LDOtL Presents: The Gregg Easterbrook Thread

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

Re: LDOtL Presents: The Gregg Easterbrook Thread

Postby Gregs Kite » 01 Oct 2015, 12:53

mister bacon wrote:ain't nobody trolling. there's very little daylight between watt and gronk as human beings. (watt is probably smarter, but that's about it) so i'm genuinely puzzled about why you continue to harp on watt and give your boy a pass.

maybe it's because hating watt allows you to be the type of angry you wanna be about gronk but just can't bring yourself to do because he plays for your team?

You know, now that you mention it, I never realized how we as fans treat players we would normally detest differently because they play for the team I root for. Real insightful stuff, counselor.

But yeah, let's continue to celebrate our losses JJ, so long as you like, got your nose bloody or your helmet fell off BY ACCIDENT again.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby mister bacon » 01 Oct 2015, 13:04

Briandong79 wrote:I'd say there is pretty considerable difference in how they present themselves. Watt puts himself out there as a "football is everything" guy but definitely somewhat robotically controls his public image. Gronk is just what he is. I like the shit talking version of Watt but don't particularly like his public persona.

on the field i see them as strong, tough, flamboyant players. the difference in all other aspects (watt being more serious, gronk partying) is pretty much negligible to me.

Gregs Kite wrote:
But yeah, let's continue to celebrate our losses JJ, so long as you like, got your nose bloody or your helmet fell off BY ACCIDENT again.

they won that game.

but we always hate when people celebrate after losses, don't we?

2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Gregs Kite » 01 Oct 2015, 13:07

mister bacon wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:I'd say there is pretty considerable difference in how they present themselves. Watt puts himself out there as a "football is everything" guy but definitely somewhat robotically controls his public image. Gronk is just what he is. I like the shit talking version of Watt but don't particularly like his public persona.

on the field i see them as strong, tough, flamboyant players. the difference in all other aspects (watt being more serious, gronk partying) is pretty much negligible to me.

Gregs Kite wrote:

they won that game.

but we always hate when people celebrate after losses, don't we?

Yeah, not much difference letting off steam after the championship game and last game of the season versus a week two loss at the Panthers. Nailed it.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby ctz31 » 01 Oct 2015, 13:26

That Julio Jones thing is hilarious. Balls, tweet that at GREGGGGG
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 14 Oct 2015, 14:10

Last week:

Green Bay lost the N.F.C. title contest against Seattle, and a Super Bowl invitation, by doing the “safe” thing four times and kicking on four fourth-and-1s. Has Mike McCarthy learned this lesson? Twice at Santa Clara, the Packers went on fourth-and-1, converting both, both times on the ground. An Aaron Rodgers offense that can also push-rush is a spooky thought.

SPOOOOOOOOOOOKY

Also... Week 2 vs Seattle, Green Bay kicked 4 FGs including a 4th and goal at the 1, that Mike McCarthy sure has learned! Also, that was why they lost :roll: :roll: :roll:

The analytical Jim Schwartz ran this successful defense. In comes the boastful Rex Ryan with a blitz-happy approach and no discipline.

Jim Schwartz, analytical, yup....

Also, 2012 New York Jets were 3rd least penalized team in the league. NO DISCIPLINE! (Last year Seattle was the most penalized team and New England was tied for 4th)

This week:

In two meetings with Indianapolis last season, discounting kneel-downs, New England rushed a total of 80 times, a high number for the New England offense, and threw short 53 times and long 12 times. Forty percent of Patriots’ passes were short to Tom Brady’s right. If in Sunday’s date at Indianapolis, New England rushes more than usual and throws short right repeatedly, expect the Colts to act surprised.

system QB

So now it’s fourth-and-1 near midfield. The Texans always lose to the Colts, they’ve opened the season 1-3, and are failing to appease J.J. Watt’s ego.

gargs is that you?

The University of Maryland fired Coach Randy Edsall for the sin of failing to win enough. Maryland has been attempting to join the ranks of those major universities — including Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State and Oregon — making so much money on sports they don’t even bother to pretend that what’s happening is education. But with meh on-field performance and lots of empty seats, Maryland cleared a mere $6 million profit on football last year, versus $53 million in profit at Alabama and a $38 million profit at Oregon. (Use this tool to find any big college’s sports revenue and expenses.) So out the door Edsall goes.

Failing to see any reason not to fire Edsall there.......
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby JT99 » 14 Oct 2015, 14:14

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
The University of Maryland fired Coach Randy Edsall for the sin of failing to win enough. Maryland has been attempting to join the ranks of those major universities — including Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State and Oregon — making so much money on sports they don’t even bother to pretend that what’s happening is education. But with meh on-field performance and lots of empty seats, Maryland cleared a mere $6 million profit on football last year, versus $53 million in profit at Alabama and a $38 million profit at Oregon. (Use this tool to find any big college’s sports revenue and expenses.) So out the door Edsall goes.

Failing to see any reason not to fire Edsall there.......

Right. Are they going to fail to make money without Edsall?

The B1G prints money.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby nova » 09 Nov 2015, 18:21

Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 01 Dec 2015, 12:48

Hey let's see what this asshole's been up to

Oct 20:

The arrival of strict rules against targeting the head was an essential football reform. N.F.L. defenders are now elaborately coached not to aim for the helmet,

"elaborately coached"

Coach: Hey, aim a foot lower than you have been on your hits.

But Peyton Manning’s fade is accelerating. He has seven touchdown passes versus 10 interceptions, a ratio that is not sustainable.

That's pretty sustainable. I'm sure you can maintain that ratio. Might not be the best formula for winning, but he can keep that up

In Marvel’s Avengers movies, S.H.I.E.L.D. has a flying aircraft carrier that uses four downward-facing fans. How big would the fans need to be to lift an actual aircraft carrier?

The Navy’s new Ford-class carriers weigh nearly 100,000 tons. Assume S.H.I.E.L.D. engineers used minimum-weight criteria to trim the helicarrier weight to 50,000 tons. Assume that the fans themselves have no mass, generate no drag, and that their power source is weightless — maybe they run on arc reactors. How big would four downward-facing fans need to be to lift 50,000 tons? Tweet your calculation to @EasterbrookG.

So... in a movie where a guy is on superhuman steriods and has an indestructible shield that somehow always bounces back to him and he survived being frozen in ice for decades, where another guy has an indestructible suit of armor that flies and fires rockets and lasers powered by clean energy, where there's a literal god, a guy who grows into a giant green indestructible monster (whose shirt is destroyed but pants are ok), a trickster god whose lil blue staff mind controls people by touching their hearts, and aliens including a slug/worm thing that somehow flies, this is the concern...

Steve Sarkisian just got the heave-ho at U.S.C.: He’d appeared in public seeming to be drunk, but the real issue may be that boosters were in an uproar over the Trojans merely being 12-6 with the whistle around his neck.

Someone should read up on this more before spouting off....

Sarkisian’s predecessor at U.S.C., Lane Kiffin, received the heave-ho for being only 28-15. Kiffin was fired in the middle of the night after the Trojans’ unpaid employees — excuse me, I meant to say student-athletes — had the temerity to allow Arizona State to score 62 points, sending the boosters into an uproar.

Well 62 points to Arizona State......

Even from programs like U.S.C. and South Carolina that produce many N.F.L. draftees,

No respect for USCe

T.M.Q. feels the Spartans’ improbable last-play victory was the football gods rewarding Michigan State for going for it four times on fourth down. Though none of the tries succeeded, this was bold — and fortune favors the bold.

"That shit didn't work which may have contributed to your need to win in miraculous fashion so I'm just gonna attribute it to your success thanks to karma or some shit"

Instead Harbaugh ordered a regular punt. He has a track record of puzzling last-second decisions, including, at the Baltimore goal line at the end of the Super Bowl, calling three consecutive passes to the underwhelming Michael Crabtree.

Punting on 4th down late is puzzling....

Also, couldn't resist another jab at one of several greggggggggg boogeymen, ol' Crabtree

Oct 27:

Why the Ravens Keep LeBron James Up at Night. Baltimore’s 1-6 record should worry LeBron James. Two months ago, Sports Illustrated predicted on its cover that Baltimore would win the Super Bowl. Last week, Sports Illustrated predicted Cleveland would win the N.B.A. championship.

I'm sure he's worried :roll:

Nov 3:

Flying Elvii note No. 1. Last week T.M.Q. proposed that besides paranoia, liberal arts education and other factors, the secret of New England’s success is that players never stop moving. At New England 7, Miami 0 in the first quarter, check the flare pass to Dion Lewis. No less than four Patriots offensive linemen hustled downfield to make blocks. On most N.F.L. teams, you’d see four offensive linemen standing around watching.

Yup, all other linemen on all other teams are lazy, no-good, slacking, bitches

4th Down Bot Worries Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk. In January’s N.F.C. title contest, Green Bay Coach Mike McCarthy faced four fourth-and-1 decisions. Four times McCarthy did the “safe” thing by sending out a kicker; Green Bay ended up losing in overtime. Has McCarthy learned his lesson?

You mean like he did before which greggggggg failed to realize?

greggggggggg in october wrote:Green Bay lost the N.F.C. title contest against Seattle, and a Super Bowl invitation, by doing the “safe” thing four times and kicking on four fourth-and-1s. Has Mike McCarthy learned this lesson? Twice at Santa Clara, the Packers went on fourth-and-1, converting both, both times on the ground. An Aaron Rodgers offense that can also push-rush is a spooky thought.

SPOOOOOOOOOOOKY

Also... Week 2 vs Seattle, Green Bay kicked 4 FGs including a 4th and goal at the 1, that Mike McCarthy sure has learned! Also, that was why they lost :roll: :roll: :roll:

T.M.Q. is deeply disappointed that the Toledo Rockets do not face the University of Akron Zips this season — Zips versus Rockets is college ball’s best names pairing. Though, the University of Richmond versus the University of Delaware is good, too — that pairing is Blue Hens versus Spiders. And when Washburn squares off with Pittsburg of Kansas, it’s Gorillas against Ichabods.

He forgot OKC's favorite match up, Gorillas against Cheesette Clam

MORATORIUM

Nov 10:

For New England the drops were sweet, and good astronomy. The 1 p.m. November start meant the declining sun would cause Stonehenge effects across the playing surface. Most of the Washington drops came with receivers looking back into the declining sun: When the sun was behind the Patriots, passes went to the shadowed areas of the field.
You’d best believe Bill Belichick has someone do this on the day before any November, December or January daylight game. The Washington franchise has 23 coaches. Were any of them out the day before charting the sun?

Since he doesn't explain when exactly this was happening in the game, it's hard to say for sure, but is gregggggggggg aware only one team per half gets to determine which way the teams will be going? So Washington can either say they want the ball or they want to spend half of the half looking at the sun.... Besides, the real reason Washington lost? #karma

The Wall Street Journal reports Disney asked Penguin Random House to delay the novelization of the next “Star Wars” movie, owing to “fears that printed copies of the book, which would have to start rolling off presses long before they could hit stores, could be purloined by people who want to spill plot details online.”

Fears of leaked plot details for the seventh in a series in which the first six movies have been nearly identical!

The first 6 Star Wars movies... were nearly... identical

Everything you need to know about TMQ and his movie watching abilities right there.

Sorry, Disney, T.M.Q. will reveal the plot of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.”

Who's excited?!??!?!?!

There’s a huge space battle that is never explained. (Do you have any idea who was fighting whom at the beginning of “Revenge of the Sith?”)

One movie in six begins with a huge space battle (IDENTICAL MOVIES!!!!). And it was Republic/Clones vs Trade Federation/Droids, as explained in the opening crawl literally 5 seconds before the battle scenes (oh God, I'm defending Revenge of the Sith???? It is impossible to tell who's who during the battle, plus who gives a fuck really what's going on as it appears to not matter at all).

A mysterious masked figure cackles about power and hurls energy bolts.

There was a "mysterious" masked figure in Eps 1 & 2, none of the original trilogy. Energy bolts are shot from fingers (not hurled) in Eps 3 & 6. (6 identical movies)

Respectable people refuse to believe that dark forces are afoot, though this happens constantly in the Star Wars galaxy.

No one in the original trilogy doubted anything going on. It was a literal battle of good versus evil. But yeah, "happens constantly."

Good-looking teenagers decide to make a stand: Luckily, they have magic!

Luke and Leia are teens in Ep 4. Anakin's a teen in Ep 2. AND IT'S THE FORCE NOT MAGIC :geek:

One of the good-looking teens is revealed to be related to someone important; this is presented as a huge surprise.

It's a surprise in Eps 5 & 6, this never happens in the prequels (identical movies, these are)

There are numerous battles in which Jedi armed only with light sabers defeat storm troopers, clones or droids with laser guns.

Again, this never happens in the original trilogy with the small exception of Luke on Endor for 2 minutes before he turns himself in to Vader. He defeats 1 flipping storm trooper on a speeder bike with his light saber. The only other Jedi in the original trilogy are Obi Wan (only fights Vader with a light saber, LOSES [i.e. defeats no one... well he cuts the arm off a guy in a bar, but he wasn't a storm trooper, clone, or droid]) and Yoda who never uses a light saber and defeats only gravity and a swamp by lifting an X wing out of it. One whole storm trooper is defeated by a light saber.

An adorable computer-animated robot mugs for the camera while adorable computer-animated pet-like aliens do something heroic.

C-3PO and R2-D2 as well as BB-8 are all real props/people and are not computer animated (exception R2-D2 in parts of eps 2 & 3) Chewbacca is presumably the pet-like alien he's referring to at least from the original trilogy (maybe Admiral Akbar too?) No computer animation involved.

Noble space-fighter pilots stage a desperate attack against a gigantic weapon

Remember the fight against a gigantic weapon in Empire Strikes Back? And Attack of the Clones? And Revenge of the Sith? Even Phantom Menace was just against a blockade and not some gigantic weapon. (The identical-ness is so flippin' spooky guys)

the noble pilots use World War I dogfighting tactics rather than, say, delivering a bomb. (In the Star Wars galaxy, antigravity devices are common but explosives are unknown, as are guard rails.)

So true...

Good triumphs over evil, or at least sets the stage for a sequel.

Like in Empire, Revenge....

Nov. 17:

Dallas is 2-0 with Tony Romo, 0-7 with anyone else under center. Assuming Romo comes back, Dallas fans can revel in his 28-7 career record in November

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Single Worst Play of the Season — So Far. The mighty Cowboys trailing the lowly Buccaneers 10-6 with 28 seconds remaining, Boys ball at the Bucs’ 45, Dez Bryant ran deep. Matt Cassel overthrew him. As the ball sailed toward a City of Tampa player, Bryant made no attempt to defense the pass; rather, he pulled up and began whining to the officials. Interception, game over.

When a pass is off-target, the receiver must become a defensive back: Jerry Rice, the greatest receiver, excelled at breaking up bad passes. But Bryant doesn’t seem to care about playing smart football; all he seems to care about is publicity for himself. Dez, here’s some ink, or at least some pixels. You are guilty of the single worst play of the season — so far.

Greggggggg here to take shots at all you glory boy diva 1st round WRs

Nov. 24:

Fans of the musical “Guys and Dolls” know the opening number in which some tinhorns with heaters sing about the glories of betting the ponies.

:gay: :gay: :gay: :gay:

Dec. 1:

Thanksgiving has come and Ryan, whose team is 5-6, appears out of 2015 boasts. Maybe Ryan can figure out a way to boast about being an effective 0-5 on challenges versus Kansas City, throwing the red flag on calls that were correct while not challenging key calls that were clearly wrong.

ctz's been ghost-writing

Virginia Tech just replaced the storied Frank Beamer with Justin Fuente of Memphis, who walked out on a five-year contract he signed less than 12 months ago. Nobody put a gun to Fuente’s head and forced him to agree to that December 2014 deal. Fuente, who’s leaving Memphis immediately — good luck in that bowl game, Tigers — breaks his promises to the University of Memphis and to the young men he recruited. In recruiting, most college football coaches preach loyalty and family. Then when dollars are waved, it’s see you later. Virginia Tech faithful: Fuente did not keep his word at Memphis; why assume he will keep his word to you? Apparently the Virginia Tech program is changing in more ways than one, from Beamer’s character-first approach to the almighty-dollar mind-set.

His contract has a buy out in it stipulating what would happen should he want to leave. He exercised that option. Hooray! Oh, wait, makes him a weasel. He should have had to wait 4 more years then hope a program opens up that wants him and that he would still maintain a good program with no contract keeping him around to entice recruits should no one else want him in 4 years. Logic
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 29 Jan 2016, 14:59

Let's kill the rest of this work week, shall we?

December 8th (fuck the 8th? I'm the worst)

Last night, the Washington Redskins brought their much-debated appellation to “Monday Night Football.”

“Hail to the Redskins” was sung in the nation’s capital on national television at a taxpayer-subsidized event.

Landover, Maryland a.k.a. capital of your United States

First, on Saturday the 2015 Heisman Trophy winner will be announced. Here’s an insider tip: It won’t be a lineman. If John Heisman were alive today, he would not be considered for his own trophy.

Lady Byng is never gonna win her trophy either

Dec 15:

In standings news, if the postseason began today, two losing teams, Indianapolis and Washington, would host playoff games while a winning team, Pittsburgh, would not be invited. The Colts are 6-7 and have been outscored by 70 points in their last two contests. Yet the goofy N.F.L. playoff formula favors them over the 8-5 Steelers. Time for a seeded tournament!

And yet by season's end only teams with winning records made the playoffs... No NFC team with a winning record missed the playoffs. The 2 #1 seeds made the Super Bowl... Boy better blow it all up

Dec 22:

The current generation’s great coaches are renowned mainly for cultivating Hall of Fame quarterbacks ... Mike Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger.

Pretty sure Rapistburger already had a ring before Tomlin came along....

No N.F.L. coach is remembered for his ability to teach trap blocks.

In other football news, because the N.F.L. postseason is single-elimination, often what matters is who’s at their best down the stretch.

Like Denver this year...

Or the Ravens losing 4 of 5 to close the season then won the Super Bowl
Or the Giants starting 6-2 before closing 3-5 then winning the Super Bowl
Or the Saints losing 3 straight to end the season then going on to win.... the Super Bowl
Or the Colts starting 9-0 then closing 3-4 to win the Super Bowl... and honestly I think greggggggggggg says this every year and I respond with this shit every year and why am I doing this?

Dec 29:

So too the economy of the “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” galaxy, where hyperdrive is ho-hum and antigravity devices are so common that teenagers like Rey own them, yet people fight over morsels of food. Shouldn’t food be easier to produce than starships?

If you're on a desert world covered in junk/wrecked ships, seems that yes, hyperdrives and antigravity shit is easier to find than food since the machines/parts will stay around and food gets turned into poop and you're on a desert

Acquired by Washington for a king’s ransom in draft selections, Griffin is one of those quarterbacks who would have been better off if drafted lower. Griffin, Joey Harrington, David Klingler, Rick Mirer, Christian Ponder, Heath Shuler, Akili Smith — going toward the top of the draft placed on them stressful expectations that wouldn’t have happened had any of them been chosen “second day.” [size=200=(Ryan Leaf does not belong on this list because the extent of his injuries was never appreciated by football fans[/size]; high-drafted players who disappoint after sustaining significant injuries, such as Leaf, Ki-Jana Carter or Steve Emtman, are not busts.)

Who could argue against him being a great leader of men

That's all I'm doing for now.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby mj3528 » 21 Aug 2017, 13:04

I know you have a new child, but it looks like you will have some work to do for the site:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/tuesday-morning-quarterback-to-relaunch-at-the-weekly-standard/article/2009300

Greggggg is already in mid-season from:

Easterbrook says, “There will be a total eclipse of the sun, and the next day the football gods will smile as Tuesday Morning Quarterback returns. I am very excited about TMQ on TWS.”
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby the cheese » 21 Aug 2017, 13:22

Wait...Easterbrook moved TMQ to the Weekly Standard?

Jesus Christ, man. Give it up.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 21 Aug 2017, 13:51

the cheese wrote:Wait...Easterbrook moved TMQ to the Weekly Standard?

Right?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 21 Aug 2017, 14:10

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
the cheese wrote:Wait...Easterbrook moved TMQ to the Weekly Standard?

Right?

HA! Did he? Didn't think anyone was still dumb enough to pay him money for this...
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 22 Aug 2017, 12:42

Let's do thiiiiiiisssssssss

Then a year ago this time, I took a year off to complete my next book.

Pssshh, yeah, that's why you "took a year off." Not "ESPN dumped me, Yahoo (or whomever) that had me between ESPN stints wouldn't take me back, NYT dumped me after one year, and finally someone is dumb and desperate enough to give me another shot." Weekly Standard does NOT come to SOTSG.

Also, where's this book? BRS is right around the corner.....

A few details on TMQ are below. For now, let’s open with a proposal to solve two problems at once: Colin Kaepernick should sign with Google.

How does that solve anything? The jokes are already in mid-season form!

Also, below this "joke" is a pic of Kaep with this caption: "Remember when Jaws said, "I truly believe Colin Kaepernick could be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever"? LOL"

Ya burnt Jaws and Kaep, el oh elllllllllll

Neither Griffin nor Kaepernick throw particularly well from the pocket, and pocket passing is the all rage right now.

Yeah, "right now" as opposed to anytime in NFL history, especially the past 20 years. NOW is when pocket passing is the rage. Even in 2012 when the read option was rolling in the NFL, it was all of 3 or 4 teams running it. Feel the rage.

Those crying doomsday regarding Kaepernick’s unemployment skip over the fact that Kaepernick is a zone-read guy, and that the zone read has gone from red-hot to stone-cold. A zone-read quarterback seeking a job in today’s NFL is like a low-post power forward seeking a job in the today’s three-ball NBA. Robert Griffin III, is also unemployed, is also a zone-read guy, and is an evangelical Christian from a military family. So there’s no right-wing political barrier to signing him: NFL coaches just don’t want zone-read guys....

Still, quarterback is football’s most valuable position. If Derek Carr goes down again, does anyone seriously believe the Raiders will stand a better chance with E.J. Manuel than they would with Kaepernick?

Better? Maybe not, but probably equal. You just said Kaep runs a different offense. Why would Oakland waste time practicing a second offensive system for the backup in case the starter goes down? Also, what's EJ Manuel's cap hit? Kaep's contract demands? Because the reports have been he doesn't want to be paid like the backup.

Baltimore. The most entertaining play of 2016 professional football came at the close of Bengals-at-Ravens. Baltimore led by 7 and faced 4th-and-8 on its own 23 with a few seconds remaining: any outcome other than a blocked punt touchdown would secure the day for the hosts. John Harbaugh, a former special teams coach who knows the rulebook, instructed all his players to hold, so punter Sam Koch could stand in the end zone whistling a merry tune whilst the clock ticked toward double-naughts.

A punter standing around whistling a merry tune was the most entertaining play of 2016 pro football... GTFO

A few weeks later, Harbaugh bungled a special teams call in the endgame, leading to the defeat that conked out the Nevermores’ season. At New England on Monday Night Football, Baltimore trailed 30-20 and faced 4th-and-1 on the Patriots 20 just before the two-minute warning. Harbaugh sent in the placekicker, who cut the margin to 30-23. The hosts recovered the onside kick and drilled the clock with power runs behind six offensive linemen. (Set aside that the Patriots won by using precisely the tactics Atlanta would fail to employ a short time later in a similar circumstances in the Super Bowl.) The lesson: Harbaugh should have gone for it on 4th-and-1.

The lesson: losing 30-27 is somehow better than 30-23. :roll: :roll:

And after overspending in the draft, Whaley overspent on contracts. His deals pay Charles Clay, Marcell Dareus, Cordy Glenn, and Jerry Hughes as if they were among the NFL elite, though none has ever started a playoff game.

No good/great players play for bad teams that miss the playoffs. Why did Derek Carr even get a contract extension? HE HASN'T STARTED A PLAYOFF GAME

It’s hard not to conclude that the tanking strategy—deliberately lose, while fattening the owner’s wallet—has expanded from basketball to professional football. Buffalo and Cleveland are tanking by deferring draft picks to future years. For their parts, Jacksonville and Santa Clara appear to be tanking by not spending salary cap room.

That's not what tanking is, tanking is losing for the better draft picks and building towards the future. Losing with cheap teams just to make money is, I dunno, the Marlins' Approach?

In the NFL, victory is not essential to profit.

Or in American profession team sports....

Deliberately losing in order to make the season more profitable for the owner is changing professional men’s basketball from a competitive league to one in which a handful of elite teams play to win while the rest are essentially performing exhibitions.

LOSING DOESN'T MAKE THE SEASON MORE PROFITABLE! If anything, it hurts the season's profitability as the TV money is already locked in but home attendance will suffer with crappier teams. It's done to improve a team's draft status because the NBA has been the handful of elite teams for... ever? And (especially in the NBA) when a top draft pick like a LeBron can make your team suddenly relevant, teams in the lower 1/2 to 2/3rds are better off aiming for a top 5 pick versus an 8 seed in the playoffs. That's true for both winning and long term profitability. And team owners aren't investing a billion or two just to make short-term profitability decisions.

When Lewis orders playoff punts on 4th-and-short, Dalton trots passively off the field—rather than go berserk, as Brett Favre would in such a situation.

You know what made Joe Montana such an amazing QB? Going berserk in the huddle in the Super Bowl and just spazzing out. Really inspired confidence.

Joseph is one of several rookie head coaches this season taking over at the top of their profession despite having never been a head coach at any other level. It’s hard not to suspect the reason he did not try to keep Phillips was to focus the limelight on himself.

Because all head coaches are 16 year old girls
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby JichaelDick » 22 Aug 2017, 12:48

For the record, Baltimore held like hell in Super Bowl XLVII against Frisco at the end of that game, too.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

PreviousNext

Return to Even More Cowbell