Blogger Bill Talks NBA MVP

Discuss the columns here!

Blogger Bill Talks NBA MVP

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 14 Apr 2017, 10:02

https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-2017 ... 617e8d5df5

He picked Harden. Saved you a click.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Re: Blogger Bill Talks NBA MVP

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 14 Apr 2017, 12:40

I rarely agree with Bill, but he made one good point. Curry's season last year beats the CRAP out of any of these guys this year. I still like him for first team all-nba over Westbrook, and think he's a better player.

I also think Harden is the right choice.
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum

Postby Goose » 14 Apr 2017, 13:48

I thought LeBron was the best player in the NBA. Is this like when Derrick Rose got picked b/c everybody was tired of voting for LeBron?
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby mj3528 » 14 Apr 2017, 13:52

Goose wrote:I thought LeBron was the best player in the NBA. Is this like when Derrick Rose got picked b/c everybody was tired of voting for LeBron?

LeBron is the best player in the NBA. However, there are strong arguments that statistically Westbrook and Harden are having better seasons. It is not a Barkley or Malone over Jordan situation.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby JichaelDick » 14 Apr 2017, 14:26

This is all gonna be hilarious when OKC beats Houston in the first round.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Dthefritz » 15 Apr 2017, 15:22

Harden's a perfectly fine choice for MVP and his logic for the choice is uncharacteristically unterrible. However, his anti-Westbrook arguments are just dumb.

Remember when we came out of the 2016 playoffs raving about how much we liked Steven Adams, Enes Kanter, and Andre Roberson?

Uhm sure, I guess?

Why didn’t they get any better? Why wasn’t Adams as devastating in OKC as the Capela-Nene-Harrell trio was for Houston?
Because he's one player and they're three?

Why wasn’t Oladipo BETTER on a much better team?

Considering he shot more [slightly] than he did in Orlando, I think that's rather his own fault, wouldn't you say? And despite how impressive he was in person when you and Jalen "interviewed" him on your terrible podcast, he's not the second coming of Manu Ginobili or Joe Dumars. He's talented but nothing special.

Why did they dump Ersan Ilyasova after only three games, and why wasn’t it a bigger deal when he thrived in Philly and Atlanta?

Ersan Ilyasova is a replacement-level player who didn't fit with OKC's system. Are we also going to ask Bucks-era Andrew Bogut why he failed to develop Ilyasova with his inspirational leadership?

Why such a wasted rookie year for Domantas Sabonis?

No rookie has ever struggled in the NBA before Westbrook ruined the game with his selfishness!

Everyone acts like Russ is playing with the Washington Generals — he has two top-three lottery picks

In two terrible drafts. The guy picked directly ahead of Oladipo [Anthony Bennett] is currently playing in Turkey. The guy picked directly ahead of Enes Kanter [Derrick Williams] is currently averaging 6 ppg at the shallow end of the Cavs bench. HOW HAS LEBRON FAILED TO ELEVATE A FORMER #2 PICK TO SUPERSTARDOM? WHY IS THE MEDIA NOT COVERING THIS? IS HE SECRETLY NOT AS GOOD AS "WE" ALL THINK?

Kanter and Oladipo have near-max deals.

For guys coming off their rookie contracts, which is a completely different scale than max contracts for veterans like LeBron or Westbrook. You're obviously misleading people into thinking these guys are superstar caliber players when they are clearly not.

And if you were in doubt about what a fucking turd this guy is, he doubles down on blaming Dwight Howard for James Harden's struggles last year. For the record, D12 played on a torn MCL in the 2015 playoffs, and then came off offseason surgery to play 71 games, in which he performed well enough to earn an $100 million contract despite his age and injury history. James Harden failed to play a minute of defense last season lest he puke Ciroc and cheeseburgers all over the hardwood. But that was entirely due to Howard desecrating the altar of Larry Bird with his disrespectful antics!
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 17 Apr 2017, 09:54

Dthefritz wrote:You're obviously misleading people into thinking these guys are superstar caliber players when they are clearly not.

And if you were in doubt about what a fucking turd this guy is, he doubles down on blaming Dwight Howard for James Harden's struggles last year. For the record, D12 played on a torn MCL in the 2015 playoffs, and then came off offseason surgery to play 71 games, in which he performed well enough to earn an $100 million contract despite his age and injury history. James Harden failed to play a minute of defense last season lest he puke Ciroc and cheeseburgers all over the hardwood. But that was entirely due to Howard desecrating the altar of Larry Bird with his disrespectful antics!

Concur, Harden's a fine pick but let's not act like OKC wouldn't be worse than the Wolves if Westbrook wasn't there. Adams isn't a top ten big, Oladipo is still developing, Kanter is the big man equivalent of Nate Robinson, and who in the fuck was high on Andre Roberson? He is what he is. Its disingenuous.

That Ciroc and cheeseburger line....

TheWolf - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: BREAKING: wolfette did not come home to blow me
Briandong79 - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: 31, you're up.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby the cheese » 17 Apr 2017, 13:17

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:You're obviously misleading people into thinking these guys are superstar caliber players when they are clearly not.

Concur, Harden's a fine pick but let's not act like OKC wouldn't be worse than the Wolves if Westbrook wasn't there. Adams isn't a top ten big, Oladipo is still developing, Kanter is the big man equivalent of Nate Robinson, and who in the fuck was high on Andre Roberson? He is what he is. Its disingenuous.

Goddamn it, this. The supporting cast is what kept them out of the finals year, that and Durant deciding in advance of the Warriors series that he wanted to play with his buddy Draymond so he fucking gacked the whole thing up 3-1.

Literally, the only three guys on the team with a positive VORP are Adams, Russ, and Roberson, and Roberson is a 1.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Briandong79 » 17 Apr 2017, 17:11

the cheese wrote:

Goddamn it, this. The supporting cast is what kept them out of the finals year, that and Durant deciding in advance of the Warriors series that he wanted to play with his buddy Draymond so he fucking gacked the whole thing up 3-1.

Literally, the only three guys on the team with a positive VORP are Adams, Russ, and Roberson, and Roberson is a 1.

1, that's not true, Basketball Reference has Adams, Russ, Roberson, Oladipo, Kanter, Grant and something called Huestis with positive VORP.

2, I didn't even know anyone used VORP in any sport but baseball. Use PER like a regular basketball nerd.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby mj3528 » 17 Apr 2017, 17:13

Briandong79 wrote:
the cheese wrote:

1, that's not true, Basketball Reference has Adams, Russ, Roberson, Oladipo, Kanter, Grant and something called Huestis with positive VORP.

2, I didn't even know anyone used VORP in any sport but baseball. Use PER like a regular basketball nerd.

And their meltdown in game 6 against OKC kept them out of the finals. I guess some credit goes to the Warriors, but the Thunder had that game and the series.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 18 Apr 2017, 10:03

mj3528 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
the cheese wrote:

And their meltdown in game 6 against OKC kept them out of the finals. I guess some credit goes to the Warriors, but the Thunder had that game and the series.

And good point Dong, but cheese's point still stands. Russ ain't hogging the ball from the Harlem Globetrotters over there. Shit they caught Donovan saying in game 1 "Can't play Kanter."
TheWolf - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: BREAKING: wolfette did not come home to blow me
Briandong79 - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: 31, you're up.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh