LDOtL Presents: The Gregg Easterbrook Thread

Discuss other Sports Guy stuff here!

LDOtL Presents: The Gregg Easterbrook Thread

Postby hackdaddy » 30 Nov 2004, 17:12

Maybe everybody knows this, but for those of you who used to read TMQ on page 2, but didn't know what happened to him when he left, he's now on NFL.com. Sorry if this is old news, but thought I should let people know.
hackdaddy
Poot

Postby Tecmo Bo » 30 Nov 2004, 17:29

He got dumped because he said something critical of someone at Disney.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Big Scary Monster » 30 Nov 2004, 18:15

He actually wrote a whole diatribe on the New Republic about Michael Eisner (President of Disney and thus supreme lord of ESPN). It was pretty brutal.

http://www.tnr.com/easterbrook.mhtml?pid=844

I found him awhile back and I still read him. Some of his stuff is funny, but its very formulaic which some people I guess would find charming, but I find boring. One thing I will say however, is that TMQ has impacted my view of blizting on 3 and 10.
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Snake » 30 Nov 2004, 18:46

I agree. I think Gregg Easterbrook understands football as well as any columnist, I just got sick of hearing the same joke over and over again (and yet I still can't wait to hear what Bill's dad says about the NBA draft kids suits this year, what does that say about me?).
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Tecmo Bo » 30 Nov 2004, 19:09

Quite a damning article there. Takes some balls. He's pretty spot on though, especially about Tarantino.

Honestly, how many Columnists aren't formulaic? SG? Check. Brian Murphy and The Hangover? Check. Ralph Wiley? Check.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 01 Dec 2004, 02:18

Well Ralph Wiley is dead, so any of his current columns are likely really formulaic. Technically, Gregg Easterbrook was fired from ESPN.com because comments in that article were considered anti-Semitic. As a Jew myself I got that from my first quick read of the article before I realized what he was really saying. He certainly should have been disciplined for his poor choice of words, but firing him was over the top.

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby TAbbott » 01 Dec 2004, 08:27

If it weren't for the crazy tangents in his articles, he would probably be my number two sports writer. I have a hard time relating to anyone who has any sort of Klingon theory, whether that person is a genius or not. More football, less Star Trek please.
TAbbott
Czar-like official

Postby jwill » 01 Dec 2004, 08:36

TAbbott wrote:If it weren't for the crazy tangents in his articles, he would probably be my number two sports writer. I have a hard time relating to anyone who has any sort of Klingon theory, whether that person is a genius or not. More football, less Star Trek please.

Unless of course the theory involves telling Michael Eisner to
"klingon to deez nuts."

Also, considering where I read most of his articles, I reserve the honorary title of "number 2" sportswriter for the SG.
jwill
Reverend Lovejoy

Postby Big Scary Monster » 01 Dec 2004, 12:47

joshuajwill wrote:
Also, considering where I read most of his articles, I reserve the honorary title of "number 2" sportswriter for the SG.

I see you are a "print and poop" person. Never can get into that... but to each their own I guess.

They can say whatever they want about TMQ's firing and any anti-semitism that they perceived, but when it comes down to it, we all know its because he put the smackdown on Eisner.

I guess my big problem is the difference between formula and ongoing jokes. I think SG and Brian Murphy are good at keeping jokes going... TMQ literally cuts and pastes WHOLE sections of old articles sometimes and just changes the Team names and scores. I will admit that I enjoy his alternate names for some of the teams. Les Mouflons and the Squared Sevens are two of my favs.
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Tecmo Bo » 01 Dec 2004, 13:27

I rather like the Flaming Thumbtacks and Jersey/A and Jersey/B
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 01 Dec 2004, 14:31

My personal favorites are the Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons and the City of Tampa.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Adam Carolla » 01 Dec 2004, 16:50

I always really liked TMQ, but trying to read his secret code language gave me a headache - and I always thought I had a high tolerance for that sort of thing. It's like he grew up in some sort of alternate dimension America where everything except the slang was the same... and then he stumbled into our world.
Adam Carolla
Another dude worth meeting

Location: Bringing this ice cream maker all the way from Bespin to pegs near you in 2009.

Postby WampaOne » 11 Aug 2005, 13:29

TMQ?s back

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8720226

Edit: may I suggest to our mods that they move this tread to the NFL forum...?
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby ron caron » 11 Aug 2005, 14:07

He can be repetitive, but I think it's refreshing to read intelligent football commentary, especially after a weekend of having to mute Collinsworth, Buck, Bradshaw, Theisman, Aikman... actually just everyone at Fox and a few others...after genius commentary like "well it's 3rd down so they want to get the 1st" or "turnovers will kill you" or any other cliche. Firing TMQ was another step on the road to the thriving "ESPN Sucks" thread.
ron caron
Pink Helmet

Postby TheDooze » 11 Aug 2005, 14:14

I've been reading TMQ since before he even wrote at ESPN, when he was at Slate.

Usually, the football weekend goes for five days:

Friday - Simmons weekly NFL picks column
Saturday - Michigan football
Sunday - Lions football
Monday - MNF
Tuesday - TMQ
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Next

Return to Even More Cowbell