Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Discuss the columns here!

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby TheWolf » 24 Sep 2017, 21:47

Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:Look at his entire career and explain to me how his two titles weren't the result of good fortune.

This is exactly my bone to pick. He's no luckier than any mediocre player who happened to make a big play in a big spot. It doesn't matter how many interceptions he threw in week 12 games over the years, he did what he needed to do in those two SB's. As Jike explained, those plays weren't just blind luck.

Yes, he was fortunate enough to have great teammates and be in a position to win a Super Bowl, but that's true of anybody.


Not in the context of overall careers. Find me a worst two time Super Bowl winning QB. Please. He hucked two throws and they were luckily caught. There is no better "right time right place" QB.

In all seriousness, I think he's a better QB than Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Flacco. On balance, you could argue he played better in those two SB victories than "Ben" played in his, despite his obviously inferior career record. I'm sure in the days before I watched fooobawwr, there were other non-great QB's who won Super Bowls.

But I stand my original point. Shitty players making great plays in big moments - it happens in sports. You might even say it's why we watch.



You listed all one time winners, lighting in a bottle champs. Manning won two, which given the overall context of his career, is much more representative of a system QB who made a couple lucky throws.

Again. And please read carefully.... They can be great plays and lucky at the same time.


PS: Thanks Jike. No one knows who that is.

A mediocre player making a great play is not luck. Had Manning thrown a pick, and then Tyree stripped the ball and recovered it, that would have been lucky for him. Him making a great throw, and a receiver making a great catch, is not luck, regardless of anything else they did in their respective careers. If you don't accept that distinction, agree to disagree. Seems pretty straightforward to me.


I have no beef with your definition of luck here. But was the helmet catch really a great throw? Maybe I'm biased by my Eli hate, but i always thought he kinda just hucked it up for grabs and Tyree made an insane play.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 18422
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby Dthefritz » 24 Sep 2017, 22:03

TheWolf wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:Look at his entire career and explain to me how his two titles weren't the result of good fortune.

This is exactly my bone to pick. He's no luckier than any mediocre player who happened to make a big play in a big spot. It doesn't matter how many interceptions he threw in week 12 games over the years, he did what he needed to do in those two SB's. As Jike explained, those plays weren't just blind luck.

Yes, he was fortunate enough to have great teammates and be in a position to win a Super Bowl, but that's true of anybody.


Not in the context of overall careers. Find me a worst two time Super Bowl winning QB. Please. He hucked two throws and they were luckily caught. There is no better "right time right place" QB.

In all seriousness, I think he's a better QB than Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Flacco. On balance, you could argue he played better in those two SB victories than "Ben" played in his, despite his obviously inferior career record. I'm sure in the days before I watched fooobawwr, there were other non-great QB's who won Super Bowls.

But I stand my original point. Shitty players making great plays in big moments - it happens in sports. You might even say it's why we watch.



You listed all one time winners, lighting in a bottle champs. Manning won two, which given the overall context of his career, is much more representative of a system QB who made a couple lucky throws.

Again. And please read carefully.... They can be great plays and lucky at the same time.


PS: Thanks Jike. No one knows who that is.

A mediocre player making a great play is not luck. Had Manning thrown a pick, and then Tyree stripped the ball and recovered it, that would have been lucky for him. Him making a great throw, and a receiver making a great catch, is not luck, regardless of anything else they did in their respective careers. If you don't accept that distinction, agree to disagree. Seems pretty straightforward to me.


I have no beef with your definition of luck here. But was the helmet catch really a great throw? Maybe I'm biased by my Eli hate, but i always thought he kinda just hucked it up for grabs and Tyree made an insane play.

Eli did a great job to avoid getting sacked, re-establish balance/position and then throw a catchable ball, albeit one that required a pretty heroic catch. I think credit is roughly 60/40 Tyree/Eli give or take.
User avatar
Dthefritz
tl;dr
 
Posts: 7474
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:35
Location: In the green, never in between

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 24 Sep 2017, 23:00

Phil Simms has 2 rings. So, yeah....
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
User avatar
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot
 
Posts: 12487
Joined: 22 Oct 2007, 13:09
Location: Virginia

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby JichaelDick » 25 Sep 2017, 00:06

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Phil Simms has 2 rings. So, yeah....


Technically, he only won one Superb Owl.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 26099
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Salivating

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 25 Sep 2017, 06:29

JichaelDick wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Phil Simms has 2 rings. So, yeah....


Technically, he only won one Superb Owl.



shh shhh shh shhhhhhhhhhh

Image

he has 2 more rings than his son has spleens
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
User avatar
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot
 
Posts: 12487
Joined: 22 Oct 2007, 13:09
Location: Virginia

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby the cheese » 25 Sep 2017, 10:15

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Phil Simms has 2 rings. So, yeah....


Technically, he only won one Superb Owl.



shh shhh shh shhhhhhhhhhh

Image

he has 2 more rings than his son has spleens


Best damn OU QB that ever played for Texas.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby Goose » 25 Sep 2017, 10:34

This chucklehead has four rings.

Image

He's a career 52% passer and threw 212 TD and 210 Int over 14 seasons. Different era, blah, blah, blah.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
User avatar
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: 03 May 2006, 10:09
Location: Temple Terrace Hooters, waiting on Shamgod

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby JT99 » 25 Sep 2017, 10:37

Bradshaw was a fucking stud in their third and fourth Superb Owls.

I will not stand for this sullying any longer. That man was FEARED
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.


BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
User avatar
JT99
Between Bannings
 
Posts: 9800
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 22:58
Location: Bluesville

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 25 Sep 2017, 10:48

JT99 wrote:Bradshaw was a fucking stud in their third and fourth Superb Owls.

I will not stand for this sullying any longer. That man was FEARED


Image



He's still a chucklehead though.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13053
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby the cheese » 25 Sep 2017, 10:53

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
JT99 wrote:Bradshaw was a fucking stud in their third and fourth Superb Owls.

I will not stand for this sullying any longer. That man was FEARED


Image



He's still a chucklehead though.


Go easy on that main. He's had more concussions than you've had pieces of ass.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18427
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 25 Sep 2017, 10:55

the cheese wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
JT99 wrote:Bradshaw was a fucking stud in their third and fourth Superb Owls.

I will not stand for this sullying any longer. That man was FEARED


Image



He's still a chucklehead though.


Go easy on that main. He's had more concussions than you've had pieces of ass.


Image
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13053
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby Incogneetus69 » 25 Sep 2017, 11:39

Who cares if they kneel it's a song. America isn't red white and blue or the Statue of Liberty. It's the idea that we're fucking free. They're free to kneel and I'm ok with that but we should be free to openly discuss that they're kneeling based on bullshit ambiguous inequality that hasn't been backed up with any data or stats.
User avatar
Incogneetus69
Another dude worth meeting
 
Posts: 563
Joined: 25 Mar 2010, 01:46

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby ctz31 » 25 Sep 2017, 11:58

Eli got lucky to win his superbowls. I can't even with pats fans. Brady has been gifted at least 2 maybe 3 superbowls, in the most absurdly lucky ways imaginable. And they pick out two late superbowl game winning drives by eli where he made fantastic throws and call them lucky. These people deserve all of the karma.
User avatar
ctz31
#nnf
 
Posts: 9693
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 10:06
Location: Why did I come to Buffalo???

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 25 Sep 2017, 11:59

Eli Manning is the best QB of all time if you go by the "To Be The Man You Have To Beat The Man" theorem.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18376
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: Ballbag Bill does a Mailbag 9.22.17

Postby Briandong79 » 25 Sep 2017, 12:00

To me Eli is the worst QB that has won multiple Super Bowls. I haven't watched as much game tape on Bob Griese as Jike, though.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31143
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

PreviousNext

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest