Something about Westbrook

Discuss the columns here!

Something about Westbrook

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 09 Mar 2017, 16:36

Blah blah blah Westbrook is good but is he blah blah blah

Everyone wants slash-and-kick creators and shooters now, and if you glance around the league, the most important assets after our seven superstars (KD, Russ, LeBron, Harden, Curry, Anthony Davis and Kawhi) are point guards, shooters and fledgling unicorns. If you drafted rosters from scratch for a new 30-team league, the first center might not go until the 15–20 range… and it’s probably Nikola Jokic, who just became an impact guy five minutes ago.


Image

KAT averaging something like 28-13 since the New Year. Ok.
TheWolf - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: BREAKING: wolfette did not come home to blow me
Briandong79 - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: 31, you're up.
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 11051
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 09 Mar 2017, 17:35

tl:dr

Holy shit I skimmed it. He should just stick to mailbags with fake questions.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep
 
Posts: 28665
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby Dthefritz » 10 Mar 2017, 00:31

Holy shit and blah blah blah are right. He took a 5 paragraph article and turned it into 20,000 words of masturbatory nonsense. For tradition's sake I will try to tackle as much of this as possible, but I'm honestly at a loss for words. He is the goddamn stupidest, most self-involved, unclever asswipe on the face of planet earth.

Westbrook pushes the ball quickly, skipping along the court like a gymnast building momentum for a double salto with a twist. Right around midcourt, he throws on Terminator sunglasses and calculates the remaining dangers.

Yup, that's exactly what he does. He turns into an athlete from an entirely different sport and then into an action movie character from 33 years ago. This is what basketball is like, reality tv fans!

Russ solves everything in 0.034 seconds, only as he does it, he transforms from the Terminator into a Tesla.

A Tesla?

He always beats the first two guys because they’re backpedaling, and unlike Russ, they’re actually human beings. They never had a chance. But the third guy — he’s always taller and he’s determined to avoid ending up on YouTube or Twitter.

Or he doesn't want to give up a basket, because he's playing defense in a game of basket-ball.

He either wants to block the shot or plow into Russ like a strong safety.

But if he can negotiate an exclusive deal not to end up mocked on social media, he'll give that basket right up!

One problem: Suddenly, Russ is coming right at him. At 75 miles per hour.
The third guy didn’t expect … this.

Why? Because the third guy has never played against the Oklahoma City Thunder in the past 9 years? Because he' s a rookie who hasn't followed the NBA ever?

Instinctively, he loses his balance because that’s what normal human beings do whenever a machine seems intent on pancaking them.

But only a Tesla! If you see a cement truck or a Nissan Altima, you're instincts are probably telling you that everything's OK.

When that happens, Russ makes one of two last-second audibles: Either he veers by the defender and finishes (lefty or righty, doesn’t matter), or he lurches into him, draws contact and tries to finish the “And-1!” layup.

When you're driving full speed at the hoop, and you encounter a defender who holds his position, you will either collide with him or go around him. Also, the angles in a square add up to 360 degrees and water freezes at 32 degrees faranheit. Pay attention kids, you just might learn something from this Bill fella!

Every 10th time, Westbrook’s robot wiring gets double-crossed

BUT HE ALREADY TURNED FROM A TERMINATOR INTO A TESLA! HOW DID HE GO BACK TO BEING A ROBOT SO QUICKLY??? MAN HE'S REALLY SOMETHING. HE'S A TOP 7 ROBOT CAR HYBRID AS I DEFINITIVELY ESTABLISHED IN MY COLUMN LAST WEEK.

and he accidentally bowls the dude over. The other nine times lead to a layup, a foul, a three-point play, or Russ blowing the layup and scowling at an official for the next 30 seconds.

If you drive and there's contact on the attempt, you will either make the layup without a foul being called, make the layup with a foul being called and get a chance for an additional point at the free throw line, miss the layup with a foul and get a chance for two points at the free throw line, or miss the layup with no foul call and earn zero points. Did you know that? I bet you've never had Magic Johnson on YOUR podcast.

In my lifetime, I have seen only four other basketball players turn one-on-three fast breaks into layups whenever they wanted:

Did I ever tell you I watch the NBA and generally know who the really good players are? Let me tell you some shit you already know. Let's skip a head several paragraphs

LeBron cares less about numbers than any all-timer since Bird and Magic 

Bill for like two decades: You peons don't appreciate Tim Duncan! He transcends mere numbers due to his unselfishness.
Bill the first season after he retires: LeBron/Bird/Magic cared about the team. Everybody else good was pretty much a selfish assmuncher.

only once, when he spent the first two months of the 2012–13 season making a genuine effort to shoot 60 percent (and taking only lower-risk shots), did LeBron allow numbers to frame the way he played. Eventually, he realized that wasn’t him.

Or maybe, he was doing it because he was bored after his first title, and then decided to move onto something else equally trivial to assuage his boredom. Not every routine occurrence in basketball is some pivotal moment in the terrible screenplay in your head.

The opposite happened with Westbrook: Freed of sharing the ball with Kevin Durant, he’s chasing numbers like nobody has since Wilt Chamberlain in 1962.

And this is where we get into the real teeth of his idiocy. We are to understand from Bill that Pete Maravich, arguably the biggest show-off, ball-hog, numbers-chaser in NBA history was a winner who was cursed by bad teammates. We are further to understand that Allen Iverson, statistically also one of the biggest ballhogs in NBA history, was a winner who was cursed by bad teammates. But Wilt Chamberlain, who actually won titles and blows the numbers put up by Iverson, maravich, and everybody else in NBA history, was a loser, closeted, pussy who didn't understand the true meaning of Christmas. Shut the fuck up, Bill. Be happy with Russell's 8 gazillion titles.

In fact, even Wilt never hogged the ball like Westbrook does. Statistically, Russell Westbrook is the biggest ball hog of all time.

So the minute he stops engaging in stupid analogies and lunkheaded armchair psychology, he cites a fact and makes a decent point. What are the odds??? So glad he didn't just start his article with this factoid and skip everything above it.

He’s taken the delicate framework of a successful basketball team — five players working together, sharing the ball, making each other better — and thrown it out the window.

Yeah, I forgot how much better Durant made everyone around him, and how much he shared the ball, what with his taking nearly 19 shots per game over the life of his SEA/OKC career.

He’s fueling a Thunder team that’s the complete opposite of the ’77 Blazers, ’86 Celtics, ’05 Suns and ’15 Warriors.

He's the best player on a team that gets outscored when he's on the bench. Let's yell at him for not being on a historically great team with multiple hall of famers!

And he’s incredible to watch. I just want to make that clear … in all caps … I AM ENJOYING THE LIVING HELL OUT OF THIS WESTBROOK SEASON.

Everybody [well mostly everybody] is enjoying the living hell out of his awesome play. That has zero to do with the argument you've introduced.

It’s a spectacular individual achievement that ranks right up there with everything Keanu pulled off in John Wick: Chapter 2. Russ is leaving a body count and doing everything himself. Repeat: everything.

Hey guys who don't watch sports: Just compare Westbrook to John Wick. That will endear you to the people who actually care about this game!

But would you want to play on his team?

Would "I" want to play in the NBA alongside a supremely talented player who gives me a good chance of winning every night? Yes. Yes I would.

Any pickup basketball junkie has dealt with

A set of circumstances that has fucking nothing to do with NBA basketball.

a more annoying, less redeeming version of Westbrook

If he was as redeeming as Westbrook, and I really really cared about winning, I'd get the fuck over it.

You might arrive at the same time as this guy, and he might ask if you want to run with him. Your ensuing split-second decision: “If I say yes, I might get to stay on the court for three hours … but it’s NOT going to be that fun.”

And playing in the NBA has no increased stakes, scrutiny, or any different level of pride or competitiveness on the line. So it's really a perfect analogy when you think about it.

You’re competitive. You say yes. You spend the next two games setting picks, grabbing rebounds and playing defense. (You’re Steven Adams.)

So I'm getting paid $10 million a year to set picks, grab rebounds and play defense? Sign me up!

You’re definitely getting good exercise. (You’re Andre Roberson.)

I get paid to stay in top physical condition, because I'm in the top 0.001% of athletes in the country? How awful!

Every so often, he throws you a pass because he’s triple-teamed; you’re expected to make a wide-open shot even though you’re ice-cold and barely remember what a basketball feels like.

PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL PLAYERS ARE EXPECTED TO MAKE WIDE OPEN SHOTS???? SINCE WHEN????

Once in a while, he feels bad and passes you the ball, so you immediately try to create a shot because you never know when you’re getting the ball back again. (You’re Victor Oladipo.)

I'm a starting shooting guard in the NBA and I'm expected to generate offense with the ball in my hands? I may as well be singing "Go Down, Moses" in the cotton fields of Georgia.

And that’s just how it goes. At some point, you start checking out everyone on the sideline waiting for the next game.

Boy, this analogy isn't falling apart at all. Pro Sports and Pickup Games are the exact same thing, I'm convinced of it.

Do they need a fifth? Wait, I know that guy! Should I hand-signal him that I want in?

HAHAHAHA, you dumbass. You would willingly leave the court on a winning pickup team, and say you have deep insight into the mindset of highly competitive professional athletes? If you ever need proof the man shouldn't be listened to on matters of sports, or anything, there it is.
User avatar
Dthefritz
tl;dr
 
Posts: 6410
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:35
Location: In the green, never in between

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby babylurch » 10 Mar 2017, 06:41

Dthefritz wrote:
Instinctively, he loses his balance because that’s what normal human beings do whenever a machine seems intent on pancaking them.

But only a Tesla! If you see a cement truck or a Nissan Altima, you're instincts are probably telling you that everything's OK.


Is that really a quote? That is a bizarre usage.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
User avatar
babylurch
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: 11 May 2006, 16:07
Location: 2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby Jew Jitsu » 10 Mar 2017, 09:01

The dude just doesn't wanna give up his pick up hoopscomments. Pretty much any PG over the past 15 years had to measure themselves against Bill and how he set up his friends during pick up hoops at Holy Cross lol
ctz31 - Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:19 pm: Also blood people told me no alcohol for 24 hours. I made it 1.5.
User avatar
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 8265
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 15:12
Location: Sunset Blvd., North Pole

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby TheWolf » 10 Mar 2017, 09:04

That was my favorite dtf breakdown in a while. I didn't read any of the column besides the passages you quoted. I enjoyed it a lot. Thank you for sharing.

Just curious: Was there a point he was supposedly trying to make? Or just rambling nonsense?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 15843
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 10 Mar 2017, 09:07

I enjoyed that breakdown, D. Bill is the definition of right place (Boston), right time (early internet). He's so bad.

Greg, any qualms with his post?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep
 
Posts: 28665
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby Gregs Kite » 10 Mar 2017, 09:12

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I enjoyed that breakdown, D. Bill is the definition of right place (Boston), right time (early internet). He's so bad.

Greg, any qualms with his post?


Nope.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
User avatar
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 20298
Joined: 20 Jan 2007, 15:59
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby mj3528 » 10 Mar 2017, 10:32

TheWolf wrote:That was my favorite dtf breakdown in a while. I didn't read any of the column besides the passages you quoted. I enjoyed it a lot. Thank you for sharing.

Just curious: Was there a point he was supposedly trying to make? Or just rambling nonsense?


I agree with The Wolf here. when the article was first posted here, I looked at the length and thought "Nope, hope dthe posts a breakdown" You did, it was good and thank you.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
User avatar
mj3528
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 7980
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 10 Mar 2017, 10:46

TheWolf wrote:That was my favorite dtf breakdown in a while. I didn't read any of the column besides the passages you quoted. I enjoyed it a lot. Thank you for sharing.


Yes, that was fantastic dthe. Showed it was even dumber than I thought it was.

Just curious: Was there a point he was supposedly trying to make? Or just rambling nonsense?


It was rambling nonsense.
TheWolf - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: BREAKING: wolfette did not come home to blow me
Briandong79 - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: 31, you're up.
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 11051
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby JichaelDick » 10 Mar 2017, 10:58

The point was "Westbrook is awesome, but he doesn't understand THE SECRET so the Thunder will never win with him. Durant did, and that's why the Thunder got so close last year, but he was smart enough to know the SECRET was to join a 73-win team."
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 24701
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Dang ol' Arlen, Texas, man

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby jman » 10 Mar 2017, 14:02

Gregs Kite wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I enjoyed that breakdown, D. Bill is the definition of right place (Boston), right time (early internet). He's so bad.

Greg, any qualms with his post?


Nope.


Image
User avatar
jman
Another dude worth meeting
 
Posts: 508
Joined: 11 Nov 2008, 21:35
Location: stayin thirsty

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby bosux » 11 Mar 2017, 13:42

i was hoping this thread was a about brian :^o
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 16611
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby Seahawks XL Champs » 14 Mar 2017, 11:37

Only sort of related, but Bill completely overrates 1977 Portland as an all-time great team. They were like a 4-seed, didn't have a great record, etc etc. He says one thing and just goes with it. I think it's because he is buds w/ Walton.
User avatar
Seahawks XL Champs
Hope College Alum
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 01 May 2008, 15:36

Re: Something about Westbrook

Postby Dthefritz » 14 Mar 2017, 19:30

Seahawks XL Champs wrote:Only sort of related, but Bill completely overrates 1977 Portland as an all-time great team. They were like a 4-seed, didn't have a great record, etc etc. He says one thing and just goes with it. I think it's because he is buds w/ Walton.

Yeah, but they truly played together as a team, unlike the me-first douchebags of the Showtime Lakers. Who, of course, were vanquished with the help of none other than William Theodore Walton III, registering a haunting and powerful 8 ppg/7rpg season with the GOAT 1986 Celtics en route to the title.
User avatar
Dthefritz
tl;dr
 
Posts: 6410
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:35
Location: In the green, never in between

Next

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 3 guests