way to spend a day off.

if you haven't spent any time in la habra or hawaiian gardens, don't talk to me.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

PreviousNext

Return to Even More Cowbell