Bill Simmons Ringer All Patriots Mailbag, GRRRRRRRR lol

Discuss the columns here!

Re: Bill Simmons Ringer All Patriots Mailbag, GRRRRRRRR lol

Postby Gregs Kite » 30 Jan 2017, 09:50

JichaelDick wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:I couldn't even do a breakdown of this. It was just so...nothing. Who's your 36 1/2th favorite Patriot of all time, Bill? Would you trade Tom Brady's socks for two more seasons of White Shadow?

That said, a couple three things:

- This Falcons team is better than the '01 Rams or the '15 Seahawks??? I get that after SB 42, he never wants to be lulled into a false sense of security, and I'm certainly no expert on football, but to me, that seemed like a huge stretch to me.

I feel something coming along...I really do. Hold on.................

IN FAIRNESS, I think his point was he was more confident in the 2001 Patriots over the 2001 Rams and 2014 Patriots over 2014 Seahawks than that he was saying 2016 Falcons > 2001 Rams and 2014 Seahawks. Granted, I'm a pessimistic Falcon fan, but Atlanta did have a tough schedule and did just eviscerate the NFC through the playoffs (something the 2001 Rams and 2014 Seahawks didn't do). I do think he was trying to keep from sounding overconfident and using the 1990s and 2000s Braves foibles as the obvious reason the Pats would win (HI KITE!), but I CAN see thinking the 2016 Patriots might struggle with the 2016 Falcons.

There is no way he can truthfully say he was more confident of the 01 Pats over the 01 Rams.

That was almost certainly hindsight, but I do seem to remember Simpson being cautiously optimistic about New England's chances.

BLASPHEMY! FAKE NEWS! SIMPSON IS A FUCKING IDIOT AND DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE I STILL READ EVERY WORD HE WRITES
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Rufus » 30 Jan 2017, 12:56

JichaelDick wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:I couldn't even do a breakdown of this. It was just so...nothing. Who's your 36 1/2th favorite Patriot of all time, Bill? Would you trade Tom Brady's socks for two more seasons of White Shadow?

- This Falcons team is better than the '01 Rams or the '15 Seahawks??? I get that after SB 42, he never wants to be lulled into a false sense of security, and I'm certainly no expert on football, but to me, that seemed like a huge stretch to me.

IN FAIRNESS, I think his point was he was more confident in the 2001 Patriots over the 2001 Rams and 2014 Patriots over 2014 Seahawks than that he was saying 2016 Falcons > 2001 Rams and 2014 Seahawks. Granted, I'm a pessimistic Falcon fan, but Atlanta did have a tough schedule and did just eviscerate the NFC through the playoffs (something the 2001 Rams and 2014 Seahawks didn't do). I do think he was trying to keep from sounding overconfident and using the 1990s and 2000s Braves foibles as the obvious reason the Pats would win (HI KITE!), but I CAN see thinking the 2016 Patriots might struggle with the 2016 Falcons.

There is no way he can truthfully say he was more confident of the 01 Pats over the 01 Rams.

That was almost certainly hindsight, but I do seem to remember Simpson being cautiously optimistic about New England's chances.

He definitely was. He picked them to win outright. I thought he was being a crazy homer. He probably was, but he was also right, so he doesn't have to cop to it.
Rufus
Poot

Postby ctz31 » 30 Jan 2017, 13:31

Rufus wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

He definitely was. He picked them to win outright. I thought he was being a crazy homer. He probably was, but he was also right, so he doesn't have to cop to it.

Not that surprising. He had seen Belichick do it to one of the greatest offenses in history 10 years earlier at 25. GOAT.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby Dthefritz » 30 Jan 2017, 19:53

Rufus wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

Look, he may well have been convinced the 01 Pats were going to win. My point is that I have a very hard time believing that the Rams and Seahawks teams are somehow worse than Atlanta. I get that his CAMERON IN FERRIS BUELLER MEMORIAL WORRIED-NESS INDEX is partially based on how he feels about his team in those years. But it also seems like he's giving the Falcons way too much credit because a) he doesn't want to look like a horse's anus if they pull off the upset b) because he's a cockwad who loves citing his own analysis, he can say "see, I said the Falcons were really good and therefore the Patriots were underdogs and heroes for winning" or c) some combination thereof.

I mean, for fuck's sake, the Falcons had the 6th worst defense in in the entire NFL, whereas the Patriots gave up the fewest points. I know the Falcons scored the most points, but the Patriots weren't far behind in 3rd place. That's not nearly enough of an advantage to make up that gap. I don't want to sound like I'm doing the same thing I'm accusing Bill of, but New England should be kicking themselves if they don't win this one handily.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Gregs Kite » 30 Jan 2017, 20:08

Might be the most verbose OJOM in this boards history.

I think your argued with yourself in and out of no less than four points there. Impressive.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby chrisco » 30 Jan 2017, 20:16

Dthefritz wrote:
Rufus wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

Look, he may well have been convinced the 01 Pats were going to win. My point is that I have a very hard time believing that the Rams and Seahawks teams are somehow worse than Atlanta. I get that his CAMERON IN FERRIS BUELLER MEMORIAL WORRIED-NESS INDEX is partially based on how he feels about his team in those years. But it also seems like he's giving the Falcons way too much credit because a) he doesn't want to look like a horse's anus if they pull off the upset b) because he's a cockwad who loves citing his own analysis, he can say "see, I said the Falcons were really good and therefore the Patriots were underdogs and heroes for winning" or c) some combination thereof.

I mean, for fuck's sake, the Falcons had the 6th worst defense in in the entire NFL, whereas the Patriots gave up the fewest points. I know the Falcons scored the most points, but the Patriots weren't far behind in 3rd place. That's not nearly enough of an advantage to make up that gap. I don't want to sound like I'm doing the same thing I'm accusing Bill of, but New England should be kicking themselves if they don't win this one handily.

I read this without knowing who wrote it. Halfway through I thought it was Jike. Someone here should be sorry about that.

#SNS
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Dthefritz » 30 Jan 2017, 20:27

Look, I obviously can't prove that I'm not OJOM-ing, but defense wins championships. We might think of the 99 Rams as an offense-only team, but they gave up the 4th fewest points in the NFL. The '09 Saints were at least respectable, at 13th. You can't just gun your way to a title with a shit defense.

Anyway, Simmons is still wrong about the point I cited. I'm sure you can all take it on faith that I believe that much.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby JichaelDick » 30 Jan 2017, 21:13

Dthefritz wrote:Look, I obviously can't prove that I'm not OJOM-ing, but defense wins championships. We might think of the 99 Rams as an offense-only team, but they gave up the 4th fewest points in the NFL. The '09 Saints were at least respectable, at 13th. You can't just gun your way to a title with a shit defense.

Anyway, Simmons is still wrong about the point I cited. I'm sure you can all take it on faith that I believe that much.

It's what worries me the most, honestly. Then again, it's not like New England went up against a murderer's row of offenses. Seriously, they gave up 31 to Seattle in Foxboro and it's not like Seattle is some offensive powerhouse, especially outside CenturyLink.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Dthefritz » 30 Jan 2017, 21:41

JichaelDick wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:Look, I obviously can't prove that I'm not OJOM-ing, but defense wins championships. We might think of the 99 Rams as an offense-only team, but they gave up the 4th fewest points in the NFL. The '09 Saints were at least respectable, at 13th. You can't just gun your way to a title with a shit defense.

It's what worries me the most, honestly. Then again, it's not like New England went up against a murderer's row of offenses. Seriously, they gave up 31 to Seattle in Foxboro and it's not like Seattle is some offensive powerhouse, especially outside CenturyLink.

That's a fair point. However, even going by weighted DVOA rankings, they are still 11th in the NFL to the Falcons 22nd. I know anything can happen, but I don't see how Atlanta's D avoids getting absolutely lit up. In that scenario, all the Pats D needs to do is prevent a score on every drive, something I think they're well up to doing even against a monster offense. The Falcons would need a perfect game a la the 2009 Saints, and frankly I don't think they have it in them.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby JichaelDick » 30 Jan 2017, 21:45

Dthefritz wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

That's a fair point. However, even going by weighted DVOA rankings, they are still 11th in the NFL to the Falcons 22nd. I know anything can happen, but I don't see how Atlanta's D avoids getting absolutely lit up. In that scenario, all the Pats D needs to do is prevent a score on every drive, something I think they're well up to doing even against a monster offense. The Falcons would need a perfect game a la the 2009 Saints, and frankly I don't think they have it in them.

I'm not disagreeing. I'm on record as thinking New England wins. Funnily enough, on those stats you cited, New England is actually WORSE against the pass than Atlanta. But Atlanta is so young on defense that I think Brady torches them. I think it's closer than you do.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 30 Jan 2017, 21:58

Dthefritz wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

That's a fair point.

Is it? Seattle is quarterbacked by THE Russell Wilson. You idiots obviously never watch the games.
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby JichaelDick » 30 Jan 2017, 22:01

Dthefritz wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

That's a fair point.

Is it? Seattle is quarterbacked by THE Russell Wilson. You idiots obviously never watch the games.

I should be more confident, in two games the Falcons gave up 26 and 20 to tha gawd Russell Wilson.

ETA: The best comp to Atlanta having a shot would be the 2011 Giants. They finished 25th in the NFL in points allowed, but improved a ton by playoff time and were playing at least decently, if not good by Super Bowl XLVI. That's an outlier historically, but there are similarities there.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Jan 2017, 07:37

JichaelDick wrote:

The Pats had just traded Jamie Collins and were working new guys into the defense. It would stand to reason the defense that played two months ago is different than the one playing Sunday.

HOWEVA, I am not buying into the numbers. I think this New England defense is good, but it is not the #1 ranked in <insert dork ONTB stat here>. They need to limit Jones, force a turnover or two, and hope Matty Ice poops his pants on the big stage.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Dthefritz » 31 Jan 2017, 08:19

Gregs Kite wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

The Pats had just traded Jamie Collins and were working new guys into the defense. It would stand to reason the defense that played two months ago is different than the one playing Sunday.

HOWEVA, I am not buying into the numbers. I think this New England defense is good, but it is not the #1 ranked in <insert dork ONTB stat here>. They need to limit Jones, force a turnover or two, and hope Matty Ice poops his pants on the big stage.

Nobody said New England had the best defense in the league. Their D is good and the Falcons is bad. I wouldn't have gone to the numbers if you hadn't accused me of gross bias for no reason.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Jan 2017, 08:26

Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

Nobody said New England had the best defense in the league. Their D is good and the Falcons is bad. I wouldn't have gone to the numbers if you hadn't accused me of gross bias for no reason.

New England has the number one scoring defense in the league. Everyone is mentioning that. Number one defense versus number one offense. It's kind of a big storyline.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

PreviousNext

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh