LDOtL Presents: The Gregg Easterbrook Thread

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: LDOtL Presents: The Gregg Easterbrook Thread

Postby Dthefritz » 24 Dec 2014, 12:51

SouthernYokel wrote:black widow is just a spy, no special powers or alien possessions.

also, greggg, mysteriously silent on cam this week.

Cam must not be on the QB beefcake of the month calendar for December.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby TVF wannabe » 24 Dec 2014, 13:00

Dthefritz wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:black widow is just a spy, no special powers or alien possessions.

Apropos of nothing, Just found out my kids love Cam. Who knew?
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dthefritz » 24 Dec 2014, 13:04

TVF wannabe wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Haven't you taught your kids ANYTHING about grit, leadership and intangibles? You're only as good as your glory boy-iest kid.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 30 Dec 2014, 13:13

Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Haven't you taught your kids ANYTHING about grit, leadership and intangibles? You're only as good as your LEAST glory boy-iest kid.

fixed!

Lovie Smith was fired by the Bears at the end of 2012, when Chicago had just gone 10-6; as he was shown the door, Smith had an 84-66 record in Chicago. But the NFL's goofy playoff format gave two 10-6 teams home postseason games while telling the Bears to shut it down.

Yes, 2012 is a prime example of the GOOFY NFL playoff format. 10-6 Chicago stayed at home while 10-6 Minnesota got the last wild card spot thanks to a better division record than Chicago. Meanwhile in the AFC... oh, the worst record for playoff team there was 10-6 as well.... so of the 12 playoff teams in 2012, all had either better records or identical 10-6 records and a tie breaker (based on better record against the same opponents) gave Minnesota the edge over Chicago. SOOOOOOOOOO GOOFY! But hey, Gregggggggggg has his narrative and everything will fit it one way or another! #rapeculture

Smith was scapegoated for the goofy format that was beyond his control, and given cab fare.

Not goofy! And his 6 losses were to playoff teams while an opening week win over rookie Andrew Luck and a home win over Minnesota were their only wins against playoff teams so in GREGGGGGGGGG'S gay little AUTHENTIC wins METRIC they were 2-6 and didn't deserve a playoff spot, which is of course:

Dave Wannstedt was 43-33 with the Dolphins when he resigned under management pressure in 2004. Miami has not had a winning-record coach since. Wade Phillips was fired at Buffalo after reaching the playoffs two of his three seasons. Since firing Phillips, the Bills have not made a playoff appearance -- a league-worst 15-year drought -- nor had a winning-record head coach.

If history has shown anything, it's that keeping Dave Wannstedt and Wade Phillips would have been smart moves for Miami and Buffalo :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

John Fox was let go by Carolina in 2010 despite a Super Bowl appearance and a 5-3 postseason record; the Panthers have not won a playoff game since.

Somehow Cam Newton's fault I'm sure

Over the coming weeks, smiling, optimistic men will be named NFL head coaches, though knowing their tenures may be short and acrimonious -- just as Harbaugh takes the Michigan job knowing its two most recent office-holders were run out of town on a rail. Don't feel sorry for the newbies. NFL and big-college coaches are very well paid for the ritual humiliations they undergo.

BUT IF A COLLEGE COACH DARES LEAVE FOR ANOTHER JOB HE'S A FUCKING WEASEL BITCH DEVIL

With eight four-team divisions each assured a home playoff game, every NFL owner goes into the season knowing his or her team has a 25 percent chance of hosting a postseason party, no matter how poorly the team may perform.

Perfectly accurate HOT TAKE which is why I can't wait to go to the Redskins' home game this weekend

Stats Of The Week No. 9: Green Bay opens the playoffs at home, where the Packers have played four straight games without punting in the first half. Aaron Rodgers has not thrown an interception at Lambeau Field in more than two years.

ESPN Grade's Favorite Bowl Game: The New Era Pinstripe Bowl -- there was no old-era Pinstripe Bowl, New Era is a cap company -- was as good as football gets.

Nothing says great football like a missed XP in OT determining the game.

Marcus Mariota will be tempting, but his style of play is so similar to that of Colin Kaepernick that the worry would be a Kaepernick-style flameout.

...........Kaepernick's and Mariota's are "so similar"

Mariota comp % 66.6, 101 TDs, 12 INTs, 2,136 rushing yards, 28 rushing TDs (3 seasons)
Kaepernick comp % 58.2, 82 TDs, 24 INTs, 4,112 rushing yards, 59 rushing TDs (4 seasons)

But hey, they're both blackish-tanish guys who played on the west coast... SO SIMILAR

The Cowboys kept Tony Romo and DeMarco Murray on the field through the fourth quarter against hapless Washington. Both were chasing records, and since the NFL is a form of entertainment, this was entertaining to Boys fans. But a playoff victory would be a lot more entertaining than a star getting injured in a meaningless second half. (Dallas' slim hope of a top seed depended on other games, not the Cowboys-R*dsk*ns outcome.) Bill Belichick, eyes on the prize, fielded his junior varsity to start the second half.

The Cowboys certainly kept their players in longer than I expected but still, they had to WIN AND HAVE OTHER LOSSES, their hopes depended on other games AND their game, plus had a shot at a 1st rd bye with WIN AND TIE!, Erhmagerrrrrd so fucking complex. The Patriots were locked into home field throughout the playoffs regardless of anything that would happen.

The Football Gods Chortled, Indeed: Indianapolis at Tennessee scoreless, the Colts had first-and-goal on the Flaming Thumbtacks' 7. Coby Fleener lined up as an inline tight end on the right. As Andrew Luck play-faked, Fleener pretended to block, then paused for a beat, then ran into the left flat uncovered for an easy touchdown. Fleener never blocks -- how could Tennessee fall for a fake block by a guy who never blocks?

Yeah, tight ends never block

Here he is in RED!

AND AGAIN IN YELLOW!

BLOCKING!!!!!!

Ok, two long segments here that I will leave sans comment other than to note that for the tl;dr crowd, this sums up what gregggggggg is doing

The Golden Age of Radio Isn't Over: Reader Will Martin asks, "Many of your insights seem to come from watching the actual games. Where do you get your film and how many hours do you watch?"

One of the founding insights of Tuesday Morning Quarterback was that football coverage spends too much time on stars, owners and coaches, not enough on what actually happens during games. (This may be true of coverage of other sports as well, football is the only sport I follow closely enough to feel sure.) There are 100 words written or spoken about what might happen in any given football game for each one word regarding what did happen.

For a while, I thought this was because the news cycle is based on anticipation: TV and media culture are obsessed with what might occur next. Eventually I became convinced -- and don't take this too hard, writers and broadcasters whose whole lives are tied up in commenting on football -- that some football writers and on-air football personnel don't spend much time watching games. What they spend time on are highlights and news conferences. Both may be interesting, but football outcomes are as much determined by tactics on plays that don't make highlight reels as by the occasional spectacular run or catch. And the structure of big-media sports coverage is that some writers and on-air personnel choose (or are assigned) one particular game to pay attention to per week, ignoring the rest except for highlights.

Thus at the outset, TMQ resolved, first, to write about what actually happens on the field and, second, to watch every game.

I've always kept the first resolve. Until 2011, I kept the second -- I watched at least most of every NFL game, and each column had at least one item about the tactics employed in every game that week. But keeping the second resolve was a ton of work, considering sportswriting is my avocation, not my profession. Beginning with the 2012 season, I stopped promising an item on every game -- though I've continued to produce items on around three-quarters of NFL contests, plus many college games.

So Will Martin asks -- how do I do it? Especially considering I am known for railing against the unavailability of NFL Sunday Ticket in my neighborhood.

Will, the answer is: Trade secret. There are two trade secrets supporting Tuesday Morning Quarterback: How to contact the football gods, and how to understand what happens on the field in most games and still have time to live a regular life. I've figured out both secrets. If I gave either away, I'd only be creating competition for myself.

But I will give a tip about part of how I do it because it's a tip many football enthusiasts could benefit from: every Sunday I devote at least two hours to listening to games on the radio.

In our video-focused culture, the value of radio may be overlooked. Assuming pictures are all that matter, many TV broadcasters don't even try to describe what they are seeing: which in turn means they don't have to pay close attention. Or they spend too much time on trivia such as recounting their dinner with some celebrity the night before. This leads to a key bit of TMQ advice: try watching a football game with the sound turned off. Undistracted by patter, sound effects and anecdotes about Jay-Z or Katherine Heigl, you'll find your senses instantly take in more of what's actually happening on the field.

Now about radio. An old-fashioned radio announcer who can paint a picture with his or her voice can tell you more about a game than watching six camera angles in slow motion. Plus the hometown announcer often is steeped in what's going on behind the scenes for that team. So for instance during Sunday's Pittsburgh-Cincinnati game, listening to the Pittsburgh hometown call would clue you in on the Steelers; listening to the Cincinnati hometown call, on the Bengals.

Ok, slight lie and note: "In our video-focused culture, the value of radio may be overlooked. " THIS FROM MR. ALL-22 FILM DON'T FOLLOW THE BALL ANNOUNCERS ONLY CARE ABOUT THE BALL EJA#@)%U@#(%THW$QITG

Paper of Record Catches Up With TMQ: Tuesday Morning Quarterback has pointed out several times, including in October, that supposed conservative Chris Christie "is drawing his New Jersey salary, spending New Jersey taxpayers' money on travel and bodyguards while shirking his New Jersey duties -- such as trying to fix the budget mess he created."

Many readers including Dorothy Hutchinson of Mahwah, New Jersey, noted this concern just landed on the front page of the New York Times. The paper reports that over the last year Christie -- Governor Abutment to this column -- "spent 152 days, or 42 percent of his time, outside New Jersey." While wagging his finger at others regarding public spending, Christie methodically wastes taxpayers' money to promote himself. Governor Abutment seems the very embodiment of the high-tech political phony.

Wherever you go, Gregggggggggggg was there first
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby SouthernYokel » 30 Dec 2014, 14:15

i read "R*dsk*ns" as "dickskin." you spoiler out 2 vowels and my rods and cones are all screwed up
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Dthefritz » 30 Dec 2014, 19:09

Easterbrook really hit the nail on the head with Christie. It's okay to find a sketchy legal justification to repurpose public funds outside your jurisdiction because your political ambitions prevent you from raising taxes, and generally act like a corrupt bullying fuckhead, but you do not hire bodyguards on the taxpayer dime. You go out there and drape an AR-15 over your shoulder like Kaepernick drapes a towel over his dong in the locker room *SWOON*.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 08 Jan 2015, 13:42

Seattle enters the divisional round on a 24-2 home stretch, while at 8-8-1, visiting Carolina is not even a winning team. If the Seahawks don't prevail, it will be the biggest upset since Appalachian State over Michigan.

False :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Green Bay. An Ice Bowl rematch, plus Dallas brings an 8-0 road record to meet the Packers' 8-0 home record. This game feels like it could be memorable.

the HOTTEST of fucking TAEKS

Denver. If there's to be a visitor victory in the divisional round, the Broncos seem most vulnerable. Denver has sputtered in the second half of the season, while falling in TMQ's Authentic Games metric -- see below.

ImageImage

So you'd assume Marrone waved goodbye simply for a double-dip payday. More likely he knows he mismanaged the Bills and wants somebody else to deal with the problems he created.

In just two years at the helm, Marrone spent three first-round draft selections -- Buffalo's 2015 first choice is promised to Cleveland -- running up a debt for someone else to cover, like a politician who borrows without any plan to repay. For the price of three first-round draft choices, plus a fourth-round pick, Marrone got just two players, EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins. Manuel doesn't start. Watkins is a fine performer, but the Bills paid way too much for him. Several quality wide receivers were available in the 2014 draft: Buffalo panicked and overspent on Watkins though standing pat would have allowed Odell Beckham Jr. to drop into the Bills' laps. Most important, the NFL is a quarterback league. Marrone left the Bills with no quarterback nor any 2015 first-round choice to employ in search of one. Marrone went along with panicky personnel decisions, failed to develop a player at the league's most important position, stripped the franchise of future draft picks then whistled a merry tune as he skedaddled with a multimillion-dollar bonus. Nice work if you can get it.

Did Marrone have anything to do with the drafting/trading of draft picks? I swear I read this week or last that he was against the Sammy Watkins trade/draft. Plus, since Greggggggggg is so adamant, I'm even more convinced

When my wife and I lived in Belgium, which is about 400 miles north of Maine, we became aware of seasonal light differences. In December, I'd put the kids on their school bus in darkness; it would return in darkness. In June, night would not fall until around 11p.m., then the bedroom window would start to glow around 4 a.m. Pronounced differences in solar timing made me understand why seasonal cycles played such a role in European mythology.

Authentic Games Standings: Carolina may have reached the divisional round but still isn't included. How can an NFL team that does not have a winning record in January be considered Authentic?

Detroit looked suspect all season in the Authentic Games standings, and confirmed this impression by honking out in the first round while posting the worst Authentic ranking of postseason contenders.

Today's column lead notwithstanding, the Authentic Games index warns of an Indianapolis upset at Denver.

Clarity seems achieved as the metric now forecasts a Super Bowl of New England versus Seattle, which is also TMQ's own guess.

"yeeeeessssssssss, as I can see after the games have happened, these teams aren't as good as the teams that won, quite, hmmmmmmmmmm, yessssssssss, and I predict this except when I don't"
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Colonel Angus » 08 Jan 2015, 19:46

"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby JichaelDick » 21 Jan 2015, 14:06

When it rains, baseball players trot to the clubhouse. Basketball is staged indoors. Volleyball, indoors or on sun-drenched beaches. Soccer, a summer sport, usually doesn't play in winter. Ice hockey is almost always in an enclosed arena.

Stop right there...every single international soccer league plays games in the winter. Just because the MLS has a weird schedule doesn't mean it's that way worldwide.

I'll let LDOTL go from here, but good God this bugged me for some reason.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 22 Jan 2015, 10:13

JichaelDick wrote:
When it rains, baseball players trot to the clubhouse. Basketball is staged indoors. Volleyball, indoors or on sun-drenched beaches. Soccer, a summer sport, usually doesn't play in winter. Ice hockey is almost always in an enclosed arena.

Stop right there...every single international soccer league plays games in the winter. Just because the MLS has a weird schedule doesn't mean it's that way worldwide.

I'll let LDOTL go from here, but good God this bugged me for some reason.

Jesus, that's the opening line.... so not cool.

Baseball is a sport that relies on players throwing a ball with pinpoint accuracy ruined by the inability to grip a wet ball or plant/land on solid ground.

basketball...

Volleyball, who gives a fuck

Soccer, jesus this asshole is going to make me defend soccer

And a) hockey's been making a big deal about their outdoor games; b) the game involves skating on smooth ice, something that rain might tend to ruin

In the end, horry kow, different sports are different!

Among the major team sports, football alone is performed in all conditions.

:-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w

In rain and gusting wind at Seattle, the cold-acclimated Packers lost a close one to the rain-acclimated Seahawks, whose natural habitat is drizzle.

I'm sorry, can it be called a drizzle in gusting wind? Either way, what an asinine statement, RUSSELL WILSON IS FROM RICHMOND, VA AND WENT TO NC STATE WHICH ARE WARM-WEATHER, HUMID PLACES! HE ALSO WENT TO SCHOOL IN WISCONSIN WHICH IS WHERE GREEN BAY IS!!! ERRRH MAH GERD HE CAN SURVIVE EVERYTHING

When weather-based luck favored Green Bay in the first half -- helping the Packers to four Seattle turnovers and a 16-0 lead at intermission -- the visitors seemed to grow overconfident and not consider that weather-based luck might go Seattle's way later.

Yeah, that's what happened

The Patriots won so decisively that the weather was irrelevant by the end.

So this earlier claim:

In rain and gusting wind at New England, the dome-based Colts were blown off the field.

was nonsensical since the weather there didn't matter (i.e. irrelevant!) nor was the fact that the Colts play in a dome. Thank you for wasting the reader's time padding the ol' word count

Four times in the 2009 Star Trek reboot, New Improved Kirk hangs by his fingertips from a great height (the first time viewers see Kirk, as a boy, he's hanging by his fingertips).

Actually he's driving his step-dad's stolen car, opening the convertible top to let it tear off into the wind, then driving through a field fleeing a cop, then pulling the parking brake then jumping out and sliding along the ground THEN hanging by his fingertips so he doesn't fall into the random canyon in Iowa.

Intercepting, Burnett deliberately went down. In retrospect, many are wondering why he didn't attempt a runback. Green Bay thought the game was over: Burnett's teammates made the "get on the ground" gesture. This wasn't a bad decision on his part -- no risk he'd fumble.

Yes, yes it was a bad decision. NO ONE DENIES THIS (but gregggggggggg)

Somehow, the Packers managed to take only 64 seconds off the clock and leave Seattle with one timeout before booming a punt.

It's as though they ran 3 plays, Seattle called time out after 2 of them, then they let the 40 second play clock run down on the last one.

First, both are Heisman-winning quarterbacks, and beware the Heisman Quarterback Curse. Of the Heisman quarterbacks currently in the NFL -- Johnny Manziel, Robert Griffin III, Sam Bradford, Carson Palmer and Cam Newton -- none has a winning career record.

THAT SHIFTLESS DAHHHKIE CAM NEWTON!!!!

And gee, all those QBs taken by franchises with shit records and 3 of them having injuries derail parts or all of their careers. CURSED I TELLS YA! CURSED!!!!!

On several downs in the Oregon-Florida State semifinal, Winston's passes sailed far from any receiver's hands. The Seminoles quarterback before Winston, EJ Manuel, has struggled in the pros with accuracy and reading defenses. There will be worries Winston will struggle in the same manner.

There were concerns whether Michael Vick could withstand the pounding an NFL QB takes, especially as a QB who liked to run. So totes obv that people worried the same about Logan Thomas because everyone from the same school is exactly the same, right OJ Simpson and Marcus Allen?

But by publishing as "nonfiction" work that is made up, publishers devalue books. Why is society losing respect for books? Maybe publishers deserve some of the blame.

Society is losing respect for books? Or is this conjecture being made after people did not flock to someone's book? (King of Sports rank on B&N: 215,919) NO GREggggggggggg2PECT

Six weeks ago, the Authentic Games metric forecast a Denver-Arizona Super Bowl. I said I didn't trust the metric this year -- though last season, in early December it forecast a Denver-Seattle Super Bowl -- and my gut said New England-Seattle. The metric didn't start forecasting New England-Seattle until three weeks ago. It ends by clearly endorsing the two Super Bowl entrants.

BECAUSE YOU WENT BACK AND ARBITRARILY DECLARED WHO COUNTED AS "AUTHENTIC" AND WHO DIDN'T WHICH DOESN'T MAKE IT A METRIC, IT MAKES IT A WHIM

Thanks, again, ESPN, for devaluing what metrics and actual statistical analysis are.

With Green Bay leading 16-0, Clay Matthews sacked Russell Wilson for a loss that made the upcoming down second-and-30 -- one of the many moments when the defending champions seemed finished. Seattle's J.R. Sweezy was flagged for a personal foul for diving into Matthews after he'd tackled Wilson. Inexplicably, zebras ruled the foul happened during the play, though Wilson and Matthews were both already down. That meant if Green Bay accepted the penalty, the sack would be erased and Seattle would replay the down. Needless to say, Green Bay declined. The penalty seemed -- to everyone except the officiating crew -- to be dead-ball; Green Bay should have been able to set Seattle back to second-and-45. The Seahawks would go on to convert a third-and-long and score on the possession. Could they have converted a possession that included a second-and-45?

But hey, the officials hate the Seahawks and only want to screw them /XLchamps
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Prez » 22 Jan 2015, 12:39

You've been on a roll lately with keeping my attention, but file this one under the TL;DR category.
Like the volleyball pic, doe.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 27 Jan 2015, 14:25

There's data, there's big data, and then there is slam-dunk data. In the latter category: Teams that return an interception for a touchdown are 12-0 in the Super Bowl. Get a pick-six, win the Super Bowl. It's pretty much that simple.

Oh boy, we're in for some hard hitting statistical analysis, courtesy (flush) of ESPN

But at the Super Bowl level, the interception return touchdown has far more impact than other kinds of return plays. Teams that run back a fumble for a touchdown in the Super Bowl are 2-2. Teams that run a kick back for a touchdown are 4-6, that winning total diluted by two Super Bowl victors who had both kickoff and interception return touchdowns.

2-2 is the very definition of small sample size, and gee, teams that run back kickoffs... who are the teams with the most opportunities to return kicks.... the team getting scored on???? That's not a factor in who wins or loses

One answer may be sample size. There have been only 48 -- excuse me, XLVIII -- Super Bowls. Maybe that's not enough to wash out the role of luck in the XII-0 record for pick-six teams.

Still, the impact of the pick-six appears quite dramatic. Perhaps this is because high-level quarterback play is needed for Super Bowl success, and an interception returned for a touchdown causes the quarterback to lose confidence in himself -- or his teammates to lose confidence in him.

"Maybe it's the result of a small fluke of stats.... OR MAYBE SOME NEBULOUS SHIT NO ONE CAN DEFINE LIKE TEAMMATES LOSING CONFIDENCE!"

Fumble return touchdowns are great, but all players know that being in the right place at the right time for a scoop-and-score is almost entirely chance.

Intereptions are never teh result of chance, being in the right place-right time, idiots like Kearse letting balls bounce off their hands to others... never happens.

Kick return touchdowns are nice, too, but they involve special teams on both sides -- and while special-teams play is important, offense and defense are more important. Bears versus Colts in Super Bowl XLI: Chicago returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. Indianapolis players surely thought, "Our offense and defense are better than their offense and defense."

The Bears had the 3rd ranked scoring defense, the Colts 23rd. The Colts' D was not better than the Bears' D

When the quarterback throws an interception run back for touchdown, this may mean the quarterback, the team's leader, just made a huge mistake, or that the opponent's defense is really good. Both are unsettling.

So unsettling, so unexpected, to face a really good defense in the Super Bowl....

The pick-six can destroy a team psychologically. Early in 2013, the Texans were viewed as an AFC title contender. Then Matt Schaub threw an awful interception returned for a touchdown late against Seattle, and Houston went on to lose 12 more games for a staggering 0-14 streak.

....the 2013 Houston Texans went from AFC title contender to worst team in the league all on a pick six in week 4... (losing 30-9 to Baltimore the week before didn't affect anyone's psychology).

Super Bowl XXXV was close until early in the third quarter, when Baltimore's Duane Starks intercepted a Kerry Collins pass and ran it back for a touchdown; the Giants went on to lose 34-7. There are many examples of the interception return touchdown breaking a team's psychology.

The team's psychology was so broken they immediately returned the following kickoff for a TD, returning the game to a 10 point affair

Three of the past five Super Bowls have seen a major play on the second-half kickoff: the Saints' surprise onside kick versus the Colts, the Ravens' touchdown runback versus the 49ers and the Seahawks' touchdown runback versus Denver.

But... kickoff run backs aren't important!

Stats To Ponder No. 3: Both Super Bowl entrants got a postseason touchdown pass from a player who isn't a quarterback.

Can't believe the seahawks didn't rely on Russell Wilson and his 4 INTs to win the day

The latest New England ethical lapse -- how many times do the Patriots have to let the whole country down? -- means Bill Belichick henceforth will be Bill Belichick* to this column.

And ONTB's trip just got that much worse, Ts n Ps
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 04 Feb 2015, 11:31

Sometimes a nickel back lines up as middle linebacker. (Brady may be so obsessed with shouting out the identity of the opposition middle linebacker presnap because, in practice, he never knows who the middle linebacker will be.)

Yes, only Tom Brady shouts out who the MLB is, other QBs could give a shit :roll: :roll: :roll:

Leading 24-14 near the end of the third quarter, Seattle reached third-and-2 on the New England 47. The Seahawks have the league's No. 1 rushing attack and best power back, Marshawn Lynch. There seems no chance the Patriots could have prevented Lynch from gaining two yards on consecutive rushes. Instead Seattle lines up empty backfield, taking a Lynch run out of the equation, and throws incomplete. The clock stops and the chains don't move. Bluish Men Group offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell didn't just make a weird decision to throw at the New England 1-yard line at the game's end, rather than hand the ball to the league's best power back, he made the same weird decision on this down.

But it was Russell Wilson making the throw and he's the bestest QB evah!!!!

Of course television shows have ridiculous plots. But shouldn't the physical aspects make sense? Such as, say, the distance between locations be realistic? Recently on "NCIS: Los Angeles," the heroes traveled from Los Angeles to Tunisia and back in about 15 minutes.

"Dammit show me every fucking minute they spend sitting on the airplane, eating peanuts, trying to sleep, reading the latest People Mag!"

On "Madam Secretary," the beleaguered assistant enters with the two tall Starbucks that the Secretary of State ordered -- they don't have sleeves yet don't hurt his hand, and he waves them around as he makes a point.

Iced lattes really burn the hands

Many players came from high school and college environments where the local sports media consisted mainly of homers: scandals were downplayed, the toughest question was, "How do you explain your brilliant success?" At the NFL level, players can be surprised to encounter sharp questions and hostile tones.

Not, certainly, because NFL games are more important than prep or college contests -- NFL games are strictly entertainment, the outcomes are irrelevant to society. It's just that at the NFL level, the sports reporters are at the top of their profession, too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They ask tough questions.

Then there are the players who would radiate hostility toward the sports media, such as Lynch. In 2009, he was suspended by the league for three games. Lynch seemed to expect sports reporters would act like team publicists and change the subject; instead he got abrasive questions. Since then, including last week at Super Bowl media events, he has accused the sports media of printing lies about him: "You all can go make up whatever you're going to make up." I'd venture a guess Lynch actually does not know what the sports media is saying about him because he doesn't read the newspaper. He may prefer to believe himself the victim of some vast sports-media conspiracy.

The odd thing is that Lynch has a sense of humor, as he displayed in his Skittles parody. If he'd only show that humor at a media conference, the ice would melt.

I know, it seems quite unreasonable for Lynch to act that way, what with the steady, even way the media has reacted.

Reporters and spectators don't get angry at Lynch when he expects them to attend games: for him to get angry when he's expected to fulfill a contractual obligation involving cameras and microphones shows bad manners.

I doubt Lynch gives 2 shits if any reporters show up for the game

When Thurman Thomas couldn't find his helmet at a Super Bowl, then the Bills lost, for a while he was angry at the media because reporters kept bringing this up. One day he walked into a media conference with a basket of miniature helmets that he handed out to reporters, and told a couple jokes about himself. For the rest of his career, Thomas had the sports media eating out of his hand: When it was time to cast Hall of Fame votes, Thomas got a landslide of votes.

seems to speak more to the shittiness and biases of the media than Thomas or Lynch

The acoustics at University of Phoenix Stadium were awful, however. From the stands the sound was so bad it was difficult to determine what number Perry was performing.

Geez, ONTB just couldn't catch a break

If Super Bowl halftime acts become better experienced on a flatscreen HD TV than at the game, there's another reason for millennials to lose interest in buying NFL tickets.

Yup, that's why people go to the game
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby JichaelDick » 30 Apr 2015, 09:59

TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 30 Apr 2015, 09:59

Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

PreviousNext

Return to Even More Cowbell