Lottery Karma Ratings

Discuss the columns here!

Lottery Karma Ratings

Postby JichaelDick » 16 May 2017, 08:13

TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Re: Lottery Karma Ratings

Postby mj3528 » 16 May 2017, 08:58

Haven't read it, how does he justify the Celtics for having the most karma to win the draft lottery?
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby TheWolf » 16 May 2017, 09:02

Haven't read it, but I look forward to the Balls/dtf/Brandon comments. It sounds atrocious based on the headline.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Briandong79 » 16 May 2017, 09:06

mj3528 wrote:

Haven't read it, how does he justify the Celtics for having the most karma to win the draft lottery?

Dead last. Reverse jinx!!

ETA: The Heat at #2. Yeah those poor guys really deserve a break.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 16 May 2017, 10:33

Ranking the Knicks #1 after the Dolan-Oakley and Phil Jackson mess is like making a world karmic ranking and somehow slotting 2017 USA #1.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Dthefritz » 16 May 2017, 17:36

TheWolf wrote:Haven't read it, but I look forward to the Balls/dtf/Brandon comments. It sounds atrocious based on the headline.

Perceptive fellow over here.

The embattled Kings fans deserve the no. 1 pick more than any other fan base, but their bumbling front office deserves it the least.

And here's everything that's wrong with the column in one sentence: There's no good way to resolve the above contradiction for any of the teams involved here. How are the Knicks fans more deserving than the Kings? Why is Dolan somehow less detestable than Vivek or Phil less than Vlade? I'm almost 100% sure he just stuck "us" at #1 so he can bring it up the next time somebody accuses him of being biased against the Knicks.

Also, a little pet peeve in general:
Five years of post-Dwight rebuilding has yielded zero All-Stars, zero future All-Stars, four lost lottery picks

Look - I'm not saying the Magic have done an awesome job or anything. Hennigan 100% screwed up. But it's not like the Magic had an easy route to a rebuild. Their picks were:
#2 in a horrendous draft. (Oladipo. The right pick).
#4 Gordon - not a future all-star, but I would be shocked if any of the 5 guys picked after him (Exum, Smart, Randle, Stauskas, Vonleh) ever make an all-star team either.
#12 Saric - traded for Peyton, probably got the short end of the stick on that trade, but given that Saric didn't play for another 2 years, it definitely made sense at the time.
#5 Hezonja - definitely a whiff, but again none of the 5 guys picked after him (Cauley-Stein, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Kaminsky, Winslow) are likely ever to make an all-star team. Next pick after that was Myles Turner, but that would have been a pretty big reach.
# 12- Sabonis - traded in the Ibaka deal. Of the 5 guys picked after him, only Juancho Hernangomez has seen much PT so far.

So look - it's easy for Mr. "I'm smarter than every GM" to excoriate Orlando for not somehow finding the next LeBron, but they would have had to reach WAY WAY down below any kind of consensus to find even an all-star at any point that they drafted. Not to say they did a good job, but plenty of teams tank and can't find a good guy to build around. It's not an automatic recipe for success.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Rufus » 17 May 2017, 11:44

By his own criteria of rewarding 'smart' teams who tried over dumb teams who didn't, Boston should've ranked much higher, but he clearly didn't want to hear about how biased he was. Thank God the Celtics wisely cashed in the KG chip that McHale gifted them to accept a completely batshit stupid offer from Brooklyn so they can land yet another potentially franchise-changing star without giving up anything.

Also, there's no way the Knicks should've ranked 1st by his own criteria. Dallas should've been much higher (although Cuban did just admit today that his team tanked once they were out of the race, so who knows).
Rufus
Wiffle Ball King

Postby Dthefritz » 17 May 2017, 18:01

Rufus wrote:By his own criteria of rewarding 'smart' teams who tried over dumb teams who didn't

Smart teams that tried would nominally include Dallas, but the "smart move" for them would be to tank, which they have decided not to do out of loyalty to Dirk. Are the fans therefore "tortured" for watching a crappy team try? Or are the fans happy for the franchise's signature player to go down swinging, no matter how many years it delays their eventual rebuild? It's hard for a non-Dallas fan to answer that question.

There are some interesting questions here. But when you leave it to Bill to unilaterally decide between who's dumb vs. unlucky, what's a business decision vs. a sports decision, and what every fan of every team is thinking or feeling at a given moment, you get this nonsense.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh