Discuss the columns here!

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby TheWolf » 24 Sep 2017, 21:47

Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:Look at his entire career and explain to me how his two titles weren't the result of good fortune.

This is exactly my bone to pick. He's no luckier than any mediocre player who happened to make a big play in a big spot. It doesn't matter how many interceptions he threw in week 12 games over the years, he did what he needed to do in those two SB's. As Jike explained, those plays weren't just blind luck.

Yes, he was fortunate enough to have great teammates and be in a position to win a Super Bowl, but that's true of anybody.

Not in the context of overall careers. Find me a worst two time Super Bowl winning QB. Please. He hucked two throws and they were luckily caught. There is no better "right time right place" QB.

In all seriousness, I think he's a better QB than Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Flacco. On balance, you could argue he played better in those two SB victories than "Ben" played in his, despite his obviously inferior career record. I'm sure in the days before I watched fooobawwr, there were other non-great QB's who won Super Bowls.

But I stand my original point. Shitty players making great plays in big moments - it happens in sports. You might even say it's why we watch.

You listed all one time winners, lighting in a bottle champs. Manning won two, which given the overall context of his career, is much more representative of a system QB who made a couple lucky throws.

Again. And please read carefully.... They can be great plays and lucky at the same time.

PS: Thanks Jike. No one knows who that is.

A mediocre player making a great play is not luck. Had Manning thrown a pick, and then Tyree stripped the ball and recovered it, that would have been lucky for him. Him making a great throw, and a receiver making a great catch, is not luck, regardless of anything else they did in their respective careers. If you don't accept that distinction, agree to disagree. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I have no beef with your definition of luck here. But was the helmet catch really a great throw? Maybe I'm biased by my Eli hate, but i always thought he kinda just hucked it up for grabs and Tyree made an insane play.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dthefritz » 24 Sep 2017, 22:03

TheWolf wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:Look at his entire career and explain to me how his two titles weren't the result of good fortune.

This is exactly my bone to pick. He's no luckier than any mediocre player who happened to make a big play in a big spot. It doesn't matter how many interceptions he threw in week 12 games over the years, he did what he needed to do in those two SB's. As Jike explained, those plays weren't just blind luck.

Yes, he was fortunate enough to have great teammates and be in a position to win a Super Bowl, but that's true of anybody.

Not in the context of overall careers. Find me a worst two time Super Bowl winning QB. Please. He hucked two throws and they were luckily caught. There is no better "right time right place" QB.

In all seriousness, I think he's a better QB than Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Flacco. On balance, you could argue he played better in those two SB victories than "Ben" played in his, despite his obviously inferior career record. I'm sure in the days before I watched fooobawwr, there were other non-great QB's who won Super Bowls.

But I stand my original point. Shitty players making great plays in big moments - it happens in sports. You might even say it's why we watch.

You listed all one time winners, lighting in a bottle champs. Manning won two, which given the overall context of his career, is much more representative of a system QB who made a couple lucky throws.

Again. And please read carefully.... They can be great plays and lucky at the same time.

PS: Thanks Jike. No one knows who that is.

A mediocre player making a great play is not luck. Had Manning thrown a pick, and then Tyree stripped the ball and recovered it, that would have been lucky for him. Him making a great throw, and a receiver making a great catch, is not luck, regardless of anything else they did in their respective careers. If you don't accept that distinction, agree to disagree. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I have no beef with your definition of luck here. But was the helmet catch really a great throw? Maybe I'm biased by my Eli hate, but i always thought he kinda just hucked it up for grabs and Tyree made an insane play.

Eli did a great job to avoid getting sacked, re-establish balance/position and then throw a catchable ball, albeit one that required a pretty heroic catch. I think credit is roughly 60/40 Tyree/Eli give or take.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 24 Sep 2017, 23:00

Phil Simms has 2 rings. So, yeah....
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby JichaelDick » 25 Sep 2017, 00:06

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Phil Simms has 2 rings. So, yeah....

Technically, he only won one Superb Owl.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 25 Sep 2017, 06:29

JichaelDick wrote:

shh shhh shh shhhhhhhhhhh

he has 2 more rings than his son has spleens
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby the cheese » 25 Sep 2017, 10:15

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

shh shhh shh shhhhhhhhhhh

he has 2 more rings than his son has spleens

Best damn OU QB that ever played for Texas.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Goose » 25 Sep 2017, 10:34

This chucklehead has four rings.

He's a career 52% passer and threw 212 TD and 210 Int over 14 seasons. Different era, blah, blah, blah.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby JT99 » 25 Sep 2017, 10:37

Bradshaw was a fucking stud in their third and fourth Superb Owls.

I will not stand for this sullying any longer. That man was FEARED
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 25 Sep 2017, 10:48

JT99 wrote:Bradshaw was a fucking stud in their third and fourth Superb Owls.

He's still a chucklehead though.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby the cheese » 25 Sep 2017, 10:53

MisterTambourineMan wrote:

Go easy on that main. He's had more concussions than you've had pieces of ass.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 25 Sep 2017, 10:55

the cheese wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:

Go easy on that main. He's had more concussions than you've had pieces of ass.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Incogneetus69 » 25 Sep 2017, 11:39

Who cares if they kneel it's a song. America isn't red white and blue or the Statue of Liberty. It's the idea that we're fucking free. They're free to kneel and I'm ok with that but we should be free to openly discuss that they're kneeling based on bullshit ambiguous inequality that hasn't been backed up with any data or stats.
Incogneetus69
Another dude worth meeting

Postby ctz31 » 25 Sep 2017, 11:58

Eli got lucky to win his superbowls. I can't even with pats fans. Brady has been gifted at least 2 maybe 3 superbowls, in the most absurdly lucky ways imaginable. And they pick out two late superbowl game winning drives by eli where he made fantastic throws and call them lucky. These people deserve all of the karma.
ctz31
#nnf

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 25 Sep 2017, 11:59

Eli Manning is the best QB of all time if you go by the "To Be The Man You Have To Beat The Man" theorem.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Briandong79 » 25 Sep 2017, 12:00

To me Eli is the worst QB that has won multiple Super Bowls. I haven't watched as much game tape on Bob Griese as Jike, though.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

PreviousNext

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh