Intern Contest - Part 5

Discuss the columns here!

Intern Contest - Part 5

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Mar 2005, 16:44

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050322/intern1

Somebody else read them. I'm not in the mood.

In other news I see that season two of the cartoon has been delayed until April. I'm having trouble resisting the urge of breaking into the chorus of Toni Braxton's Unbreak My Heart.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby pteaxwa » 22 Mar 2005, 16:46

Yeah, I saw them posted too and didn't want to read them either.
pteaxwa
Hope College Alum

Postby mandingo » 22 Mar 2005, 16:53

"harmless idea that drove all the people who spend their days using anonymous names to rip writers on message boards into an absolute frenzy"

Ouch.
[Fri 15:59] Rickey Sez: call me "sex bomb", please.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Mar 2005, 16:54

Alright, I spent about 8.2 seconds reading them and the thing that stuck in my head was Simmons' dig at people who anonymously rip on sports columnists on message boards. I've always been on the "he doesn't read the site" side of that debate, but maybe he's seen SDH's posts and is a masochist.

As for who wins, pick one. I don't care. I'd rather see them write free-form. Unless Renee is willing to publicly defend curling on the SG's site. Then she gets my vote. Curling rocks. (pun intended)

Note: I'm glad to see three of us all picked out the same sentence to write about at the exact same time.
Last edited by Frank the Tank on 22 Mar 2005, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby sportsdorkhater » 22 Mar 2005, 16:54

im not a fan of the intern contest and i tried giving it a quick once-over but couldnt make it thru. dont really like the idea of this round either, but do think the asian broad is kind of cute.

did find this nugget in the inro from sports dork:

Just nine months ago, we exchanged e-mails and posted them on ESPN.com for an entire day, a harmless idea that drove all the people who spend their days using anonymous names to rip writers on message boards into an absolute frenzy.

doesnt sports dork post on several message boards? i dont think sports dork uses william j simmons III as his "screen name" on those boards. id be more than happy to introduce myself to him and drop a little hate for him in person. :twisted:
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby nerf66 » 22 Mar 2005, 16:55

OOOOHHHH!!! They have pictures up!!! I didn't read anything, but I got a kick out of the pictures! Renee is actually hot......who would have guessed!? And Asian! If theresa ever said she was hot, I would like another picture to decide.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby nerf66 » 22 Mar 2005, 17:01

I'm going with Chuck Bell for a couple of reasons:

1. I loved him in "Life Goes On" as Corky Thatcher
2. He was the only one with balls enough to get wasted and dress up in a tux for his picture! Awesome!
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby jwill » 22 Mar 2005, 17:08

I took one for the team and read them all.

It was kind of funny how the first girl was all whiny about someone having the same answer as her last time. Anyway she said she would eliminate herself if anyone else had the same answer as her this time and she did try to answer rick fox (same as the last guy).
jwill
Reverend Lovejoy

Postby mandingo » 22 Mar 2005, 17:15

I read them all, they're okay i guess. Pretty shitty question to ask considering 2 of the finalists were female. But it will all be over soon.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby pteaxwa » 22 Mar 2005, 17:30

There's another board that I post on that Bill Simmons is guaranteed not to read which was ripping on that Chuck Klosterman just the other day.
Also, I am still firmly planted in the "Simmons doesn't read this board" camp. Also that blog deal/email exchange was done before this particular board was started.
pteaxwa
Hope College Alum

Postby Tecmo Bo » 22 Mar 2005, 17:39

They all sound like schmucks. Fire em all and write some real goddamn columns for a change!
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby mandingo » 22 Mar 2005, 17:39

I think Bill has at least seen this board. If anyone emailed it to the old intern or to Bill I'm sure he took a look at it. I doubt we will ever know one way or another unless he pulls a Curt Schilling and just shows up and starts putting all of us internet blowhards in our places. Which would be pretty amusing.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Mar 2005, 17:40

mandingo wrote:I doubt we will ever know one way or another unless he pulls a Curt Schilling and just shows up and starts putting all of us internet blowhards in our places.

I'm married. I'm quite used to getting put in my place.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby dodjie » 22 Mar 2005, 18:34

What a terrible question...

That being said, I'm voting for Renee because
- she's a fellow Canadian
- she's hot

Justin is a close 2nd for writing about Lock Up, perhaps the most underrated entry in the Sly Stallone canon.
Sammy Davis, Jr.: Uh.. this is, uh..
Rajeev Vindaloo: Chocolate Babies?
Sammy Davis, Jr.: Right.
dodjie
Doug Christie

Postby TheWolf » 22 Mar 2005, 18:45

I really like the guy from Colgate, Rich Levine; I think he did the best with this particular installtment, which was a lot better than I expected overall. I also think Renee is very cute, and Theresa looks like she might be, but she apparently chose a picture by which you really can't tell what she looks like at all. My money's definitely on Levine at this point.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Next

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh