Bill Simmons Ringer Article about the NFL. Okay?

Discuss the columns here!

Bill Simmons Ringer Article about the NFL. Okay?

Postby Gregs Kite » 01 Dec 2016, 10:00

https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-malc ... .30iso2v9f

I didn't read this but it's stupid and Gladwell makes Simmons look stupid and I hope they cancel his stupid HBO show or something.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Re: Bill Simmons Ringer Article about the NFL. Okay?

Postby Briandong79 » 01 Dec 2016, 10:33

It's alright. The "secondary conversation" thing is a vaguely interesting idea. I also chuckled at the self deprecating comment about plugging AGW.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Jew Jitsu » 01 Dec 2016, 21:13

"You start thinking he's superhuman in a Affleck-as-Batman kind of way." God. What a colossal dicksucker.
ctz31 - Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:19 pm: Also blood people told me no alcohol for 24 hours. I made it 1.5.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby Dthefritz » 02 Dec 2016, 00:12

Vince Wilfork was one of the most popular Patriots of the Belichick-Brady era, but he would have counted for $8.9 million against their 2015 cap. So they dumped him in March 2015 and spent a first-round pick on Malcom Brown, who signed a four-year deal worth less than one Wilfork season. Any shrewd franchise would handle it that way, right?
Unfortunately, when you chop practice time, lean on youngsters AND incentivize franchises to dump veterans, you sacrifice a dangerous amount of continuity (as Kevin Clark predicted for The Ringer in early September). You’re asking teams — basically, every franchise that doesn’t have Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin, Harbaugh or Reid as its coach — to figure out their rosters and schemes on the fly. And you lose the old guys saying stuff like, “There’s a way we do things here,” and, “Young fella, lemme give you a little advice,” and even, “Trust me, don’t send her that dick pic.” My simple fix: Every franchise can designate two veterans who will have only half of their salaries count against a given year’s cap, as long as the veterans have spent nine straight years on that team. Why not promote a little loyalty and continuity?
(Thinking.)
Wait — this would really help the Patriots with Tom Brady’s cap figure! I LOVE THIS IDEA!

That's right, an article about how concussions are threatening the long-term future of the NFL includes this. A suggestion that changing the rules specifically to allow the New England Christriots to keep all their expensive veterans without any cap implications is a moral imperative to protect our children from photographs of scary penises on the internet.

We can only hope his washing machine becomes sentient and resovles to electrocute him.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 02 Dec 2016, 02:02

Simmons knows he sucks, right?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Gregs Kite » 02 Dec 2016, 07:50

Dthefritz wrote:
Vince Wilfork was one of the most popular Patriots of the Belichick-Brady era, but he would have counted for $8.9 million against their 2015 cap. So they dumped him in March 2015 and spent a first-round pick on Malcom Brown, who signed a four-year deal worth less than one Wilfork season. Any shrewd franchise would handle it that way, right?
Unfortunately, when you chop practice time, lean on youngsters AND incentivize franchises to dump veterans, you sacrifice a dangerous amount of continuity (as Kevin Clark predicted for The Ringer in early September). You’re asking teams — basically, every franchise that doesn’t have Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin, Harbaugh or Reid as its coach — to figure out their rosters and schemes on the fly. And you lose the old guys saying stuff like, “There’s a way we do things here,” and, “Young fella, lemme give you a little advice,” and even, “Trust me, don’t send her that dick pic.” My simple fix: Every franchise can designate two veterans who will have only half of their salaries count against a given year’s cap, as long as the veterans have spent nine straight years on that team. Why not promote a little loyalty and continuity?
(Thinking.)
Wait — this would really help the Patriots with Tom Brady’s cap figure! I LOVE THIS IDEA!

That's right, an article about how concussions are threatening the long-term future of the NFL includes this. A suggestion that changing the rules specifically to allow the New England Christriots to keep all their expensive veterans without any cap implications is a moral imperative to protect our children from photographs of scary penises on the internet.

We can only hope his washing machine becomes sentient and resovles to electrocute him.

I enjoyed him including Andy Reid in that list of coaches. See, you guys, he IS funny.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Theny » 02 Dec 2016, 08:24

Jew Jitsu wrote:"You start thinking he's superhuman in a Affleck-as-Batman kind of way." God. What a colossal dicksucker.

you know he's been wanting to shoehorn that in somewhere for a while. Probably the main reason for doing this article.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Goose » 02 Dec 2016, 09:19

I couldn't read the whole thing, but a couple of thoughts:

We reached Peak Bettman with the Vegas Golden Knights, which sounds less like an NHL expansion team and more like a brothel.

This Vegas/prostituion joke was more forced than the Affleck thing. Why would a brothel be called the Golden Knights. Unless Simpson is into being peed on my men in armor I don't get it.

This exchange did make me laugh:

Gladwell: We talked about this with DeMaurice Smith, the head of the NFL Players Association, when the three of us had our conversation back in the summer on Any Given Wednesday.

Simmons: You don’t have to plug my show anymore — it’s gone.

Gladwell: It’s a plug for the reruns!
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
OG's sponsor

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 02 Dec 2016, 13:27

Tried. Dont know who can read his garbage anymore. He should just retire. I'm sure he has enough money to live off of.

Anyway, Brian - is Liberal Bill not saying Redskins anymore?

the NFL’s signature games drew more attention than ever, in particular, Steelers-Cowboys (stupendously entertaining), Patriots-Seahawks (still hurts) and Cowboys-Deadskins (an impossible 35 million viewers on Thanksgiving!).
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 02 Dec 2016, 13:29

You don't know how much money his wife blows on doughnuts each day. Dude probably can't retire yet.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 02 Dec 2016, 13:33

oh my...the comments

Jess Wells. Dad, husband, music, art, sports, SOCIAL JUSTICE -- wash, rinse and repeat. wrote:Best sports article I’ve ever read. Not kidding. I’ve been reading BS since the early ESPN articles. This one is the best. Just devastating. Leaves me with one overpowering gut reaction. F**K the NFL. Seriously. SRSLY.

Save us, Trump.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Dthefritz » 02 Dec 2016, 19:02

Goose wrote:I couldn't read the whole thing, but a couple of thoughts:

We reached Peak Bettman with the Vegas Golden Knights, which sounds less like an NHL expansion team and more like a brothel.

This Vegas/prostituion joke was more forced than the Affleck thing. Why would a brothel be called the Golden Knights. Unless Simpson is into being peed on my men in armor I don't get it.

First of all, cats at that description.

Second of all, this is classic Bill. He spent years fulminating against the commissioners of all major sports for being too pussy to put a team in Vegas, while practically acting like he was the first to come up with the idea. Then when it finally happens, he bashes Bettman for the team's dumb name, which I'm pretty sure is not up him, but rather the owner.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mister bacon » 02 Dec 2016, 23:42

There's a hockey team in Vegas?
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Gregs Kite » 03 Dec 2016, 08:51

Yes.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Rufus » 03 Dec 2016, 14:38

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Tried. Dont know who can read his garbage anymore. He should just retire. I'm sure he has enough money to live off of.

Anyway, Brian - is Liberal Bill not saying Redskins anymore?

the NFL’s signature games drew more attention than ever, in particular, Steelers-Cowboys (stupendously entertaining), Patriots-Seahawks (still hurts) and Cowboys-Deadskins (an impossible 35 million viewers on Thanksgiving!).

He goes out of his way to say 'Native Americans' a lot when discussing the team, but at least once or twice a week he says Redskins anyway without thinking.
Rufus
Poot

Return to Stop Clicking Refresh