Bill Simmons Sports Column. 1/5/2018. Enjoy!

Discuss the columns here!

Re: Bill Simmons Sports Column. 1/5/2018. Enjoy!

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 06 Jan 2018, 21:25

JichaelDick wrote:
I AM SUPPOSED TO TAKE THIS TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS ON THE ROAD????? With DeMarco Murray out, they won’t be able to run the ball. (Sorry, Derrick Henry isn’t good.)

Nice call, Dick.

all the catz, look forward to his back tracking and "how could I overlook Andy in the playoffs" blah blah blah
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby JichaelDick » 07 Jan 2018, 01:15

RAMS (-6) over Falcons
My favorite game on the board for the following reasons …

1. The Rams are better, faster, better coached and more explosive (on both ends) than people realize. They also love going for the jugular, running up the score and doing everything else you’d want from a 6-point favorite—just ask the Seahawks. Throw them on national TV on a Saturday night with 90,000 loud fans and they’ll be even faster. They have a higher level in them. I can feel it.

2. Conversely, the Falcons have looked sloppy as hell, they’re poorly coached (especially in the red zone), they’re playing outdoors (yikes) and their offense is so predictable that anyone who’s played Madden for more than 500 hours can literally yell out their next play once they line up.

3. Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald.

4. The last time we saw a matchup more one-sided than Wade Phillips against Steve Sarkisian, Mike Tyson was fighting Marvis Frazier.

5. I’d describe Matt Ryan’s 2017 performance as “a little jittery.”

6. Miraculously, Atlanta became a chic Round 1 upset pick mainly because it’s a favorite-heavy weekend. Great! Please, keep telling me how the talented Falcons could finally put it together after they failed to do so for four solid months—I’d love to hear more!

7. RAM IT.

Only one person can kill the Rams in Round 1: It’s their more-than-shaky kicker, Sam Ficken, someone capable of blowing 9-10 points, killing their momentum and maybe even swinging a double-digit win toward an Atlanta cover. He’s my biggest fear with the Rams, by far; nothing else comes close. It’s a Super Bowl team with a CFL kicker. I don’t think we’ll have to worry about Sam Ficken this weekend. But next weekend in Minnesota? Gulp. Let’s hope he doesn’t end up with his own Playoff Manifesto rule.

Nice call, dick.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Dthefritz » 07 Jan 2018, 12:48

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
I AM SUPPOSED TO TAKE THIS TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS ON THE ROAD????? With DeMarco Murray out, they won’t be able to run the ball. (Sorry, Derrick Henry isn’t good.)

Nice call, Dick.

all the catz, look forward to his back tracking and "how could I overlook Andy in the playoffs" blah blah blah

Yeah, but the fact that you're criticizing him for being wrong and applying hindsight bias is just a convenient cover for your obvious jealousy.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 07 Jan 2018, 12:53

I don't even gamble and I enjoyed the hell out of this piece. Vintage Bill is the best.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby ctz31 » 07 Jan 2018, 17:17

A classic Gus Ramsey game: Namely, how many points will Buffalo actually score in this game with McCoy playing on one leg? Seven? Nine? Will Jacksonville’s defense outscore Buffalo’s offense? Will Bortles even have to throw 10 times? And Bills fans … be afraid of Playoff Fournette. Be very afraid. The Pick: Jacksonville: 24 Buffalo: 6

Nice call Dick!
ctz31
#nnf

Postby PhillyJim76 » 07 Jan 2018, 20:34

He went 0-4 didn’t he? NFL “expert”
It feels so good to be back.
PhillyJim76
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dthefritz » 07 Jan 2018, 20:46

PhillyJim76 wrote:He went 0-4 didn’t he? NFL “expert”

JT99 wrote:
the most trustworthy gambler’s guide
[/quote
Come on PJ, have some respect! The universe conspired against him this weekend, it could have happened to anybody. Millions of people still trust the manifesto like their own flesh and blood.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 07 Jan 2018, 20:54

PhillyJim76 wrote:He went 0-4 didn’t he? NFL “expert”

We should hire him to write The Corner!
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 08 Jan 2018, 15:15

Does anyone know the reasoning for Bill hating Gruden so much? Second time I've seen it.

Doesn't make sense.
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum

Postby mj3528 » 08 Jan 2018, 15:16

Seahawks XL Champs wrote:Does anyone know the reasoning for Bill hating Gruden so much? Second time I've seen it.

Doesn't make sense.

I hypothesized that it was because Gruden earned more than him at ESPN, and Bill viewed Gruden as an inferior talent.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby JichaelDick » 08 Jan 2018, 15:37

mj3528 wrote:
Seahawks XL Champs wrote:Does anyone know the reasoning for Bill hating Gruden so much? Second time I've seen it.

Doesn't make sense.

I hypothesized that it was because Gruden earned more than him at ESPN, and Bill viewed Gruden as an inferior talent.

Ding ding ding.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 08 Jan 2018, 15:52

JichaelDick wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

Doesn't make sense.

Ding ding ding.

That was my guess too. But Bill isn't a popular former NFL coach. Even for him this is a stretch. I know he HATED that Tirico "sold Gruden's jokes" and didn't play nicely with Tony K but this he should hold against Mike, not Jon.
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum

Postby Dthefritz » 08 Jan 2018, 18:20

JichaelDick wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

Doesn't make sense.

Ding ding ding.

Close, but no cigar. BIll was [and presumably still is] completely convinced that his dismissal from ESPN was the result of him being a bad-ass rebel who spoke truths far too scathing for lame-ass corporate America, while Jon Gruden saying nice things about everybody was part of the oppressive buddy-buddy system that kept him down.

Needless to say, Bill acting like a huge pain in the ass and demanding far more money than either he or his vanity projects were actually worth were completely incidental to his termination.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby PhillyJim76 » 08 Jan 2018, 20:06

Tuck rule game maybe?
It feels so good to be back.
PhillyJim76
The Bomb Dick

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 09 Jan 2018, 07:39

What'd bill say about gruden?
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

PreviousNext

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh