Something about Westbrook

Discuss the columns here!

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby JichaelDick » 14 Mar 2017, 20:04

To be fair, Showtime was so frightened by that 1986 Celtics team and Billy Walton that they intentionally lost to Houston in the Western Conference Finals
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Incogneetus69 » 14 Mar 2017, 20:48

I used to read the fuck out of his Columns. Even when he started talking like a dickhead. I just can't do it anymore . He wastes so many words.
Incogneetus69
Another dude worth meeting

Postby Dthefritz » 14 Mar 2017, 21:09

Incogneetus69 wrote:I used to read the fuck out of his Columns. Even when he started talking like a dickhead. I just can't do it anymore . He wastes so many words.

Yeah, I can't even break down the full columns anymore. This one only went like a quarter of the way through.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 15 Mar 2017, 17:32

Dthefritz wrote:
Seahawks XL Champs wrote:Only sort of related, but Bill completely overrates 1977 Portland as an all-time great team. They were like a 4-seed, didn't have a great record, etc etc. He says one thing and just goes with it. I think it's because he is buds w/ Walton.

Yeah, but they truly played together as a team, unlike the me-first douchebags of the Showtime Lakers. Who, of course, were vanquished with the help of none other than William Theodore Walton III, registering a haunting and powerful 8 ppg/7rpg season with the GOAT 1986 Celtics en route to the title.

BUT BUT BUT the magic that was created by those two in Bill W's 15-20 minutes a game, along with the reaction of the Beantown crowd when he removed his warmups, that can't be discounted!

Anyway, fine on the 1986 Celtics and props to the 1977 Blazers for sweeping an in his prime Kareem on the way to a ring, but they were a one-hit wonder who had no discernable difference from the 1975 Warriors, 1978 Bullets, or 1979 Sonics, who also won once.
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum

Postby JichaelDick » 15 Mar 2017, 18:04

The 1978 Blazers were 50-10, then Walton broke his foot. It's possible they could have become a dynasty, but he was always going to have foot problems, and for that reason the Blazers were never truly going to be a dynasty the way Simpson thinks.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 15 Mar 2017, 18:32

JichaelDick wrote:The 1978 Blazers were 50-10, then Walton broke his foot. It's possible they could have become a dynasty, but he was always going to have foot problems, and for that reason the Blazers were never truly going to be a dynasty the way Simpson thinks.

Correct. The Rick Barry Warriors made their conference finals the next years after winning a ring, the bullets made the nba finals, etc etc. Just saying (I think you agree) that they no more "played the right way" than anyone else, and he's an idiot.
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum

Postby PhillyJim76 » 16 Mar 2017, 15:19

I still would love to see extended highlights of Bird using only his left hand or running the unstoppable pick and roll with THE GREAT WALTON that Simmons constantly and casually throws out as if it was gospel
It feels so good to be back.
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Postby SGFan » 10 Apr 2017, 15:13

This was the first Ringer article I've read. I thought Simmons made a valid argument, that Westbrook is chasing stats, which is not the point of any team sport, especially basketball. I agree with him. It's very similar to Kobe scoring 35 ppg after Shaq left. Guys in their late 20s, in the prime of their career chasing stats.
SGFan
Hope College Alum

Postby Dthefritz » 10 Apr 2017, 16:39

SGFan wrote:This was the first Ringer article I've read. I thought Simmons made a valid argument, that Westbrook is chasing stats, which is not the point of any team sport, especially basketball. I agree with him. It's very similar to Kobe scoring 35 ppg after Shaq left. Guys in their late 20s, in the prime of their career chasing stats.

The problem is, Bill does a piss poor job explaining away the non-trivial data showing that the Thunder play like shit when he isn't out there on the court. While we can argue all day about how good westbrooks teammates actually are, bill'simmons argument that Westbrook is holding them back even when he's on the bench through sheer selfish monstrosity is very sketchy to me. The fact that it hinges on speculation, armchair psychology and his own illustrious pickup hoops career should be a huge red flag.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mj3528 » 10 Apr 2017, 16:42

Dthefritz wrote:
SGFan wrote:This was the first Ringer article I've read. I thought Simmons made a valid argument, that Westbrook is chasing stats, which is not the point of any team sport, especially basketball. I agree with him. It's very similar to Kobe scoring 35 ppg after Shaq left. Guys in their late 20s, in the prime of their career chasing stats.

The problem is, Bill does a piss poor job explaining away the non-trivial data showing that the Thunder play like shit when he isn't out there on the court. While we can argue all day about how good westbrooks teammates actually are, bill'simmons argument that Westbrook is holding them back even when he's on the bench through sheer selfish monstrosity is very sketchy to me. The fact that it hinges on speculation, armchair psychology and his own illustrious pickup hoops career should be a huge red flag.

Hey, don't disparage the effectiveness and relevance of being able to hiss, "can't stop me" in a pick-up hoops game.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Briandong79 » 11 Apr 2017, 15:35

Dthefritz wrote:

Seems to me, that at least to my simple mind, Simmons' best argument against Westbrook is that the Thunder O/U from before the season basically ended up right at their record, where the Rockets are going to exceed their O/U by 13 or so wins.

It also seems as though Simmons is leaning towards Westbrook now.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Previous

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh