Klosterman's Kolumn

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Klosterman's Kolumn

Postby nova » 08 Nov 2005, 12:43

Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Theny » 08 Nov 2005, 12:44

Good God is Page 2 going down the tubes.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Colonel Angus » 08 Nov 2005, 12:45

Be still my heart - Klosterman's writing for Page 2 now? Excellent.

ETA: The unfortunate side effect of this will be TSG claiming for the rest of his life that he "discovered" Klosterman.
Last edited by Colonel Angus on 08 Nov 2005, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Dunking Donut » 08 Nov 2005, 12:46

I couldn't even finish this 'abortion'.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby mmutoni » 08 Nov 2005, 12:48

You guys must be thrilled!

seriously though, Klosterman is an excellent writer and will add greatly to Page 2. Hopefully this will lead to the extinction of Bayless.
mmutoni
Etiquette Instructor

Postby friskysman » 08 Nov 2005, 12:49

I read about 2 sentences and could go no further. I don't care for this guy when he is yucking it up with Simmons, so what makes Page 2 think I give a shit about him on his own?
friskysman
Another dude worth meeting

Postby nova » 08 Nov 2005, 12:50

This is a top notch column. Compared to other ESPN writers who dropped their manifestos (Jackson, Wojosufhaldsflshfshfdsf, Simmons) this one easily is the best of the bunch.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby JohnnyDamon » 08 Nov 2005, 13:05

Chuck Klosterman wrote:BRETT FAVRE JUST LIKES TO PLAY THE GAME. BRETT FAVRE JUST WANTS TO GO OUT THERE AND THROW THE OLD PIGSKIN AROUND THE OLD BACKYARD. AND YOU KNOW, SOMETIMES BRETT FAVRE HURTS YOU, BECAUSE BRETT FAVRE TAKES A LOT OF RISKS. HE'S A RIVERBOAT GAMBLER! BUT YOU CAN NEVER FAULT BRETT FAVRE, BECAUSE BRETT FAVRE LOVES TO PLAY THE GAME. BRETT FAVRE WOULD PLAY FOR FREE. IN FACT, IF THERE WERE NO OTHER OPTION, BRETT FAVRE WOULD TAKE OUT A SMALL BUSINESS LOAN FROM A LOCALLY OWNED BANKING INSTITUTION AND PAY THE NFL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO THROW THE FOOTBALL TO THE LIKES OF DONALD DRIVER, BECAUSE BRETT FAVRE EMBODIES A DYING MYTHOLOGY WHICH SUGGESTS THAT THE ICONS OF A SOCIETY CAN REPRESENT (AND AT TIMES TRANSCEND) THE HIGHEST VALUES OF THAT SOCIETY IN A WHOLLY ALTRUISTIC CONTEXT. DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT BRETT FAVRE LOVES TO PLAY THE GAME? WELL, HE VERY MUCH DOES.

That fucking cracked me up...that was hilarious...
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby mmutoni » 08 Nov 2005, 13:17

As much as I love Klosterman's writing, I have my doubts as to how well he can come across as a sports writer.

His forte is clearly pop culture (especially music and movies).
ESPN obviously hired him as much for his talent as his readership.
I really hope this works out well for him though.
mmutoni
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Colonel Angus » 08 Nov 2005, 13:42

mmutoni wrote:As much as I love Klosterman's writing, I have my doubts as to how well he can come across as a sports writer.

His forte is clearly pop culture (especially music and movies).
ESPN obviously hired him as much for his talent as his readership.
I really hope this works out well for him though.

Not sure if you've read much of his work, mmutoni, but Klosterman has written quite a bit on sports and actually knows his stuff, particularly basketball.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby mmutoni » 08 Nov 2005, 14:53

Colonel Angus wrote:
Not sure if you've read much of his work, mmutoni, but Klosterman has written quite a bit on sports and actually knows his stuff, particularly basketball.

I usually read his Spin and Esquire columns and I'm waiting for one of his books to arrive from the library.
He always throws in bball references, so, yeah, he does seem to know the game. It'll be interesting to get his sarcastic take on things.
mmutoni
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Colonel Angus » 08 Nov 2005, 14:58

mmutoni wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

I usually read his Spin and Esquire columns and I'm waiting for one of his books to arrive from the library.
He always throws in bball references, so, yeah, he does seem to know the game. It'll be interesting to get his sarcastic take on things.

At least one of his Esquire columns within the last year was solely about the NBA.

And there are lots of sports references thrown into all of his books, most frequently basketball references from the 1980's.

I would say Klosterman is virtually TSG's exact opposite when it comes to the sports/pop culture ratio. Whereas Simmons is mostly sports with a good dose of music/movies/TV thrown in, Klosterman is mostly music with a good dose of sports/movies/TV/etc. thrown in.

The major difference is that while Simmons is pretty much lost on some topics (i.e., music,) Klosterman writes pretty well and knowledgably about just about everything.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby nova » 08 Nov 2005, 15:06

Colonel Angus wrote:The major difference is that while Simmons is pretty much lost on some topics (i.e., music,) Klosterman writes pretty well and knowledgably about just about everything.

Today's Clipse reference caught me off guard. They had a few hits, but they have pretty much been out of the picture since 2003. I think a more appropriate reference would have been Young Jeezy or Juelz Santana.

But props to Klostermann for referencing the VA rappers that have since disappeared.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby jack_daniels » 08 Nov 2005, 15:08

Klosterman is no music guru. There are 50 million music blogs out there with much better opinions on music than Klosterman. Pitchfork for example.
Last edited by jack_daniels on 08 Nov 2005, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Theny » 08 Nov 2005, 15:10

jack_daniels wrote:Klosterman is no mucis guru.

I thought Magnum was the resident mucus guru. 8)
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell