Simmons on ESPN?

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Simmons on ESPN?

Postby SimmonsForPres » 03 Dec 2004, 11:33

Hey everybody, I'm new to the site and just wanted to say I'm just as obsessed with Bill as you guys are.

I'm just wondering...why doesn't Bill ever appear on ESPN? Why doesn't he make a guest appearance on SportsCenter, PTI or around the horn as a substitute host? I want to see what he actually sounds and acts like, in person. Anyone know?
SimmonsForPres
PrettyWhorey

Postby TheWolf » 03 Dec 2004, 11:45

I've heard him call into The SportsBash on ESPN Radio numerous times. He sounds a little awkward doing live stuff in my opinion. The times I've heard him he's mostly just been talking about his columns, and it's funny because I've read it and know what he's talking about. But it just doesn't translate to live media very well for some reason. I don't know, he just didn't seem comfortable with it. I think he could be really funny on something like Around the Horn or PTI if he had the proper preparation, but there's gotta be a reason he's never done it.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Yeah, I see what you mean

Postby SimmonsForPres » 03 Dec 2004, 11:59

I really wish I could catch him on ESPN Radio sometime. For example, he wrote a column about the NFL with his picks today, but I really wish I could hear his opinion on this steroid deal, the celtics, and other sports topics. That's why I think he'd be perfect on a show like PTI or ATH.
SimmonsForPres
PrettyWhorey

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 03 Dec 2004, 12:00

Yeah he has mentioned in a couple articles that he feels pretty uncomfortable doing radio and tv. someone says he has a pretty nasally voice
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby SimmonsForPres » 03 Dec 2004, 12:11

This is off the subject, but how do you get "Doug Christie" out from under my name?
SimmonsForPres
PrettyWhorey

Postby Big Scary Monster » 03 Dec 2004, 12:19

He also wrote awhile back that he gets very overzealous when he is on shows like that and starts to make ridiculous overclaims and exaggerations. Then he spends the rest of his time either trying to play defense or backing off of his claim. I wish I could find the article, but alas, the Insider has foiled me again.

Also, ae was on Cold Pizza awhile back, but I missed it.
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 03 Dec 2004, 12:56

SimmonsForPres wrote:This is off the subject, but how do you get "Doug Christie" out from under my name?

just keep putting up posts it'll change
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby TheWolf » 03 Dec 2004, 13:14

SimmonsForPres wrote:This is off the subject, but how do you get "Doug Christie" out from under my name?

"Doug Christie" is a ranking. The more posts you have, the more complimentary your ranking will be.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Tecmo Bo » 03 Dec 2004, 13:35

It's also indicative of how much free time you have.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 03 Dec 2004, 13:57

I'm pretty sure it's also directly related to your likelihood of getting fired due to a complete lack of productivity.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby MoreCowbell » 03 Dec 2004, 13:57

howboutafrescahmmm wrote:Yeah he has mentioned in a couple articles that he feels pretty uncomfortable doing radio and tv. someone says he has a pretty nasally voice

Yeah I saw him in a skit on Kimmel one time, his voice is pretty nasally, and he seemed pretty nervous...
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby SimmonsForPres » 03 Dec 2004, 14:06

"Doug Christie" is a ranking. The more posts you have, the more complimentary your ranking will be.

Now I understand, thanks. If that's the case, then I feel sorry for the last person that posted. Dale Sveum?!?! Ouch.
SimmonsForPres
PrettyWhorey

Postby MoreCowbell » 03 Dec 2004, 14:15

SimmonsForPres wrote:Now I understand, thanks. If that's the case, then I feel sorry for the last person that posted. Dale Sveum?!?! Ouch.

Speaking of Dale Sveum, that reminds me...has anyone else ever noticed during an NFL game, as a player is running towards the endzone and passes by his team and coaches on the sideline, there is always that one coach who has his arm going like a third base coach...I'm always thinking, does he really need to do that? Is there ever a time youre going to put up the stop sign? "Ok, stop right there at the 40 yard line, we dont want that touchdown yet!"
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby Tecmo Bo » 03 Dec 2004, 14:17

Don't feel sorry for Tiff, she's a cool chick bya ll accounts. The Dale Sveum ranking is probably the only thing she has going against her.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby SimmonsForPres » 03 Dec 2004, 14:48

Hey Tiff, that sounds like something the Sports Gal would notice. But yes, I have seen that.

Does anyone have an Insider account? I have nothing to do today and I'm in the mood to read his 2003 Super Bowl blog. I just need to use it for two hours or so.
SimmonsForPres
PrettyWhorey

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell