Bill And The Sixers: True Romance

Discuss the columns here!

Bill And The Sixers: True Romance

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 17 Nov 2017, 11:33

PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Re: Bill And The Sixers: True Romance

Postby Dthefritz » 17 Nov 2017, 12:39

Embiid had decided to basketball-murder the Los Angeles Lakers. Like, all of them.

I bet that ninny Kareem cried himself to sleep!

He protected the rim like A Not As Young As We Probably Thought Dikembe

Recycle a 20+ year old joke, and avoid complimenting Dwight, who was actually a better defensive player than Deke, but had the audacity to win a playoff series against Boston. WIN WIN.

I attended one of Embiid’s pre-draft workouts in May 2014, after which I reported that Embiid was “such an athletic freak that he’s one of those ‘still going up as he’s finishing the dunk’ guys” and predicted that he’d become the first pick because Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker hadn’t separated themselves enough to warrant “passing on a potential franchise center with a good chance of becoming the 7-foot Serge Ibaka.

They are both born in Africa and play basketball. Good comparison.

When I compared him to the best possible version of Lamar Odom two weeks ago, I shot too low. He’s a bigger/better/nastier Grant Hill, with a dash of Magic and a sprinkle of LeBron thrown in.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

The Process revolved around one idea: Philly rigging a flawed system for as many chances as possible at a franchise player.

You see, the draft lottery system is flawed because the Celtics don't get the #1 pick every single time they miss the playoffs, and the dastardly Knicks got the #1 pick that one time 32 years ago.

Some thought it was brilliant; some despised it; some thought it was brilliant AND despised it (like me).

Oh, how deliciously Klosterman-esque! Everybody in the world has one of two black and white mostly wrong opinions, and uniquely I can see both sides of it, and will dance around both sides of the issue without really saying anything. VOICE OF A GENERATION.

Could you say Philly fans crawled through 500 yards of shit-smelling foulness and came out clean on the other side? Sure, why not?

Because it doesn't really add anything to the column?

They [Sixers fans] embraced the Process, sacrificed years of their NBA-watching lives for it, kept buying tickets for the worst products imaginable, believed in the great unknown and battled everyone who felt differently about the concept of an NBA franchise intentionally losing for almost half a decade.

Only a blockhead like Billy could not only think that fans are responsible for a team's success by willing them to victory, but are somehow also responsible for front office decisions.

The NBA Freak Championship Belt
We mailed this to LeBron’s house in 2008; by 2012, we assumed we were never getting it back.

Did the craft of writing personally massacre Bill's family? What dark iron in his soul could possibly allow him to treat it so cruelly? This is where I sign off.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 17 Nov 2017, 12:45

Bill really has a (James) hard-on for this Tatum chap.
#2C4S
Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Gregs Kite » 17 Nov 2017, 12:55

Mario Speedwagon wrote:Bill really has a (James) hard-on for this Tatum chap.

Yeah, a talented, evolutionary Paul Pierce. Can't believe as a Celtics fan he would enjoy watching him play.

Dthefritz wrote:You see, the draft lottery system is flawed because the Celtics don't get the #1 pick every single time they miss the playoffs, and the dastardly Knicks got the #1 pick that one time 32 years ago.

Look at you introducing a Knicks shoehorn this week for no reason whatsoever!
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 17 Nov 2017, 12:58

Even as recently as 20 years ago, remember how many NBA stars disappointed us because they acted recklessly off the court, squandered their potential and/or took their considerable gifts for granted? (I’m looking at you, C-Webb, Reign Man, Big Dog, White Chocolate, Kenny, Vin, J.R., Spree, and everyone else from the Too Much Too Fast Too Soon era.)

I guess drunk Kenny and Vin could be there, but the rest? CWebb is a hall of famer, Kemp was a double double for like ten years, Robinson wasn't a great pro but got 20+ for like ten years, what the fuck more did you want from Williams?, and Spree sure as shit got a lot out of his gifts. Dude was playing 40/min a game for his first five years. J.R Rider was indeed a knucklehead whose mom once came onto a professional court to tell him to shut up but I don't think anyone was expecting him to split the atom or become George Gervin.

We were looking for Antoine Walker or Stephon Marbury or Derrick Coleman. I get the bit and agree to a point but just that his examples are shite. How the fuck is CWebb even on the list???

Also, a picture of balls reading this one
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby JichaelDick » 17 Nov 2017, 13:01

Simmons, for whatever reason, has always had a hard-on for C-Webb "not doing enough with his talent." There may be something to it, but damn...he was still really, really good.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Gregs Kite » 17 Nov 2017, 13:04

JichaelDick wrote:Simmons, for whatever reason, has always had a hard-on for C-Webb "not doing enough with his talent." There may be something to it, but damn...he was still really, really good.

Agreed. Really good. Not a hall of famer by any measure. Not even charts with dots on them.

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Dthefritz » 17 Nov 2017, 13:12

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Even as recently as 20 years ago, remember how many NBA stars disappointed us because they acted recklessly off the court, squandered their potential and/or took their considerable gifts for granted? (I’m looking at you, C-Webb, Reign Man, Big Dog, White Chocolate, Kenny, Vin, J.R., Spree, and everyone else from the Too Much Too Fast Too Soon era.)

I guess drunk Kenny and Vin could be there, but the rest? CWebb is a hall of famer, Kemp was a double double for like ten years, Robinson wasn't a great pro but got 20+ for like ten years, what the fuck more did you want from Williams?, and Spree sure as shit got a lot out of his gifts. Dude was playing 40/min a game for his first five years. J.R Rider was indeed a knucklehead whose mom once came onto a professional court to tell him to shut up but I don't think anyone was expecting him to split the atom or become George Gervin.

We were looking for Antoine Walker or Stephon Marbury or Derrick Coleman. I get the bit and agree to a point but just that his examples are shite. How the fuck is CWebb even on the list???

If KG hadn't been traded to the Celtics and retired without a ring, we would have been treated to an endless series of columns attaching some BS armchair psychology to get to the bottom of his massively disappointing career.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby TheWolf » 17 Nov 2017, 13:16

Dthefritz wrote:

If KG hadn't been traded to the Celtics and retired without a ring, we would have been treated to an endless series of columns attaching some BS armchair psychology to get to the bottom of his massively disappointing career.

That's probably true, but you seem to be implying a Boston connection that isn't relevant. If he got traded somewhere else and won a ring, his career would be just as great and Bill would have nothing to shit on him for.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dthefritz » 17 Nov 2017, 13:19

TheWolf wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

That's probably true, but you seem to be implying a Boston connection that isn't relevant. If he got traded somewhere else and won a ring, his career would be just as great and Bill would have nothing to shit on him for.

I'm not actually implying a Boston connection, and agree 100% that if he had been traded to Phoenix and won a title there Bill would have done the same 180 from the stupid shit he wrote about KG when he was in Minnesota.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby TheWolf » 17 Nov 2017, 13:21

Dthefritz wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

I'm not actually implying a Boston connection, and agree 100% that if he had been traded to Phoenix and won a title there Bill would have done the same 180 from the stupid shit he wrote about KG when he was in Minnesota.

Fair. You can imagine why I might have interpreted that as a needless Boston shoehorn. But please accept my apologies for this misunderstanding.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 17 Nov 2017, 13:30

Gregs Kite wrote:
Yeah, a talented, evolutionary Paul Pierce. Can't believe as a Celtics fan he would enjoy watching him play.

#2C4S
Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Dthefritz » 17 Nov 2017, 13:33

TheWolf wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Fair. You can imagine why I might have interpreted that as a needless Boston shoehorn. But please accept my apologies for this misunderstanding.

Of course. That goes without saying.

The issue here is that Bill, like many sportswriters, loves attaching some kind of moral or psychological reason why a player's career didn't quite measure up to what he personally thought they were capable of. CWEbb was a really good player. He wasn't as good as Duncan or Shaq, who won 5 titles in a row during Webber's prime, nor were his teams overall as good as theirs. Unfortunately, that doesn't make a sportswriter sound like a smart cookie, so he has to combine that with the phantom T.O. at Michigan and the feud with Don Nelson to build some narrative about "mental weakness' or some other nonsense. Bill was spinning the same yarn about KG before he finally got over the hump. And Dirk, too. It drives me nuts.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Gregs Kite » 17 Nov 2017, 13:37

Dthefritz wrote: It drives me nuts.

Then by all means continue to read his writing. :beatsme:

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Rufus » 17 Nov 2017, 13:55

In 2017, thanks to better competition and superior training/dieting/sleep/mental intelligence, just about every good player maximizes his potential. We’ve never had a smaller group of Shoulda Coulda Woulda Guys. Thank God for Markelle Fultz. (Sorry, I had to.)

Didn't he just say on a podcast that he wants Fultz to be good even though the Celtics (essentially) traded him? Then he comes in and takes a pointless potshot at Fultz in this column while salivating over Philly.
Rufus
Wiffle Ball King

Next

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh