Klosterman's Kolumn

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: Klosterman's Kolumn

Postby the cheese » 05 Nov 2008, 14:09

Colonel Angus wrote:
Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:Not a column, but has anyone else read Downtown Owl?

I just finished it. Klosterman continues to surprise me with his range. I was worried when IV had a fiction section, but I think it was my favorite part of the book. This one is more of the same. Those that have lived in small (tiny) towns are probably most likely to love it, but I never have and I really appreciated what it did just the same.

Not a super fan of the ending, but it works in one way or another. Kinda seems like he didn't know how to finish what he'd started, but who knows - that might have been his plan all along.

I think people around here consider me the big Klosterman fan, but I haven't read it yet. Fiction just doesn't interest me that much. I am sure I will read it eventually, but I have a long list of books I am currently trying to make my way through so Downtown Owl hasn't hit my radar yet. I read a couple of excerpts and it looked OK...

Strange unrelated Klosterman story: This summer I took Killing Yourself to Live on a plane for a light read because I hadn't read it since it was published in hardcover. As I read the part where he went to Nashville to hang out with his "foxy" (I think that's the word he used) lawyer, it began to occur to me that she sounded like someone I know. I kept reading and it became more and more clear to me, plus I remembered that the girl I know is originally from Klosterman's home state of North Dakota. So I flipped to the back to the acknowledgments section, and sure enough, the Nashville attorney I know was listed. When I got back in town I sent her an e-mail and she told me that he is a good friend of hers. Weird, small world.

So...is she foxy?
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Colonel Angus » 05 Nov 2008, 14:13

the cheese wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

I just finished it. Klosterman continues to surprise me with his range. I was worried when IV had a fiction section, but I think it was my favorite part of the book. This one is more of the same. Those that have lived in small (tiny) towns are probably most likely to love it, but I never have and I really appreciated what it did just the same.

Not a super fan of the ending, but it works in one way or another. Kinda seems like he didn't know how to finish what he'd started, but who knows - that might have been his plan all along.

I think people around here consider me the big Klosterman fan, but I haven't read it yet. Fiction just doesn't interest me that much. I am sure I will read it eventually, but I have a long list of books I am currently trying to make my way through so Downtown Owl hasn't hit my radar yet. I read a couple of excerpts and it looked OK...

Strange unrelated Klosterman story: This summer I took Killing Yourself to Live on a plane for a light read because I hadn't read it since it was published in hardcover. As I read the part where he went to Nashville to hang out with his "foxy" (I think that's the word he used) lawyer, it began to occur to me that she sounded like someone I know. I kept reading and it became more and more clear to me, plus I remembered that the girl I know is originally from Klosterman's home state of North Dakota. So I flipped to the back to the acknowledgments section, and sure enough, the Nashville attorney I know was listed. When I got back in town I sent her an e-mail and she told me that he is a good friend of hers. Weird, small world.

So...is she foxy?

I could see it. Especially in North Dakota.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Brick Tamland » 05 Nov 2008, 17:00

Colonel Angus wrote:
the cheese wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

So...is she foxy?

I could see it. Especially in North Dakota.

A Boston 8?
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby Gregs Kite » 05 Nov 2008, 20:03

"haha"
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby IhateTomBrady » 19 Nov 2008, 23:16

_ to Dick Hertz: You wrote your own death when you signed the cheque off on that McMansion that is most definitely underwater at this point but too proud to tell anyone here... You don't know jack shit about the blue collar life you yuppie faggot.
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Colonel Angus » 20 Nov 2008, 06:29

IhateTomBrady wrote:Chuck reviews"Chinese Democracy":
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/c ... an_reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cool, thanks for posting that. I never would have seen it otherwise. Is he a regular over there now?
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby IhateTomBrady » 20 Nov 2008, 13:22

Colonel Angus wrote:
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/c ... an_reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cool, thanks for posting that. I never would have seen it otherwise. Is he a regular over there now?

No, he isn't a regualr writer over there. I do visit that site alot as do some other SOTSG peoples The Malcolm Gladwell interview they did this week is really good to.
_ to Dick Hertz: You wrote your own death when you signed the cheque off on that McMansion that is most definitely underwater at this point but too proud to tell anyone here... You don't know jack shit about the blue collar life you yuppie faggot.
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Colonel Angus » 20 Nov 2008, 13:28

IhateTomBrady wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/c ... an_reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No, he isn't a regualr writer over there. I do visit that site alot as do some other SOTSG peoples The Malcolm Gladwell interview they did this week is really good to.

When I opened the Klosterman link at home this morning, it had a shitload of comments under it. Opening it here at work, I get an internal server error where the comments should be although the link on the front page claims there are over 600 comments. Can anyone else see the comments right now?
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby IhateTomBrady » 20 Nov 2008, 13:32

There are currently 673 comments on that article. Alot of people with too much free time I guess.
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Colonel Angus » 20 Nov 2008, 13:41

IhateTomBrady wrote:There are currently 673 comments on that article. Alot of people with too much free time I guess.

Can you read them? Is it just me who can't?
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby IhateTomBrady » 20 Nov 2008, 13:43

I can read them on my iphone. My work blocks the comments from that site due to profanity. It sounds like the same thing for you.
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Colonel Angus » 20 Nov 2008, 13:45

IhateTomBrady wrote:I can read them on my iphone. My work blocks the comments from that site due to profanity. It sounds like the same thing for you.

Ah, so.

ETA: Indeed, I am now home and the comments show up fine.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby chrisco » 16 Jun 2012, 09:30

Klosterman is the new Ethicist for the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/magaz ... &src=rechp

This is a beloved feature in the Sunday magazine. I had never heard about it until a few weeks ago when Chuck assumed the mantle.

Anyway is you are wondering why there are fewer Van Halen reviews on Grantland, its because he is tackling important WPP like this:

CAT BURGLAR

Our 12-year-old cat, who has been sick with a tumor for a month, was catnapped by our neighbor, who took our cat to his veterinarian to have the tumor removed. We opted against surgery when our vet told us the cat’s heart was weak and that he would most likely not survive surgery. We were caring for him as best we could. Can my neighbor’s conduct be justified? NAME WITHHELD
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Colonel Angus » 16 Aug 2012, 12:59

Relatively recent (8/9/12) BS Report I just discovered, in which Chuck interviews Kirk Herbstreit about college football:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8252177
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby kaskomm09 » 16 Aug 2012, 14:38

Colonel Angus wrote:Relatively recent (8/9/12) BS Report I just discovered, in which Chuck interviews Kirk Herbstreit about college football:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8252177

+uno. I was a big fan of that podcast.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

PreviousNext

Return to Even More Cowbell