DeadSpin

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

DeadSpin

Postby RobertoDuranDuran » 07 Oct 2005, 10:47

Seems to me as though Deadspin.com and Simmons are in each other's pockets. It's a little nauseating to read.

Further more, the dude that is over there constantly refers to Simmons as OUR BOY SIMMONS, and rants and raves over every article. He got his book signed, and nearly had a wet dream describing how cool Bill Simmons was.

I understand how their mutual praise can benefit both in the long run, but it's a little annoying to see DeadSpin knock everything in the sports media but Simmons. Instead of commenting on "the show" each day found on espn's sportsnation, let's do a critique of all the Sports Guy Cartoons.

Finally, for my retractors---Don't cite Whatifsports.com as another example. It's a different situation altogether. Simmons was a player on the site long before he was anything what he is now. Their mutual respects for each other is just that--respect...not some shady boiler room friendship to look out for each other that began at a lame book signing.
RobertoDuranDuran
Wiffle Ball King

Postby Theny » 07 Oct 2005, 12:07

Shanoff pimps the hell out of Deadspin too. You'd think they would tear him a new one. Maybe it's an ESPN thing.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Colonel Angus » 07 Oct 2005, 12:29

Will Leitch writes for Deadspin, and he has certainly been critical of TSG in the past.

[Edited to correct a typo]
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby JumptheShark » 07 Oct 2005, 13:26

Colonel Angus wrote:Will Leitch writes for Deadspin, and he has certainly been critical of TSG in the past.

[Edited to correct a typo]

Yeah, bit not now...not since he's entered "sports journalism" - hmmmm
JumptheShark
Yankee

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 02 Jul 2007, 11:43

Wiping the dust off this thread....

I hate Deadspin's new look. There isn't one thing about it that is better. I don't want to have to click "more" to read the last paragraph of a blog entry. I liked reading Deadspin because it is updated throughout the day and is easy. I didn't know I was so lazy that clicking on one link would ruin one of my favorite sites, but I guess that is so.

Why change the look? I just don't get it.
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Postby someguysomewhere » 02 Jul 2007, 11:49

Freddy Fernandez wrote:Wiping the dust off this thread....

I hate Deadspin's new look. There isn't one thing about it that is better. I don't want to have to click "more" to read the last paragraph of a blog entry. I liked reading Deadspin because it is updated throughout the day and is easy. I didn't know I was so lazy that clicking on one link would ruin one of my favorite sites, but I guess that is so.

I'd figure getting you to click on that one more link generates more advertising revenue.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Colonel Angus » 02 Jul 2007, 12:34

someguysomewhere wrote:

I'd figure getting you to click on that one more link generates more advertising revenue.

Good point, sgsw - I hadn't thought of that.

I am also not a fan of the new look for Deadspin, but I chalk it up to my curmudgeonly fear of change. Re-vamped websites seem to be an epidemic for me lately, between Deadspin, Cnn.com, and my local newspaper's website. Of the three, I actually like the new look for my local paper and hate the other two.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Laettner Stomp » 03 Jul 2007, 14:35

Colonel Angus wrote:
someguysomewhere wrote:

Good point, sgsw - I hadn't thought of that.

I am also not a fan of the new look for Deadspin, but I chalk it up to my curmudgeonly fear of change. Re-vamped websites seem to be an epidemic for me lately, between Deadspin, Cnn.com, and my local newspaper's website. Of the three, I actually like the new look for my local paper and hate the other two.

new deadspin design is awful. Leitch (Gawker) claims to be working on it. When you hit the more link it also exposes you to the hilarious Deadspin commenters.

I kind of like the new CNN.
Laettner Stomp
n00b

Postby Briandong79 » 17 Sep 2007, 15:18

The MJD Smorgasbord over at Deadspin has become a weekly read for me. Good stuff. The Chris Henry story from this week is great.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Colonel Angus » 17 Sep 2007, 15:23

Briandean79 wrote:The MJD Smorgasbord over at Deadspin has become a weekly read for me. Good stuff. The Chris Henry story from this week is great.

Just got finished reading that and I agree. So far that feature has been great.

ETA: This is my favorite line:

if you could take a peek inside my brother's mind on this Sunday afternoon, you'd see something that Larry Flynt would see and say, "No, I think that just goes too far."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby SouthernYokel » 25 Sep 2007, 12:51

missed the MJD yesterday, just now reading it:

Donovan McNabb, in an effort to smooth things over with white people, goes deep to Kevin Curtis for about a 70-yard TD strike. The Eagles lead 21-7.

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/norv-bab ... 302940.php

in case people don't know where to go on deadspin because of their newfangled site design.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Brick Tamland » 25 Sep 2007, 14:27

SouthernYokel wrote:missed the MJD yesterday, just now reading it:

Donovan McNabb, in an effort to smooth things over with white people, goes deep to Kevin Curtis for about a 70-yard TD strike. The Eagles lead 21-7.

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/norv-bab ... 302940.php

in case people don't know where to go on deadspin because of their newfangled site design.

Wow, is this a great blog! Loved this part:

The Patriots are wearing their shiny silver jerseys today, which I think is a good choice. Silver, as opposed to white, makes it much easier to hide the surveillance equipment. While the league's investigating this, I'd like them to go back and check Tedy Bruschi's surgical records and make sure that the hole in his heart was actually repaired, and not just filled with a Sony Handycam.

I look forward to Simmons bashing MJD in another whiny-assed tirade next week.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby Theny » 25 Sep 2007, 14:28

Agreed, I've never really read that blog until today. Funny stuff in there.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby MoreCowbell » 25 Sep 2007, 14:31

Brick Tamland wrote:
Wow, is this a great blog! Loved this part:

The Patriots are wearing their shiny silver jerseys today, which I think is a good choice. Silver, as opposed to white, makes it much easier to hide the surveillance equipment. While the league's investigating this, I'd like them to go back and check Tedy Bruschi's surgical records and make sure that the hole in his heart was actually repaired, and not just filled with a Sony Handycam.

I look forward to Simmons bashing MJD in another whiny-assed tirade next week.

Speaking of what the Patriots were wearing, did anybody notice Belichick at the Bills game was not wearing his typical ripped sweatshirt, he was actually wearing a respectable looking polo shirt? With all the overblown media coverage of him and this team, I was shocked this wasn't mentioned somewhere.
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby Theny » 25 Sep 2007, 14:38

MoreCowbell wrote:Speaking of what the Patriots were wearing, did anybody notice Belichick at the Bills game was not wearing his typical ripped sweatshirt, he was actually wearing a respectable looking polo shirt? With all the overblown media coverage of him and this team, I was shocked this wasn't mentioned somewhere.

That reminds me, I'm pretty sure I heard someone say during that whole thing that Belicheck does that ripped hoodie thing just to tweak the NFL. I don't get it...
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell