Isaiah and LeBron

Discuss the columns here!

Re: Isaiah and LeBron

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 15 May 2017, 14:57

Gregs Kite wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
Dthefritz wrote: and whine about the Celtics not getting Durant, as if it was their god-given right.

I, much like Bill, did not anticipate Durant being such a pussy so I fully support this whining. If you can't sign the best free agent without all his buddies on your team, or a previously manufactured championship roster, then yeah, you have every right to bitch about it.

Enjoyed the article, though. Good stuff, as usual.

So what reason should Durant have signed with Boston over all the other teams pursuing him?

Enough cap space to bring one of his buddies, top draft picks in the upcoming drafts, and easier conference to deal with. The only situation better for him than Boston was Golden State, and that was borderline crazy because why, if he had any competitive fire at all, would he join them?

So he's a pussy for playing with his buddies but should have signed with a team that could have signed another of his buddies (why go with 1 over 2 or more? Isn't he still a pussy for signing with friends? Why do you want a pussy?). And isn't signing in an easier conference a pussy move? Why does someone in his prime want to sign somewhere because of high draft picks down the road? What shows more competitive fire: signing in the tougher conference or the easier conference?
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Gregs Kite » 15 May 2017, 15:03

Pace yourself dude. Jeepers.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Dthefritz » 15 May 2017, 17:32

Even if there was a good case for Durant going to Boston, there is no way the Celtics front office was "devastated" [in Bill's words] by his choosing to sign elsewhere. Durant was never theirs, and they never sacrificed anything substantial to try and sign him.

On top of all that, Boston didn't offer Durant the most money, or the best opportunity at winning a title. While the backlash to him leaving wouldn't be nearly as bad as it was for GS, there would still have a been a backlash for leaving the team that drafted him and was just five wins away from a title the year before. If he was going to leave, he had better be damn sure he was going to win a title and fast. Anybody with a brain realizes that, but of course Boston fans have gotten so up their ass with self-righteous, self-justifying, insufferable, whiny bullshit that they actually believe OTHER people believe it, including prospective free agents. The disconnect from reality is goddamn hilarious.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby chrisco » 15 May 2017, 18:03

Yup just another day on SOTSG where we talk about what someone did in the off-season and which magical rules apply to that decision instead of the playoff game involving the Celtics tonight.

Whatta sport!
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Dthefritz » 15 May 2017, 18:09

chrisco wrote:Yup just another day on SOTSG where we talk about what someone did in the off-season and which magical rules apply to that decision instead of the playoff game involving the Celtics tonight.

Whatta sport!

Just another column by Bill Simmons where he talked about what someone did in the off-season and which magical rules apply to that decision, instead of anything to do with the current NBA playoffs.

Whatta thread devoted to said column!
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby chrisco » 15 May 2017, 18:12

Dthefritz wrote:
chrisco wrote:Yup just another day on SOTSG where we talk about what someone did in the off-season and which magical rules apply to that decision instead of the playoff game involving the Celtics tonight.

Whatta sport!

Just another column by Bill Simmons where he talked about what someone did in the off-season and which magical rules apply to that decision, instead of anything to do with the current NBA playoffs.

Let me know when we get back to talking about the summer Ray Allen's wife swam in a pool outside of Hartford. We're due to discuss that soon, right?
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Dthefritz » 15 May 2017, 18:21

chrisco wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Whatta sport!

Let me know when we get back to talking about the summer Ray Allen's wife swam in a pool outside of Hartford. We're due to discuss that soon, right?

OK...Celtics will win tonight. The home team has won every matchup both in this series and the regular season, and Washington is counting on too many wild cards and spare parts to buck the trend against a deeper, better-coached team. John Wall will score a bunch of points and dish out a bunch of assists, and do just about everything to help his team win, but will still get called a loser choke artist because people are terrible.

In case any of you haven't read any opinions on the internet saying the exact same thing.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 16 May 2017, 18:02

Holy shit. At first I thought Kite was trolling the board in thinking that Durant going to Boston was the correct or courageous choice but he was serious to the point where he defended it.

So we're clear, Boston made no more sense than New York, Phoenix, Utah, or name any other random team. They just have history and a dipshit NBA writer who talks about them all the time (and we talk about him all the time).
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum

Postby Gregs Kite » 16 May 2017, 18:14

Explain how Utah, Phoenix or New York made more sense than Boston.

Thanks Pete.

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 16 May 2017, 18:20

They didn't make LESS. That's my point. Bill just randomly picks Boston, like he did with TWO fantasy choose your own adventure articles about D. Cousins. Boston isn't an NBA player these days except that they struck gold with Isaiah Thomas and made a ballsy hire in Stevens.

I could have picked Minnesota, Orlando, and Charlotte. The Celtics weren't any sort of "runners-up" in the KD sweepstakes. Going back to OKC probably was. That's all.

And it's "Thank you, Pete" if you're going to mock me.
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum

Postby Dthefritz » 16 May 2017, 18:32

Seahawks XL Champs wrote:They didn't make LESS. That's my point. Bill just randomly picks Boston, like he did with TWO fantasy choose your own adventure articles about D. Cousins. Boston isn't an NBA player these days except that they struck gold with Isaiah Thomas and made a ballsy hire in Stevens.

I could have picked Minnesota, Orlando, and Charlotte. The Celtics weren't any sort of "runners-up" in the KD sweepstakes. Going back to OKC probably was. That's all.

I know your point was that Boston is not the center of the NBA universe that its fans imagine it to be, and that's correct, but I don't you've fully comprehended the heart of spergness you're dealing with here. Now he's going to go ultra-pedantic about Minnesota or Phoenix being worse teams than Boston right now, and then use that as a strawman to berate both you and the entire board for weeks, if not years.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Gregs Kite » 17 May 2017, 06:37

Seahawks XL Champs wrote:They didn't make LESS. That's my point. Bill just randomly picks Boston, like he did with TWO fantasy choose your own adventure articles about D. Cousins. Boston isn't an NBA player these days except that they struck gold with Isaiah Thomas and made a ballsy hire in Stevens.

They absolutely made less sense. How is the even debatable? He ended up signing with Golden State, presumably because he wanted to win a championship. Im not picking Boston out of thin air here. They had the cap space, the rising team, and a good situation for a player that wanted to win. This isn't DTF's cartoony FACKIN HOMAH-ISMS, KIDDD. This is fact.

He clearly didn't want to go back to play with Westbrook, so I don't think OKC was the runner-up. It was Golden State and Boston that made the most sense, presuming Durant was looking for a team with a chance to compete for a title.

Dthefritz wrote:I know your point was that Boston is not the center of the NBA universe that its fans imagine it to be, and that's correct, but I don't you've fully comprehended the heart of spergness you're dealing with here. Now he's going to go ultra-pedantic about Minnesota or Phoenix being worse teams than Boston right now, and then use that as a strawman to berate both you and the entire board for weeks, if not years.

Imagine the horror of reading someone bray on and on about something people barely care about for months and weeks. Horrific.

By the way, how's Bill's latest Ringer article?

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Dthefritz » 17 May 2017, 07:51

1 - You're implying that Durant put a higher priority on leaving Westbrook than winning. disagree strongly, although there's no way to prove it one way or another.
2 - coming up with a bunch of reasons why player X should sign with your team and then excoriating him for not doing it is stupid, no matter how valid the reasons are. it was dumb when a contingent of Knicks fans said lebron was a pussy for not signing there, and it's dumb when youse guys are doing it now. there are differences, but the principle is the same.
3 - I had a pretty good point about simmons armchair GMing in his latest column for theringer.com. I welcome any constructive feedback. have a pleasant day!
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby JT99 » 17 May 2017, 07:55

Dthefritz wrote:1 - You're implying that Durant put a higher priority on leaving Westbrook than winning. disagree strongly, although there's no way to prove it one way or another.
2 - coming up with a bunch of reasons why player X should sign with your team and then excoriating him for not doing it is stupid, no matter how valid the reasons are. it was dumb when a contingent of Knicks fans said lebron was a pussy for not signing there, and it's dumb when youse guys are doing it now. there are differences, but the principle is the same.
3 - I had a pretty good point about simmons armchair GMing in his latest column for theringer.com. I welcome any constructive feedback. have a pleasant day!

Which site do you think that you are on?
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Gregs Kite » 17 May 2017, 07:57

Dthefritz wrote:1 - You're implying that Durant put a higher priority on leaving Westbrook than winning. disagree strongly, although there's no way to prove it one way or another.

Allow me to present the fact that Kevin Durant no longer plays in OKC as a way to prove this.

How dare you. I take my sprots fandom extremely seriously and would never desecrate the sanctity of it but wildly lashing out with hyperbolic statements. Now you wanna talk about something really meaningless and dumb like politics, then get your popcorn and whiskey ready because shit is about to hit the fan and stuff and Russia.

Cool. Looking forward to skimming it. :thumbsup:

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

PreviousNext

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh