DeadSpin

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

DeadSpin

Postby RobertoDuranDuran » 07 Oct 2005, 10:47

Seems to me as though Deadspin.com and Simmons are in each other's pockets. It's a little nauseating to read.

Further more, the dude that is over there constantly refers to Simmons as OUR BOY SIMMONS, and rants and raves over every article. He got his book signed, and nearly had a wet dream describing how cool Bill Simmons was.

I understand how their mutual praise can benefit both in the long run, but it's a little annoying to see DeadSpin knock everything in the sports media but Simmons. Instead of commenting on "the show" each day found on espn's sportsnation, let's do a critique of all the Sports Guy Cartoons.

Finally, for my retractors---Don't cite Whatifsports.com as another example. It's a different situation altogether. Simmons was a player on the site long before he was anything what he is now. Their mutual respects for each other is just that--respect...not some shady boiler room friendship to look out for each other that began at a lame book signing.
RobertoDuranDuran
Wiffle Ball King
 
Posts: 77
Joined: 07 Jun 2005, 10:45

Postby Theny » 07 Oct 2005, 12:07

Shanoff pimps the hell out of Deadspin too. You'd think they would tear him a new one. Maybe it's an ESPN thing.
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 29921
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Postby Colonel Angus » 07 Oct 2005, 12:29

Will Leitch writes for Deadspin, and he has certainly been critical of TSG in the past.

[Edited to correct a typo]
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Postby JumptheShark » 07 Oct 2005, 13:26

Colonel Angus wrote:Will Leitch writes for Deadspin, and he has certainly been critical of TSG in the past.

[Edited to correct a typo]


Yeah, bit not now...not since he's entered "sports journalism" - hmmmm
JumptheShark
Yankee
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 15 Aug 2005, 08:12

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 02 Jul 2007, 11:43

Wiping the dust off this thread....


I hate Deadspin's new look. There isn't one thing about it that is better. I don't want to have to click "more" to read the last paragraph of a blog entry. I liked reading Deadspin because it is updated throughout the day and is easy. I didn't know I was so lazy that clicking on one link would ruin one of my favorite sites, but I guess that is so.

Why change the look? I just don't get it.
User avatar
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor
 
Posts: 2525
Joined: 02 May 2005, 15:20
Location: West Sacramento

Postby someguysomewhere » 02 Jul 2007, 11:49

Freddy Fernandez wrote:Wiping the dust off this thread....


I hate Deadspin's new look. There isn't one thing about it that is better. I don't want to have to click "more" to read the last paragraph of a blog entry. I liked reading Deadspin because it is updated throughout the day and is easy. I didn't know I was so lazy that clicking on one link would ruin one of my favorite sites, but I guess that is so.

Why change the look? I just don't get it.


I'd figure getting you to click on that one more link generates more advertising revenue.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
User avatar
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot
 
Posts: 10404
Joined: 19 May 2006, 12:04
Location: The foul line, looking terrified.

Postby Colonel Angus » 02 Jul 2007, 12:34

someguysomewhere wrote:
Freddy Fernandez wrote:Wiping the dust off this thread....


I hate Deadspin's new look. There isn't one thing about it that is better. I don't want to have to click "more" to read the last paragraph of a blog entry. I liked reading Deadspin because it is updated throughout the day and is easy. I didn't know I was so lazy that clicking on one link would ruin one of my favorite sites, but I guess that is so.

Why change the look? I just don't get it.


I'd figure getting you to click on that one more link generates more advertising revenue.


Good point, sgsw - I hadn't thought of that.

I am also not a fan of the new look for Deadspin, but I chalk it up to my curmudgeonly fear of change. Re-vamped websites seem to be an epidemic for me lately, between Deadspin, Cnn.com, and my local newspaper's website. Of the three, I actually like the new look for my local paper and hate the other two.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Postby Laettner Stomp » 03 Jul 2007, 14:35

Colonel Angus wrote:
someguysomewhere wrote:
Freddy Fernandez wrote:Wiping the dust off this thread....


I hate Deadspin's new look. There isn't one thing about it that is better. I don't want to have to click "more" to read the last paragraph of a blog entry. I liked reading Deadspin because it is updated throughout the day and is easy. I didn't know I was so lazy that clicking on one link would ruin one of my favorite sites, but I guess that is so.

Why change the look? I just don't get it.


I'd figure getting you to click on that one more link generates more advertising revenue.


Good point, sgsw - I hadn't thought of that.

I am also not a fan of the new look for Deadspin, but I chalk it up to my curmudgeonly fear of change. Re-vamped websites seem to be an epidemic for me lately, between Deadspin, Cnn.com, and my local newspaper's website. Of the three, I actually like the new look for my local paper and hate the other two.


new deadspin design is awful. Leitch (Gawker) claims to be working on it. When you hit the more link it also exposes you to the hilarious Deadspin commenters.

I kind of like the new CNN.
User avatar
Laettner Stomp
n00b
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 19 Jul 2006, 16:40
Location: The Spectrum

Postby Briandong79 » 17 Sep 2007, 15:18

The MJD Smorgasbord over at Deadspin has become a weekly read for me. Good stuff. The Chris Henry story from this week is great.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 29385
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Postby Colonel Angus » 17 Sep 2007, 15:23

Briandean79 wrote:The MJD Smorgasbord over at Deadspin has become a weekly read for me. Good stuff. The Chris Henry story from this week is great.


Just got finished reading that and I agree. So far that feature has been great.

ETA: This is my favorite line:

if you could take a peek inside my brother's mind on this Sunday afternoon, you'd see something that Larry Flynt would see and say, "No, I think that just goes too far."
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Postby SouthernYokel » 25 Sep 2007, 12:51

missed the MJD yesterday, just now reading it:

Donovan McNabb, in an effort to smooth things over with white people, goes deep to Kevin Curtis for about a 70-yard TD strike. The Eagles lead 21-7.


http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/norv-bab ... 302940.php

in case people don't know where to go on deadspin because of their newfangled site design.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 28283
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Postby Brick Tamland » 25 Sep 2007, 14:27

SouthernYokel wrote:missed the MJD yesterday, just now reading it:

Donovan McNabb, in an effort to smooth things over with white people, goes deep to Kevin Curtis for about a 70-yard TD strike. The Eagles lead 21-7.


http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/norv-bab ... 302940.php

in case people don't know where to go on deadspin because of their newfangled site design.


Wow, is this a great blog! Loved this part:

The Patriots are wearing their shiny silver jerseys today, which I think is a good choice. Silver, as opposed to white, makes it much easier to hide the surveillance equipment. While the league's investigating this, I'd like them to go back and check Tedy Bruschi's surgical records and make sure that the hole in his heart was actually repaired, and not just filled with a Sony Handycam.


I look forward to Simmons bashing MJD in another whiny-assed tirade next week.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
User avatar
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5435
Joined: 25 Jul 2006, 12:39
Location: In an alley, killing a guy with a trident

Postby Theny » 25 Sep 2007, 14:28

Agreed, I've never really read that blog until today. Funny stuff in there.
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 29921
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Postby MoreCowbell » 25 Sep 2007, 14:31

Brick Tamland wrote:
Wow, is this a great blog! Loved this part:

The Patriots are wearing their shiny silver jerseys today, which I think is a good choice. Silver, as opposed to white, makes it much easier to hide the surveillance equipment. While the league's investigating this, I'd like them to go back and check Tedy Bruschi's surgical records and make sure that the hole in his heart was actually repaired, and not just filled with a Sony Handycam.


I look forward to Simmons bashing MJD in another whiny-assed tirade next week.


Speaking of what the Patriots were wearing, did anybody notice Belichick at the Bills game was not wearing his typical ripped sweatshirt, he was actually wearing a respectable looking polo shirt? With all the overblown media coverage of him and this team, I was shocked this wasn't mentioned somewhere.
User avatar
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 09:01

Postby Theny » 25 Sep 2007, 14:38

MoreCowbell wrote:Speaking of what the Patriots were wearing, did anybody notice Belichick at the Bills game was not wearing his typical ripped sweatshirt, he was actually wearing a respectable looking polo shirt? With all the overblown media coverage of him and this team, I was shocked this wasn't mentioned somewhere.


That reminds me, I'm pretty sure I heard someone say during that whole thing that Belicheck does that ripped hoodie thing just to tweak the NFL. I don't get it...
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 29921
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron